StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a VFR which I love becuase of its dependability and power but the ergonomics are a little bent over for my long legs. Is the Vstrom as dependable? As much fun? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Definitely V-Strom

When wanted to upgrade from the Bandit in the summer I looked at the Honda Pan European and the VFR (as well as the Triumph Sprint ST)...but opted for the V-Strom. Hondas rated higher (in British bike magazines) than the V-Strom, but I preferred the riding position and Suzuki's V-twin rather than the Honda V4. I also avoided the high Honda warranty and service costs rumoured for both the Pan and the VFR.

The V-Strom was £1000 - 3000 GBP less than the Hondas, had similar bhp output and mpg ratings, and seemed to have a far better riding position for touring. I rode the V-Strom down to Edinburgh and back in sunshine and rain yesterday (350 mi) and still looked forward to this morning's 40mi commute :p.

Maybe I prefer the road less travelled. Red and black VFRs are almost as common over here as 600 Bandits, but mine is the only V-Strom around. The only things I would improve on is the stock windscreen and ABS.

Cheers/Paul
Aberdeenshire, Scotland

·
Registered
167 Posts
As you already have a VFR, you don't need me to tell you about it. :D

I chose the V-Strom over the VFR because of the riding position. I really like the looks of the Honda but the position was too much for my neck and wrists.

As far as fun is concerned... I spend last weekend riding the backroads around my area. Mud puddles, sugar sand, uneven ground and everything in between. Places I would never take a VFR.

I have over 11K on my Strom now. The only issue I have so far is some vibration which I suspect is a throttle body sync. I did change out the windscreen to a CB and have added Givi luggage and crash bars.

Hope this helps.

steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
I came from a 2001 vfr to a 03 V Strom. If you're never going to take a trip more than 100 miles or carry a passenger stay with the VFR. Otherwise the V Strom is a much better bike. V Strom has almost the same level of performance , but with much more comfort. I enjoy riding the V Strom much more (2800 miles the first month) and am very happy I bought it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bliz said:
I came from a 2001 vfr to a 03 V Strom. If you're never going to take a trip more than 100 miles or carry a passenger stay with the VFR. Otherwise the V Strom is a much better bike. V Strom has almost the same level of performance , but with much more comfort.
Much better bike? :shock: I think that is a little embellished. I had an '02 VFR and now an '03 Strom. The VFR is/was the king of sport-tourers for many years. I added genmar risers to the VFR to get a little more comfort. On sport tours the VFR was great albiet a little aenemic when fully loaded with gear and my 220lb body. I also suffered a little wrist pain.

The Strom is more upright, has 200 more CCs, and 11 more pounds of torque. It has 10 less HP than the VFR. Personally I needed more torque and upright ergos. So the Strom was a good choice. If the VFR came with 1000 CCs, 120Hp, 80 lbs or torque and Heli Bar type ergos it would damn near be the perfect bike. YMMV.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The"much better" reference is to the performance and handling and comfort vs the Vfr. If you want a bike that is comfortable for long trips the VFR is not it. I had Helibars, a taller windshield, and a Sargents custom seat and backrest and the bike was still not comfortable for over 100 mile days. Yes the Vfr was faster and handled better, but not much. For me the comfort trade off for the small performance gain was not worth it. The Vfr was also poor at carrying a passenger. Passenger sits very high making the weight felt at low speeds and going into corners. Also VFR had little low end and had to be constantly shifted when carrying a passenger. Try reading what I wrote. Under 100 miles the Vfr is better. Over 100 miles the Strom is much better. By the way I've been riding for 34 years and the Strom is my 36 bike.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bliz,

Try being more personable in your post. The slight hostility makes you out like a jack ass. It's not my intention to argue but I do disagree with you. I had a load of goodies on my VFR also (too many to list really) and commonly did 300-500 mile days with little discomfort. If you couldn't do more than 100 miles at a time on the VFR then it wasn't the right bike for you, obviously. My recent trip was a 7 day tour through Canada and we logged many miles of twisties and open road runs.

It's all relative with bikes. What you may like another may hate.

You mentioned 2-up riding. I agree that the VFR is not the best scoot for 2-up. I would pick a Triumph ST or Apriliia Futura is I wanted a VFR style bike with better 2-up capabilities.

What you give up buying the Strom is the VFR's level of refinement. I do miss how smooth the VFR was (smoothest I have ever owned).

The Strom is a different beast entirely and to compare to a VFR is not really fair. The Strom suits my needs for ergos and torque plus it's fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Meatsac said:
If the VFR came with 1000 CCs, 120Hp, 80 lbs or torque and Heli Bar type ergos it would damn near be the perfect bike. YMMV.
Does that make it a ST1300??? :lol:

steve

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trooper246 said:
Meatsac said:
If the VFR came with 1000 CCs, 120Hp, 80 lbs or torque and Heli Bar type ergos it would damn near be the perfect bike. YMMV.
Does that make it a ST1300??? :lol:

steve
Sure if the ST weighed the same as the VFR, not to mentioned handled like it too :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for the slight hint of hostility. I meant it to be more open hostility. To say someone embellished their post is the same as calling them a liar. Also to be called a jack ass by a person with your qualities is not to painful. I gave my opinion on the VFR. It is my opinion not yours. You can post your own opinion without ridiculing others.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bliz,

You are entitled to your opinion. I would never deny you that. As I stated I don't agree. BTW the embellished comment was more assuming you were exagerating but oh well you decided to hit the low road. Also as I stated I am not here to argue, frankly your not worth my time.

Ride safe

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you crazy???

If this is Hondda Sarge, (And if its not listen [email protected]!!) is this really a question??? Ditch the ol' honda and get into the 21st century. Either the Gixxer 1K (my personal fav) or the next generation V-Strom, my friend you can not go wrong. I dont work for Suzuki but i think these are the best built, best enginered bikes one the market. Pick the right choice, pick Suzuki. J-Dog 01 Gixxer 1K

1 - 14 of 14 Posts