StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That sure is a fancy bicycle computer. :shock:
I think it's cool but not $280+ cool. It may be good for someone that is into racing but all I need is a few extra trip meters and I am set....just my $.02

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was kind of my thinking as well. I had a computer on my mountain bike where you had to connect a magnet to your spokes and the sensor on the forks and the problem with those setups is that it's difficult to accurately place them to the specifications to meet certain radius measurements, etc. Then you change tires and it throws the whole thing off because the overall diameter has changed.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a bike computer on my 650 strom and it works really well! I used some 2 part epoxy to set the magnet on the brake rotor (front wheel) and zip tied the sensor to the fork leg. You cant even see it unless it is pointed out and it adds 2 trip meters and more acurate speedo. All you have to do with the newer cpu's is set the diameter of the tire in the reset screen and VOILA...instant accuracy. Now I know how fast I am going, not how fast the bike thinks it's going. About 10% off all the time.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thefifthcircle said:
I have a bike computer on my 650 strom and it works really well! I used some 2 part epoxy to set the magnet on the brake rotor (front wheel) and zip tied the sensor to the fork leg. You cant even see it unless it is pointed out and it adds 2 trip meters and more acurate speedo. All you have to do with the newer cpu's is set the diameter of the tire in the reset screen and VOILA...instant accuracy. Now I know how fast I am going, not how fast the bike thinks it's going. About 10% off all the time.
Hey! I happen to have a bicycle computer that I'm not using... Maybe this Winter you could help me set it up on my V-Strom? If I like that, I might get another for the scooter too.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put a sigma bike speedo on and it is awesome! The only thing i would recommend (only thought of the reasoning on my first trip!) that you go for the model that allows two wheel sizes...i thinkit is their most expensive sigma model...and it is still only about $40 cdn. The reasoning is that if you travel between U.S. and Canada, having the two measurments (metric and imperial) allows you to choose between km and mph with the push of a button. With the single wheel size models, you have to have the measurement written down somewhere and manually enter it to swith the computer over. Otherwise an awesome addition (including time travelled, odo. and fun ting...max speed travelled on journey. Measures almost exactly 10% off, with an indicated 220 km per on bike registering 200.7 on comp...and that was all she had. I just got in tonight from a great ride testing out my customized headphones but will start a thread for anyone interested and maybe get pictures up as well.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Bob i did, but now i can argue with the REAL speed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is kind of changing the thread. Sorry.

One of those Streetfighter mags (can't remember which one, did a quick scan of the article while buying groceries) out right now has a product test article on radar detectors. To fully equip yourself with the very latest and very best in radar and laser detection devices and to have a special light installed on your helmet near eye level that receives a wireless signal from the radar detectgor and flashes red when ever the radar detector goes off will cost you a mere US$800. Ouch. You could pay a lot of tickets with that kind of money, and most of this technology will be out-of-date in a couple of years. The good news is that this equipment beats even the most sophisticated stuff the cops have. The radar detector was able to detect the newest radar devices, operated by trained off duty cops, from an amazing 11 miles away. I'm not sure I want it to be that good. I'd feel compelled to slow down, not sure if they were around the corner or not, and I might have to wait 11 miles. Just one mile away will make me happy.

The device to beat the laser technology basically made the bike invisible to the laser detectors. When the cops tried to take a bead on it, nothing came up on their screen. The weakness of that is if you are in a state/province where this kind of equipment is illegal, the cops will immediately know you have the technology on your bike somewhere, so what's the point in having it if you are going to get a ticket for that and get your laser defeating technology confiscated? And they'll probably grab your radar detector at the same time.

The laser devices the cops use can only work when the cop is standing still, and they don't work very well through glass, so they can't get you while driving and normally need to be outside of your car. This may make the cops a bit easier to spot. And if a copy nails you with a laser device from inside his car shooting through the glass, you will have a good chance if you choose to fight it in court since the accuracy can be thrown off by the glass.

So maybe we can watch carefully for the laser gun guys and still get by with just the radar detectors, but you do need the very best latest ones to defeat the new pulse radar guns that the cops use. These guns can also pick out something as small as a bike with no problem even if it's mixed in among some fast-moving semi's.

Bob

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no detection for the airborn smokey! A pilot with a stopwatch will get you no matter how much techno crap you have! I think that I will just stay as close to the speed limit as I can....sometimes it is not that close :D Good read though and thanks for some interesting info.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one of the Veypor units on my V Strom. Easy to read, accurate MPH, and I noticed that the tach on the Strom is off by 500 rpm at 5,000 rpms. The stock tack reads high. I love the shift light, I set mine to 8,000 rpm. Of course I should reprogram it to turn red after I pass 75 mph, on long rides I can look at the speedo and see that I'm doing 90. I like the gear indicator. While in gear I know exactly what gear I'm in. Pull in the clutch and the reading floats. No real big deal. I also have played with the 1/4 mile timing. At the drag strip I did a 13.15 at 109 mph. Being just a bit more conserative on a empty road, the Veypor had me at 13.16 at 107. The Vepor downloads to my home computer and charts the whole run. Really lets me know how I ran. I will get my horsepower readings just as soon as I weigh the bike and and add myself on it. I plan to chart the modifications I make and see if they really do any good. It is worth the $300 to me. And it switches from US to metric real easily..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts