StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stator has failed on my '12 Strom 650 for the second time this last friday. I contacted my local dealer to see what can be done. They put a call in for the warranty status and just got a reply today that it will NOT be covered.

The reason they gave me. since it happened twice they are concerned about after market electronics on the bike.
What a load of sh!#
I paid for the extended warranty so that if something happened like this, I would be covered, and Suzuki just turns their back on me. Now I have to spend money I can not spare to buy a stator and hope that the regulator is ok because I just can't afford to get it right now. And since my jeep is currently in pieces while I rebuild the engine (where all my money is going) My storm was my only working vehicle. So I guess I just come up short on rent this month.

If it was a problem that just never happened, maybe I could understand, but with the weak stators in these bikes they have to accept that it can happen multiple times to one person.

I love my storm, but I can not in good conscience recommend a Suzuki to anyone anymore. They just do not stand behind their product.

for the record, the total aftermarket electronics on the bike include
1: Adapter for garbing heated gloves. (Not used in months due to it being summer, so no draw at all)
2: Cigarette plug with a dual USB charger adapter in it. One port used to charge a phone.
3: Stand alone USB charger, connected to an iPod.

so not exactly taxing the electrical system.

·
Registered
740 Posts
stator stress invariant with load when using shunt R/R

Stator has failed on my '12 Strom 650 for the second time this last friday. I contacted my local dealer to see what can be done. They put a call in for the warranty status and just got a reply today that it will NOT be covered.

The reason they gave me. since it happened twice they are concerned about after market electronics on the bike.
What a load of sh!#
Yes, that's a load of BS. With the shunt regulator used on the bike, the stator runs at the same current regardless of what loads are on the +12 bus. [a]

I would be happy to testify and prove that assertion in a lawsuit commenced to enforce that warranty.

[a. Actually, running the +12 bus at higher load reduces current through the stator by a small amount compared to what flows at nominal load. So if added loads have any effect at all, it is to incrementally decrease temperature stress in the stator windings. It's a small change, but in a direction which makes Suzuki's avoidance of the warranty claim more purely BS. ]

I paid for the extended warranty so that if something happened like this, I would be covered, and Suzuki just turns their back on me. Now I have to spend money I can not spare to buy a stator and hope that the regulator is ok because I just can't afford to get it right now. And since my jeep is currently in pieces while I rebuild the engine (where all my money is going) My storm was my only working vehicle. So I guess I just come up short on rent this month.

If it was a problem that just never happened, maybe I could understand, but with the weak stators in these bikes they have to accept that it can happen multiple times to one person.

I love my storm, but I can not in good conscience recommend a Suzuki to anyone anymore. They just do not stand behind their product.

for the record, the total aftermarket electronics on the bike include
1: Adapter for garbing heated gloves. (Not used in months due to it being summer, so no draw at all)
2: Cigarette plug with a dual USB charger adapter in it. One port used to charge a phone.
3: Stand alone USB charger, connected to an iPod.

so not exactly taxing the electrical system.
I think a class-action lawsuit would be appropriate. For Suzuki to collect extended warranty money and renege on their bargain based upon a provably false rationale is despicable. (And if they truly do not know that rationale is false, then their engineers responsible for that subsystem are morons.)

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
"so not exactly taxing the electrical system."

To the Corporate thought process, if we didn't offer it, you don't need it!
Easter Beaver saves a lot of systems, Voltage regulators saves others.
When you start modifying things, you become the liability.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,307 Posts
Do you have a Suzuki branded extended service plan ( there are no extended factory warranty programs unless the manufacturer decides to extend it )? If so, was Suzuki themselves the ones that denied the service claim? Or did the Dealer say it isn't covered? Quite common for extended service companies ( even Suzuki branded isn't likely handled by Suzuki ) to try to refuse a claim the first time. REALLY cuts down their claim costs! I would clear up who denied the claim, look over your policy to see if you can find an exception, and inform the service company they are liable for the claim and that you will seek recourse.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Do you have a Suzuki branded extended service plan ( there are no extended factory warranty programs unless the manufacturer decides to extend it )? If so, was Suzuki themselves the ones that denied the service claim? Or did the Dealer say it isn't covered? Quite common for extended service companies ( even Suzuki branded isn't likely handled by Suzuki ) to try to refuse a claim the first time. REALLY cuts down their claim costs! I would clear up who denied the claim, look over your policy to see if you can find an exception, and inform the service company they are liable for the claim and that you will seek recourse.
I agree, read your agreement carefully and keep pushing it as much as you can. Default denial would not surprise me at all.

Write some letters to Suzuki corporate, and file complaints wherever you can and you might get some traction.

Be respectful at each step though. If you seem unhinged, then they'll assume you are just venting.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,307 Posts
To add another point, keep all records of purchases if you buy the stator or pay the dealer to install it. Even though they may not pay now, you might be able to be reimbursed.

This is why I do NOT recommend extended service plans! While not everyone can pay out of pocket for repairs without too much pain, those that buy these extended service agreements just so they don't have to face large repair bills often get the shaft from them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Small claims.
Given the documented history on Strom sites you should have a great case.
A couple of folks have electronics/electrical training and can write an "expert opinion" document with their bona fides to qualify as an expert.
As mentioned the fact this thing is wired to a shunt regulator pretty much ensures any farkles like a USB port isn't going to faze the stators in the least.
Small claims is cheap and likely to result in a settlement since the court time is likely more expensive than the cost of fixing the issue.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please post who your dealer is, thanks
I go to Rizzon's in middlesex. Great dealer, have been going to him since I started riding. he said they went back and forth with the warranty higher ups trying to get me approved but kept getting a no. The said maybe if I contacted suzuki that I might be able to get them to do something, but I doubt it. I have to fix the bike now and I know they will tell me "Well since you worked on it yourself.... blah blah blah."

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The Suzuki Extended Protection Plan (SEPP) is actually a product of Cornerstone United.
https://www.cornerstoneunited.com/english/products.html

The dealership needs to get paid. If Cornerstone won't pay, the dealer is stuck. Get something in writing about why they won't pay. Compare that to the fine print in the contract you got when you bought the SEPP. You might have a small claims case for the price you paid for the SEPP against the dealership you bought the SEPP from. As Terry said, these are not a warranty, so call them a plan, just to be accurate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard today that Rizzon's has been sold to the Metuchen Mafia off Exit 2 on 287
Yeah, Rick is retiring. I knew he was talking about it for a while and the last few months the signs were there. their bike stock is over at metuchen and they are selling off their parts and accessories.

I really am happy for him, as he has been good to me these years, but it sucks to loose a good dealer like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts