StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not on my bike, just thought it "interesting". I remember these kits being offered years ago, maybe by "Touratech"??? I guess the idea is to move the cooler to the side, out of the line of fire from the front tire......and maybe increasing cooling effect?? Can only assume it included longer oil lines. The photos of this bike (2008 Wee) were copied off an ebay ad for a dealership selling the bike. Seems to have alot of Touratech Farkles on it (brake pedal, pegs, panniers, etc).
Anyone here know of one being used....??/ Did it work?? Any negative points??

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't know that it is needed. I have gone all over my wee motor including oil cooler and oil filter with an infra red thermometer and I can't get more than 200 F unless I aim it at the exhaust pipes. this is with it running in the warm temps of Phoenix AZ ! I have got up close to 300 F on previous bikes. maybe it is safer from road debris that way. it would be a good idea to add a thermal bypass valve for when the oil is cold and in colder temperatures.

RLBranson

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have this kit on my 650 and yes it is a discontinued Touratech product.
The cooler had to be moved with this skid plate design.
It is supposed to move the cooler so rocks do not hit it riding dirt also moves it away from the exhaust header.
My only dislike is you have to rotate the radiator hose on the right side so it does not rub on the cooler and kinks the hose a little if you do not shorten it.
Occasionally you can find just the cooler relocation kit or the full kit with scrape plate on eBay.
My biggest problem I had is no installation instructions and one mounting hole is drilled in the wrong spot.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
BMW air heads had a remote oil cooler. I switched engines from an 800 to a newer 1000cc engine and mounted the oil cooler on the brace for the sidecar mount. It's adds a bit more oil and provided more cooling.
Nice but not essential to the operation of the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is common to remove the cooler on SV's as they do not appear to be necessary. You must remove the restrictor behind the oil filter, however, of you will toast the bearings.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It is common to remove the cooler on SV's as they do not appear to be necessary. You must remove the restrictor behind the oil filter, however, of you will toast the bearings.
Is their any gain by removing it?
In the Nevada heat I only see it as an advantage to get rid of heat.
Think the radiator and oil cooler combo is perfect for the desert environment.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder, given its placement directly behind the exhaust header, how much cooling it actually does?
These engines typically run pretty cool
I suppose if I was planning on riding in the desert I would keep it on there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts