StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello New Englanders. I'm stuck here on Long Island with a bunch of mess on the ground (not nearly as much as most of you folks, I know) As a result I've just been looking at the Wee for almost two months now. I usually get to go on 5 or more 3 day riding weekends during the riding season. The last few years my rides have been through New England exclusively......It's where I feel most comfortable and relaxed. In my spare time I've been planning my Spring and Summer trips. I'm looking at the Vermont Gaps in particular. In the past I've done Rts. 17, 73 and 125 so I'm interested in exploring the remaining ones (Lincoln, Roxbury and Rochester). I'll go off road to a certain extent but I do prefer blacktop or hard packed dirt at worst. I would imagine that all those roads are beautiful but I'm interested in finding out any information and recommendations that you guys might have.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Ya need TAPE

If you are visiting Vermont, you may want to put some reflective tape
on your helmet. Vermont's laws require it, and of course a cop who has
not achieved his quota of tickets just loves a law like this.

Cop: There is no quota; that is just a dirty rumor.
Me: OK, but tell me, have you reached your dirty rumor for this month?
Do the research or not, and put the tape on your lid, or not.

Just enjoy your ride. I like Vermont. As in most other states and provinces,
the people are the most important reason to like Vermont.

Keith

·
Registered
468 Posts
Been riding in VT for decades and never put any reflective tape on any of our helmets.

The 6 gaps route that Tnkrplt showed you is a good one. Done that ride many times before.

If you are looking for a place to stay in the area you really can't beat the Commodores Inn in Stowe. They are pro motorcycles and some really nice folks. Tends to be a bit less expensive than most of the other places, and they put on a good buffet style country breakfast and buffet dinner every night. I ran some FJR owner meetings in VT for three years and we used the Commodores as the base camp.

We had some pretty great ride routes mapped out for our gatherings that start and end in Stowe, which you are welcome to use. The routes include the previously mentioned 6 Gaps route, but with Smugglers Notch added in. Also have a Covered Bridges tour that takes you down a bunch of hard packed dirt roads. Another really great pavement only ride is the Northeast Kingdom ride up along the CT river. Nice twisty roads with very little traffic.

You can download my GPS files here:

FJR NERDS 2013 Ride Routes (Garmin GDB format)

FJR NERDS 2013 Ride Routes (Generic GPX format)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. That VT Gaps ride from Tnkrplt seems like it would be a wonderful day's ride. I'm too old and soft for camping these days so I'll find a decent motel south of Rochester. One days ride from Long Island to that motel.......Day 2 the Gaps ride......and Day 3 a different route back to Long Island. MELT SNOW, MELT!
Thanks Randyo for the road surface report on the roads that I haven't been on. I'll make it up to those more northern roads (108 and 58 ) a different trip.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you'll be looking to stay south of the Gaps ride, your best bet may be in the Killington area, intersection of Rte 100 and Rte 4. There isn't much between there and Rochester. You can get a decent room in Killington in the warm (no snow) season for only one arm or a leg. ;-) Cheaper places are available over in Rutland.

That's a lot of crappy road riding from LI for just a single day of fun. Might want to stretch your time in VT out if you can.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will probably stay in Rutland. I kinda like those chain motels. After all these years of traveling from Long Island to the civilized world I've found quite a few nice routes. I always take a ferry across the Sound and make my way up through Connecticut. Some OK roads in western Ct but I usually just take Ct Rt8 straight up to Mass. Quite a few nice two lane roads in central and western Mass. The triangle between Greenfield, Williamstown and Brattleboro is filled with beautiful, empty little roads.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
If you are visiting Vermont, you may want to put some reflective tape
on your helmet. Vermont's laws require it, and of course a cop who has
not achieved his quota of tickets just loves a law like this.

Cop: There is no quota; that is just a dirty rumor.
Me: OK, but tell me, have you reached your dirty rumor for this month?
Do the research or not, and put the tape on your lid, or not.

Just enjoy your ride. I like Vermont. As in most other states and provinces,
the people are the most important reason to like Vermont.

Keith
no mention of reflective material in Vermont's helmet law only that it must comply with DOT requirements 49 C.F.R. § 571.218

the confusion exists because the pdf that you can download from the fed regulation includes a chart from 49 C.F.R. § 571.217 that describes a reflective surface for school busses. 49 C.F.R. § 571.218 regulation starts midpage 1012

Vermont Laws

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-218.pdf

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-217.pdf

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I will probably stay in Rutland. I kinda like those chain motels. After all these years of traveling from Long Island to the civilized world I've found quite a few nice routes. I always take a ferry across the Sound and make my way up through Connecticut. Some OK roads in western Ct but I usually just take Ct Rt8 straight up to Mass. Quite a few nice two lane roads in central and western Mass. The triangle between Greenfield, Williamstown and Brattleboro is filled with beautiful, empty little roads.
If you're heading over to Greenfield you should ride the Puppy Dog Trail...

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Where is that Puppy Dog Trail? I couldn't find it on google maps
Derj,
Do a google search. The puppy dog trail is a dirt road trail from the Quebec border to the Mass. Border going through the State of Vt. Great riding on relatively hard packed dirt. This trail was put together by a local BMW group.

B.T.W., grew up in E. Meadow when L.I. was a great place to live. If you ever want to ride the Adirondacks, p.m. me for some great riding.:thumbup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Chirosyd. I found tons of stuff on the Puppy Dog trail with a google search. Looks beautiful but a bit too much dirt for me. These days I'm a blacktop kind of a guy. I'm in North Merrick....just south of where you grew up. Been there since 91. As you can imagine, the area is pretty much of a zoo these days. Cramped, angry people always in a rush.
Have you ever attended the Bennington Bash? It's mostly a bunch of Triumph guys who split into 4 or 5 groups and go off on different runs. I attended from 09 to 11 when I had my SV. I always chose the group that rode from Bennington to the Eastern Adirondacks (Tracy Rd.) and back.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
No Gap ride is complete without the gap between Moretown on Rte100B and Northfield on 12 where you will cross three covered bridges in a minutes time and is also good to link up the AppGap with the Roxbury Gap. Half paved and half improved gravel surface.

Turn at the Moretown store.......

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Hi Chirosyd. I found tons of stuff on the Puppy Dog trail with a google search. Looks beautiful but a bit too much dirt for me. These days I'm a blacktop kind of a guy. I'm in North Merrick....just south of where you grew up. Been there since 91. As you can imagine, the area is pretty much of a zoo these days. Cramped, angry people always in a rush.
Have you ever attended the Bennington Bash? It's mostly a bunch of Triumph guys who split into 4 or 5 groups and go off on different runs. I attended from 09 to 11 when I had my SV. I always chose the group that rode from Bennington to the Eastern Adirondacks (Tracy Rd.) and back.
Tracey Road is in my backyard. Great road, the French Canadians love to come down on the weekend and ride the hell out of Tracey Road on their sport bikes. Have'nt been to the Bennington Bash, but sounds good. My dance card is filled this year - Romney WV April 30, Mohawk Trail weekend in Mass in May, Americade early June, Henryville QB June 13/14 in Southern Quebec, NEVA '15 July 30-Aug. 2 in Old Forge and the Fall Peep Show in Maine Sept. 24-27.

PM me if you are interesting in heading up this way.

I left L.I. in '81 after getting married, as it was getting too busy back then and didn't want a life of "keeping up with the Jones". Ride safe.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, you are busy! The Bennington Bash has always just preceded Americaid. Once or twice I considered going from Bennington right to Lake George but for some reason I didn't......actually the reason has always been that I was too tired. I don't tax myself too much these days. If it turns out that I plan to be in your area this season I will send you a PM.
Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
No Gap ride is complete without the gap between Moretown on Rte100B and Northfield on 12 where you will cross three covered bridges in a minutes time and is also good to link up the AppGap with the Roxbury Gap. Half paved and half improved gravel surface.

Turn at the Moretown store.......
That is Moretown Mountain Rd and Cox Brook Road, FWIW. Cox Brook is where the three covered bridges are. This is a part of the Puppy Dog Route as I recall.

That's my 'strom in the foreground.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
You could come up past Syd's area and up RT# 9n to Ticonderoga and take the ferry across. Go up Rt# 73 to rt# 30 into Middlebury and over 125 (Middlebury Gap) to rt#100 up to Rochester and then over the Rochester Gap to Bethel VT. from there you can go back down 89 to Rutland or take rt# 12 to Woodstock and up rt# 4 to Rutland.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts