StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I bought a used bike that has a Ventura rack on it. I don't like Ventura racks or bags that much as I think they are ugly BUT since I already have one installed I thought to just buy a bag instead of getting a new GIVI system.

The only thing I don't understand about this Ventura systems is how can I protect my gear when I leave the bike? It seems very easy to open or simply to remove the bag from the rack. Also, it doesn't seem to be that great in stormy weather.

Any suggestions or pro/ cos on getting either luggage systems?

Cheers
Micha

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've run Ventura on sportbikes since 95-96 as there wasn't much else out there for them. Soft saddlebags always damaged side panel paint, no matter what you did to protect it...it was a good alternative, all your stuff sitting on the seat behind you.

Rain....I would put a large plastic trashbag into the Ventura bag, a waterproof liner. Theft...nothing you can secure, it was always a risk.

Something like a Vstrom, I'd never use Ventura. Givi topcase without hesitation.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
It seems very easy to open or simply to remove the bag from the rack. Also, it doesn't seem to be that great in stormy weather.

A Pacsafe will sort out the security and prove useful in all sorts of other situations as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just finished a big trip with the Euro Rally Ventura Bag on the Strom and no complaints. I has a storm cover if needed that can be tied under the bag to prevent flapping. I reverse my bag and have it sitting on the pillion seat so I find no issues with air flow around me where I tend to think there could be issues with a gap between rider and top box mounted way back. Also leaves the back of the rack for light additional luggage.

I have since discovered that the Ventura rack and the Givi mounts will go on the bike together with a few small alterations.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have now used both,never had anything stolen from ventura bags and nothing in them got wet, this surprised me as I don't think they claim to be waterproof. You can also quickly slide the bag off the rack and take everything with you whereas with the top box you have to have something to put your things in. The other advantages are that the adjust with load and you can place little things in the side pockets without opening the bigger bag. The hard top box looks better.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I tend to think there could be issues with a gap between rider and top box mounted way back. Also leaves the back of the rack for light additional luggage.
To right there. Put 10kg or so of camera gear in a top box sticking out behind the back wheel and you very quickly notice the rotten affect on the handling. Getting the load back closer to the rider is way better from a weight distribution point of view,

You can also quickly slide the bag off the rack and take everything with you whereas with the top box you have to have something to put your things in.
With a Givi at least you turn the key 45 degrees and push the catch in that releases the box from the holder and then carry the box like a suitcase using the inbuilt carry handle. I'd call that pretty much a draw.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've used Ventura for years with the 59 litre expandable euro bag 5 days a week on a couple of bikes. Yep it does leak a tad through the bottom but I've sorted this by rubbinbg bees wax on the bottom stiching. 2 or 3 applications and it lasts through Melbournes winter.

Ive gone ventura again with my new strom I dont have a car so I need a luggage system that can hold lots of stuff at varying times and is easily removed. Grocerys, car batterys, xmas shopping its a very versatile system that can hold far more than the racks rated weight:jawdrop:

I was rather amused that when ordering my new rack I had to remove one third of the inside tag from my old Euro bag and give it to the bike shop before they could place the order (wtf?)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Guys
I bought a used bike that has a Ventura rack on it. I don't like Ventura racks or bags that much as I think they are ugly BUT since I already have one installed I thought to just buy a bag instead of getting a new GIVI system.

The only thing I don't understand about this Ventura systems is how can I protect my gear when I leave the bike? It seems very easy to open or simply to remove the bag from the rack. Also, it doesn't seem to be that great in stormy weather.

Cheers
Micha
well ive decided to go the complete givi system, 46lt top box, 35lt panniers. just did a 1,500km trip to tamworth, with rain rain and rain. you dont have to worry about security or weather when it comes too them. only this is the cost, well over $1,500 but, if you want the peace of mind, then you cant pass these. certainly others have there ideas but, i love the givi. easy fitted, easily come off and put straight into the hotel, great system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts