StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few points online about what to use in leu of scottoiler brand oil however, my question comes from a more earth friendly concern. From a chain's perspective, is it okay to use canola or vegetable oil? After using my oiler, I happy with how it's working but in the back of my mind, I am not liking the fact that I am putting 250ml of oil on the road every few months.

Any thoughts? Will the oil gum up/foam?

Thanks,
-g

·
Registered
766 Posts
Seriously? aaaaaaa neither are a lubricant. If you wear out the drive train and have to replace it significantly sooner then when using a LUBRICANT, what is the environmental impact of producing, packaging, transportation of those replacement parts to the end user make??

I use Dumonde Tech BHP (which you can use in a Scottoiler). It lasts longer, you use sparingly, doesn't put "oil all over the road"...... It makes an smaller environmental impact of lesser quality, shorter life span, more often applied chain lubes.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Is this a serious question? Canola oil? Veggie oil? Really?:confused: Gum up or foam? Dude, I think you need to worry about the lubrication properties not whether it will gum up/foam or not...

The Exxon Valdez did more environmental damage in the first 3 seconds of the oil spill then you will ever do in a life time if you flushed all your used oil down your toilet...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, well... what can I say? Serious question. I know a few people who use rapeseed on their chain saws. On any O ring chain, I would have thought it could work.

As for foaming, bio-based oils mixed with mineral oils will for sure foam.

Just thought I'd ask - who knows. Besides, see the Posts? I'm still a newbie.

·
Registered
766 Posts
A chain saw is not a motorcycle. A bicycle is not a motorcycle. They all have chains but..... Rapseed, canola, veggie oil, soy oil suck as a chain lube on bicycle as well.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I have read a few points online about what to use in leu of scottoiler brand oil however, my question comes from a more earth friendly concern. From a chain's perspective, is it okay to use canola or vegetable oil? After using my oiler, I happy with how it's working but in the back of my mind, I am not liking the fact that I am putting 250ml of oil on the road every few months.

Any thoughts? Will the oil gum up/foam?

Thanks,
-g
The eco-perspective is don't use Canola oil; you'd be supporting genetic engineering (I don't care though; I'm all for genetic engineering, but I don't agree with Monsanto's approach).

Canola oil isn't a good lubricant. If you want to use a vegetable oil, I suggest you use olive oil (doesn't have to be first-press). Its lubrication properties are similar to the ATF fluid I use in mine, but it's quite a bit thicker. (Your question was serious, and so is my answer). The drawback is that it goes rancid.

Olive oil is better than no lube and constant lube is better than intermittent lube (which is what everyone without an oiler is doing).

I recommend ATF in your oiler; it's really good and very cheap. The environmental impact is quite minimal as most of it will end up on your left sidecase. But I think olive oil will do the job; I'm quite serious about that.

I just thought of something: when I was flying R/C airplanes, I'd fuel them with a mixture of nitromethane and castor oil (2stroke engines). Castor oil would probably be the best eco-friendly oil you can put on your chain. Many a two-stroke miniature engine can vouch for its lubricating properties; I've run engines for hundreds of hours, and their usable speed was in the 20,000 to 40,000 rpm range.

Yeah, try castor oil. That's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Being an o-ring chain, I think just about any oil would work okay. Not as good as chain lube, but still okay. It would keep the chain cleaner than not using oil.

I say try it. I bet you get between 15-20000 miles on your chain just like everyone else.

But I say be even more green and use recycled restaurant oil.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
then again

Maybe you've identified a niche for one of the oil companies to refine an organic chain lube. But most of the natural (cooking) oils are quite sticky after a short period of time. I suspect your chain would grow fur, hardly ideal for the sprockets. When you're putting a ton or two of CO2 in the atmosphere and several pounds of 'rubber' dust as well, not to mention micro-soot (probably the next big health threat), a few ounces of oil on the road tend to pale by comparison. And a good deal of that will end up splattered on your bike anyway. If you are looking for environmentally friendly, walk. Otherwise, own your vices.

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
unlike solvents, gasoline or antifreeze, oil binds with soil quickly, it doesn't get in the water table and more than the road asphalt itself, another petroleum product

I would suggest, not riding or using any motorized vehicles or even using electricity or burning a campfire if your so concerned about pollution

this is the most absurd thread I've ever seen

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Kool aide
Feel the guilt, you human you.

Its not like oil comes from the earth.

Mineral oil isn't bad for things. What do you think the world does with the stickiest blackest thickess glue smelling crude oil ?

We mix it with gravel and sand and spread it all over the environment, its called pavement.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would suggest, not riding or using any motorized vehicles or even using electricity or burning a campfire if your so concerned about pollution

Campfires/Forest fires cause air pollution .... :green_lol:

·
Registered
22,333 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Castor oil? O M G
1. It is to thick to run out of an oiler.
2. It will make a HUGE f----n mess on a chain, sprockets, engine, rim etc... as self oilers make a f----n mess any way.
3. It's designed to burn.

Black top is a petroleum. Hundreds of thousand of miles have been laid down. Your occasional drip because of over application has the head of a pin impact.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, very small impact I know - I get it. Didn't mean for everyone's panties to get into a knot with such a preposterous questions, heh. I just thought that with a constant drip of ANY veggie oil, it would be fine on an O ring chain.

After all, I have used bar oil in my scottoiler before and so do many other people. Rapeseed oil is common as well for chainsaws, so, there is still an ounce of logic behind it. I am not doubting that traditional oil is the best, but like I said, just wondering. Perhaps I should have put this in the off topic section.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Burning wood puts carbon into the atmosphere that the tree already pulled out of it. Hypothetically (aside from cutting and transporting it) burning wood is carbon neutral.

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
Burning wood puts carbon into the atmosphere that the tree already pulled out of it. Hypothetically (aside from cutting and transporting it) burning wood is carbon neutral.
and oil is just stored carbon that a plankton pulled out of the environment

unless yer transporting stuff in from outerspace or your using fission or fusion everything originated here naturally

why is it some states require catalytic converters on wood stoves if burning wood don't pollute

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I didn't think the original question was dumb.............

But I don't want every dog in the neighborhood licking my chain/sprockets every time I come to a stoplight either........!!!!!!! :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yea, very small impact I know - I get it. Didn't mean for everyone's panties to get into a knot with such a preposterous questions, heh. I just thought that with a constant drip of ANY veggie oil, it would be fine on an O ring chain.
I don't think your question was ludicrous, although using canola (rapeseed) or other polyunsaturated cooking oils might not be the best best. There are biodegradable chain and bar oils that might be suitable. If it will lubricate chainsaw bars and chains, I don't see why it couldn't work for motorcycle chains.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
this is the most absurd thread I've ever seen
Says the pot to the kettle...

Don't you put motorcycle tires on your truck or something? :green_lol:

Frankly, I'd be more concerned with the wet climate around these parts washing it all off before he made it around the block.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts