StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was headed down the road on my way to change my tires the other day at 55 mph. I still had my extremely worn out Battlewings on the bike. Right smack dab in my path appeared a front axle from a 4x4. The axle was laying at about a 30 degree angle (1 O'clock position) from my line.

I pegged the middle of the darn thing. No time to react. Bump bump and ...... nothing. She kept right on going. Straight line, no bad behavior at all.

Not at all how I would have thought this would have gone.

Thanks Suzuki.

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I learned to stay further back from traffic on highways because one time I ran over a huge piece of a truck tire laying in the middle of the road. I rode right over it and nothing happened but that's because I luckily hit it right in the middle and it layed flat when I ran over it. Now I stay back far enough to be able to react in time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting. I had a very similar scenario a few weeks ago. Luckily in my scenario traffic had slowed enough that I was able to get around the axle pretty easily. However, it was at an awkward angle like you described and I wondered what would have happened if I had hit it.

Chalk that one up to some nice riding skills!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Jeezus! I reckon if I was to have those experiences, the first "accident" would've been in my pants!!! :(

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
And of course you stopped to remove it from the road right? I guess it fell off the back of a truck or something?

no, I probably wouldn't have stopped either. Let the police do it, they have flashing lights for safety.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Glad to hear that it all turned out Ok in the end.:yesnod:

These bikes are solid as on the road and seem to handle things really well.

Takes this incident with GotaV2, bloody thing hit near the footpeg & went under the bike.

Bike stayed as steady as a rock, good riding skills help but the bike certainly plays a part. (You can see the roo in the rear view mirror at 1:07)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAhUaVs37xQ

And this was all the damage I sustained when a small wallaby came out of the long grass without any warning & hit my front wheel while I was doing 110Klm's, the bike gave a wobble but that's it.

They really are a very stable ride.

Cheers V2man

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's good to know the bike can take a hit like that and stay stable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Close call..

I'm impressed almost every time I ride mine how well the suspension works..

I love it more and more every day I ride it, It's a very unrated motorcycle IMO..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Glad you are OK, Rick. I had a similar experience riding my KTM 450 EXC a few years ago. Hit a washout on a dirt road, coming over a low hump, at good speed and all I could do is hang on for the fall and nothing happened. thump thump and I was through it, still on the bike. When I was dirt riding 40 years earlier I would have landed on my head, ahead of the bike! Today's suspension is really good and coupled with your skills, you had a real favorable result. Good going. Say HI to Gloria for me. Bobby

·
Administrator
17,362 Posts
Glad your OK Rick, and feel free to give yourself plenty of credit for staying right side up. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
reflex , a wonderful thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts