StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't shake that feeling like I was missing out on something by not giving the S10 and VFR1200X a fair comparison against my 15 DL1K Adv. So, today I went to a local Honda dealer that had both bikes in stock. The Honda was a 2016 and the S10 was a 2013 that was absolutely loaded with all the farkles you could think of.

S10 2013
I started off on the S10 and man did the bike feel huge compared to my Vee2. I instantly loved the ergos as the pegs were set back further and the stock risers put the bars at the right location for me (I'm 5'11" @ 255lbs with a longer torso than legs, i.e. a 30" inseam). The seat was really comfortable and had plenty of room for me to move around in the saddle. The S10 had 16k miles on the odo and purred like a kitten. I did notice a few noises I wasn't sure of during the acceleration and deceleration of the bike, but over all the S10 ran out good on the highway and had no issues keeping speed. The engine did seem to run out of steam early though and made a lot of noise for less go than the other bikes. The suspension was much more plush than the Vee2 and I have mine set for my weight. The S10 had a Madstad with a touring screen along with the wind winglets installed on each side of the dash. The wind management on the S10 were fantastic. While on the highway, I kept finding myself looking twice, maybe three times before I changed lanes as I felt like the bike didn't have the kick in the pants I was looking for to manage the heavy traffic. I never felt any real heat from the bike and it was 90 degrees out here today. All in all it road really well, it handled well and it had good power, but nothing in the engine department that had me going "Yeah Baby!".

VFR1200X 2016
I decided to ride the DCT version of this bike and it was absolutely weird not having a clutch lever. I never really missed the shifter lever, but I was reaching for the clutch lever a lot. The Big Honda felt narrower than the S10, but bigger than the Vee2. The bike had very similar ergos to the Vee2 and it seems the suspension travel is the same as well. The difference is that it was much more taught than my Vee2, but I am sure someone could set it up softer for their liking. The seat to bar ratio had a little more distance than the Vee2 with a much wider stance on the bars. I found myself inching forward to compensate and with that movement, I found I was sliding my butt forward towards the tank as the seat profile is slightly angled forward. The pegs felt more forward that the S10 or even the Vee2, I kind of confirmed this at stops when my feet went down behind the pegs on this bike. With the Vee2, I find my feet are always in contention with the same space as the pegs. On the S10, my feet were forward of the pegs. The engine on the Big Honda was very powerful and pulled almost like the Vee2, but seemed a little tempered based on the TC mode you had it in. With the TC off, I could get the bike to step out on the pavement under acceleration. The Big Honda was nimble and well balanced, I never looked more than once in the mirrors when I changed lanes. The Big Honda could manage the heavy traffic with authority and would settle in at 80 mph with no drama. The adjustable screen was great on the road and I settled for a middle of range height setting in the wind buffeting columns on the interstate. One thing to note, I got stopped in heavy traffic on the highway, say 10 minutes or so. I felt no heat from the bike, but once under way, I found that your inner ankles, set next to the aluminum frame, would get very very warm. Once I made it back to the dealer, I checked this space with my hands and it was very hot on both sides. It seems the engine heat transfers to these two spars fairly easily and could create some hot boots for a rider in a hotter climate. Overall the ride was fun, but for me it was really too close to the Vee2 in the ergo department to see this as a replacement for me.

After riding these two bikes, I came back to the dealer to pick up my Vee2. During the ride back to the house, I compared the Vee2 yet again to the S10 and the Big Honda. The ergos seem almost right for me, but I would like a little more rise/pullback on my bars. The seat is just to damn hard, I will be picking up the seat concepts flat seat to remedy that. As for the wind management, I am running the short factory screen on the lowest setting. I will pick up a Givi Airflow or cut down my factory screen, still undecided. On the highway the bike is not lacking as I previously had thought. The Vtwin motor is a gem and pulls at any speed. I never seem to find the engine getting winded. The Vee2's ride and nimbleness on the highway is great. What the bikes lacks right now in the comfort department can be fixed and with that said... I'm keeping my Vee2.

I hope this helps someone like it did me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Real nice write up. Not because it concludes with the Vee2 but coming from someone who actually owned these bikes as opposed to just taking each out for a 10 min ride. The S10 seems to me to be a very good touring bike as you highlight. But the Vee for me has that little extra giddy up. Happy ridding!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am glad to hear that the Honda doesn't have gobs of power like the VFR1200F. I was beginning to question my 2015 DL1000A purchase decision in the engine power department. The torque is great, but I seem to getting bored and not getting my "gofast" part tickled like I have on previous bikes...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Know how you feel. My veek has more vibration over 6000 rpm that it has power. But thats 100 mph in top gear so I can live with it, just

1 - 4 of 4 Posts