StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K6 DL 1000, Scorpion pipes, Power Commander, otherwise stock, 23000 miles, valves set at outer limit at 20000, new plugs and airfilter at 20K, TBS dead on, recent Seafoam treatment, throttle cables set per owner's manual, idle set at 1200, no TB boots unseated, ECU not in the recall number range, starts easy, runs great, smooth and fast.
2 problems
When engine braking approaching a stop, when pulling in the clutch the rpm momentarily drops down to the 900-750 rpm range and occasionally it quits. Starts back up instantly. After the seafoam and a fresh tank of gas it seemd to be cured but did it twice today in about 10 miles, is not ambient air or engine temp related. Why is the rpm decreasing below the idle rpm setting..as I feel this is the reason for the dying. I have read a lot trying to find the reason for this and have seen others complaining of the same thing and they usually get an answer like the TB boots, TBS or PC...none of these is the case with this bike. The one thing I know I haven't done is the TPS sync as I couldn't find full instructions relating to a "EFI test mode selector switch" (what the hell is that?) and also read a number of posts pooh poohing fooling with the thing. I don't know...

the other problem
intermittent dead miss for just a second then it smoothes right up. Like a small slug of water going thru it. Thought the Seafoam had cured this but did it again today.

I did a number of searches and read a lot and no joy. Thanks guys

Joe

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
No Vee bashing!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
DAMMIT! Why didn't I just CONCUR!??!
Hey, you can always try to solve the OP's #2 problem.

Myself, I think he should fix the #1 problem first and see if it makes the #2 problem go away, but I'm not so confident in the answer to go out on a limb and say so.

So if you want to take possible credit for the #2 problem, just write something like, "Do the Throttle Position Sensor and the other problem will probably go away" and I'll delete this post so no one will think that you didn't come up with that yourselves.

Also, the link I posted was for a TPS replacement on a 650, (couldn't find a 1000 tutorial) but might be similar enough to be helpful. As the beneficiary of Greywolf's sage advice I feel the need to pass on what little of his wisdom I've been able to actually absorb. Kenneth, you benefited from his advice for my too, if not for him, you would not have been blessed with my appearance of my majestic presence in SoFlo.

Which I hope to repeat, we'll see.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I might be having the same issue, but I'm not sure. When I slow down and pull the clutch the RPM's drop down to <1k and one time the bike just died on me. This also happens when shifting. so I have to rev the engine with the clutch pulled before I let out again.

I thought this was normal as I took the bike to the dealership and had them inspect it prior to my purchasing the bike and they said that everything was good and the notes indicate a good test ride. Can someone tell me what the RPMs should do?

Would this also indicate why when I let off the gas the bike seems to jerk a bit like I grabbed the brake, then slows and seems to be really sensitive when I get back on the throttle?

Sorry, don't mean to thread hi-jack.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Sounds like you have the same problem.

The revs should always return to normal idle which I believe is above 1,000 RPM.

According to the mechanic at my local dealer, Suzuki now knows about this problem.

It's temperature dependent, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) will fail only after the engine warms up. Using the normal tools and procedures, the dealer is not likely to offer a good diagnosis. That was my situation a year ago. Armed with info from the aforementioned Greywolf, they acquiesced and did the repair two days before a two-week trip on the bike. Which the bike completed flawlessly.

You may check with the Suzuki dealer to see if there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the subject if they are resistant to work with you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like you have the same problem.

The revs should always return to normal idle which I believe is above 1,000 RPM.

According to the mechanic at my local dealer, Suzuki now knows about this problem.

It's temperature dependent, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) will fail only after the engine warms up. Using the normal tools and procedures, the dealer is not likely to offer a good diagnosis. That was my situation a year ago. Armed with info from the aforementioned Greywolf, they acquiesced and did the repair two days before a two-week trip on the bike. Which the bike completed flawlessly.

You may check with the Suzuki dealer to see if there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the subject if they are resistant to work with you.
Would that explain the jerking or sensitivity I feel when I let off or get on the throttle?

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Or the low-tech approach -- it could just be water in the fuel...

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>>>It's temperature dependent, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) will fail only after the engine warms up

Mine isn't temp dependent. It's died at 95F/warmed up and 35F/cold.
Is there a detailed thread on doing the TPS check...I've looked...I don't know how to get in the "dealer mode"

Thanks guys
Joe

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or the low-tech approach -- it could just be water in the fuel...
Right. I put the seafoam in it first thing and filled up...seemed to fix it but now it's doing it again...I'll put some more in it and fill up at a diff station, could have taken on some more water, huh?

thanks
Joe

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
>>>It's temperature dependent, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) will fail only after the engine warms up

Mine isn't temp dependent. It's died at 95F/warmed up and 35F/cold.
Is there a detailed thread on doing the TPS check...I've looked...I don't know how to get in the "dealer mode"

Thanks guys
Joe
I'm talking about the temperature of the Throttle Position Sensor itself. As the engine warms, it heats up the sensor causing the idle problem. Ambient temperature is irrelevant, mine was goofing up at 40 deg. F ambient temperature with the engine at normal operating temp. The 1000's may be a little different.

Try this:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/13035-dl1000-tps-check.html

It's usually better to search this site with Google using "stromtrooper" as part of your search.

You may also want to check over at VSRI.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm talking about the temperature of the Throttle Position Sensor itself. As the engine warms, it heats up the sensor causing the idle problem. Ambient temperature is irrelevant, mine was goofing up at 40 deg. F ambient temperature with the engine at normal operating temp. The 1000's may be a little different.

Try this:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/13035-dl1000-tps-check.html

It's usually better to search this site with Google using "stromtrooper" as part of your search.

You may also want to check over at VSRI.
Hey thanks, that "how to" is just what I was looking for...the jumper wire part. I ran a copy. I'll get on that shortly. Mine died this morning; motor had just been started(cold), 38F...made it to the gate(about a hundred yards), pulled in the clutch to stop and unlock it and he died on me...rpm fell way below idle. Well, whatever...
I'll check the TPS, recheck the throttle body boots, put in some more seafoam and fresh gas; one at a time so maybe I'll know what it was. I just checked the TBS a couple days ago.

Thanks guys
Best
Joe

·
Registered
224 Posts
My '06 Vee has, on a few occasions, stalled as I come to light. This has happened only a few times between about 10,000 miles and the 15,000 mile service. It happened so fast, that I was never been able to understand it. I was pretty sure I didn't stall it since it came as a complete surprise. The bike always fired right up after the stall. I never pursued a fix, since it was just a minor annoyance, and the bike was running fine in every other way.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
My '06 Vee has, on a few occasions, stalled as I come to light.
One thing that may help is setting the idle speed at the higher end of the 1100-1300rpm range. You want to find a high enough speed that prevents stalling yet low enough to not hang at a higher speed before dropping down. If the idle speed dips below your setting in that range before coming back up or stalling, you may need the adjust the TPS position or replace the TPS unit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
yet low enough to not hand at a higher speed before dropping down.
I don't understand this, but I understand the idea of your post. Literally this has only happened 2-3 times in 7,000 miles and not in the 2,000 miles since I did the 15K service and checked the TBS.

I will surely let you know if this becomes a problem in the future. Thanks for responding, and being such a great resource to the rest of us here on Stromtooper.:hurray:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts