StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh.... This stuff is all magic and seems so esoteric to me. When I was on the KLR, there were "Tech Days" posted where KLR riders would meet at somebody's place to do maintenance and mods. The more experienced techies would help us poor saps through the jobs without actually doing it for us. The host usually provided refreshments, lunch, tools ( some would lug heavier tools and bikes in a truck ) and, in general a good time was had by all. I hosted a tech day and the MTSFMCW (Mohawk Trail State Forest Motorcycle Campiing Weekend) camp out series grew from that - about 8 years running now. I even had a few sleepovers! And my back yard is a great place to set up a tent for a night under the stars. I'd be willing to host a Vee/Wee tech day in Feeding Hills, MA if there's any interest in it. Seems there's not as much to do on a stock Vee/Wee as on a KLR, but something even like stock suspension tuning, chain tension adjusting, ect taught by a knowledgeable compatriot would, I'm sure, be a huge help to many of us less talented members of the community. Hey! I'll post this as a separate thread, too! Any interest - post up with the job you want to do - I can already see that I'd need help installing crash bars, skid plate, luggage rack on my "new" '14 V2. Vee/Wee Tech day! WoooHooooo! :)
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Gary,
Fantastic idea. And, I believe there are enough Northeasterners to make it work. I am not a wrench, but learn quickly. I can order the pizza and beer. Count me in!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Gary, Time permitting, I would come up and lend some of my knowledge in exchange for some knowledge from others. I am good at most of the work and can get through the harder items with my manual in hand. Plus it would give me a reason/place to ride.. ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, two takers so far. I think, based on past tech days, eight bikes to work on would fill a day. As I said, camping out back is definitely offered. Had a VStrom camp out there once already. Let's look for a date sometime in September. We'll see how this builds. Tech days are fun and educational. And this truly is a nice place to camp out. Y'all will see......... :)
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The handyman gene isn't to be found in my DNA.... Though I'm interested in learning how to set up the suspension for my weight. And learn anything else people are working on. I know very little...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized now..... obviously we'll have to work this around the Peep Show.
g

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Uh oh, just realized I'll be camping Mohawk Trail on the weekend of Sept 30/Oct 1. Peep show is Sept 21-24. That leaves the weekends of September 2, 9, 16.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, "For sures":
Me
Syd
"Maybes":
Vinny
Pete?

Where do we go from here, understanding it's early. Still, picking a date shores things up a little bit. Doesn't sound like you or I are really adept at the mechanics, Syd. I'm just looking to add on crash bars, skid plate, and luggage rack ( maybe I should have bought the brand new 2014 V2 Adventure they had instead of the naked one! lol ) So, I think my issues can be worked out with just an extra brain and pair of hands ( Syd ). Syd, what was it you wanted to do? Pete, if you're coming, I'd hope somebody who has expertise in suspension would also show up. Vinny, you got suspension expertise? Also, if nobody shows who actually has talent, we can still have a weekend of camping and play. I'm gonna order my stuff soon, anyway. Push come to shove, I'll bring it all to a shop and pay them to put it on. How bout we shoot for the weekend ( includes Friday and Monday for anybody who would rather ride on a weekday), of September 9. That will give two weeks till the Peep Show.
Thoughts? Suggestions? :)
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Gary,
I can help with installation of farkles/accessories. I installed all of them on my 1000. I would love to learn how to adjust my chain, and maybe some simple route planning on my gps. I am good with the 9th of September, and will block it off.

Keep in touch. Thanks for your vision.
Std

BTW,
I will be getting my rear shock replaced within the next two weeks. Just for giggles, I looked at the new vstroms. Actually, I would be good with a new 650, which is crazy after loving my 1000. Like the new design and specs. No swapping till at least this winter. We shall see.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But Syd, you TOLD me that, despite other arguments, bigger IS better!! lol Life is fun! :)
g

·
Registered
603 Posts
Syd saw my fat butt do quite well on the 650 during our excursion to Greylock, maybe he was swayed? However, the DL1K has so many upgraded parts it would really have to make sense to get the 650. For me, I already had the "Lady" so a little 650 "Mistress" seemed appropriate for me.

Anyway, you pick a weekend and I will do my best to be there. I will just be there to assist others in their endeavors as I prefer to wrench my bike in the garage at home. I will also probably ride up and head home same day as tent sleeping is a bit rough on these old bones.

Gary - Suspension is one of the dark arts I have not tried my hand at yet. If someone comes with knowledge I will gladly be the "go-fer" as I learn the trade. If no one is there, I would be happy to bring documentation and we can learn/work on setting the sag, rebound and compression together.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good Vinny. Hope you can make it. :)
Ride safe.
g

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey...you found my skill set....Mission Planning. I'll bring my laptop....Gary! LoL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Pete,
No need to bring the laptop. I have a desktop and two laptops here! Are we making you a "for sure"? Hope so. Plan on spending a night or two. :)
g

·
Registered
85 Posts
Love the idea! Any folks in Ohio/KY/WV/Indiana interested in a similar event? I grew up in CT and was ready to head out if the event was on 16, spend the week with my mom in CT and then do the peep show but then I remembered my son is getting married in Michigan on the 16th! Hope you guys have a great time.

So, any in the Ohio area interested in hosting a similar event?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Pete,
A "definite maybe" is better than "no freakin' way, Jose!" lol I know it's a long ride for you, so let's make a week-end of it. Ginni is welcome, too! :)
Update on my stuff: I've authorized my dealer ( good folks ) to procure or let me procure the crash bars, skid plate, and luggage racks ( all SW Motech ) and they're going to put them on. I can't wait! Am hoping to have it on before MTSFMCW Plan B. After Plan B, I may take a meandering ride through the Adirondacks, and area I've not explored at all before, and end up visiting family in Utica.
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
528 Posts
Gentlemen (term used loosely),

I've done a bunch of stuff on both a 650 and 1000 strom from adding on every conceivable farkle (luggage, skid plate, bars, center stand, heated grips, aux lighting..), to all the typical maintenance stuff (oil change, air filter, valve adjustments, replace brake pads, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, new chain/sprockets, tires, etc.). I pretty much tend to avoid the dealer except when purchasing new. I'll see if I can make it to the next event. But, in the mean time, feel free to reach out if you need assistance with any v-strom tech stuff. Not too far from some of you, being in the burbs south of Boston.

Mike

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the offer of your resources, experience, and expertise. My dealer said she can't procure those items from any of her distributors, so I just ordered up from Revzilla. I'm eager to get this stuff on the bike as I have no hard panniers until I get the racks on. I've a June 21 appointment with the dealer to do the 600 mile warranty work on my "new" 2014 V2 and they'll put the stuff on at that time. My problem is one of past bad experiences. I used to do a lot of my own wrenching on motorcycles and the old VWs when I was young. Now, at 66, I find that I can't scrunch up into spaces to do much of the work. My dexterity isn't what it used to be. And the eyesight DEFINITELY is not. I bought my first bike after a 30 year hiatus in 2008 - KLR650 with the intention of doing most of the wrenching myself. That's when I made the above realizations! lol I'd drop a nut or bolt and BANG it's gone! Just can't find it anywhere, and all the painful work would stop. It was very frustrating for me, and very disappointing. I understand that these projects I've outlined are really relatively simple, but on looking at the installation pdf's and with my painful past experiences, I've decided to just let the young guys at the shop who have the tools and the lift ( and the eyesight and stock of replacement nuts and bolts ) do the work. I'd have attempted this with the support of a "tech day" but I'd like to get it all on sooner before I take off for MTSFMCW PlanB and beyond on July 6 ( going to Stillwater a day early ). You should consider joining us that weekend, Mike!
Ride safe all.
gary
PS: the tech day ( or weekend ) is still on. There's still others with projects and much to be learned about suspension, navigation, maintenance and on and on and on. And there are some nice rides to go on out here in West Massachusetts.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts