StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering trading my 2019 650xt touring for a new Honda nc750 dct...my guys say the vee is by far the better machine and I should keep it....
Anyone out there have experience with both?
I would welcome opinions.

thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
I test rode an nc700 before I bought my wee. Interesting bike, but the motor just didn't do it for me. There's a good Youtube by a guy "complaining" about how boring his NC is. You can tell he really loves the bike, he's just mocking its critics. Just depends what you want. The wee is definitely sportier, probably better off road, although the NC's motor will tractor over just about anything, it gets great gas mileage, and the frunk is pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have no riding experience with one, but always found them to be interesting. I had considered getting one 10 years ago when a left hand injury made it difficult to pull in the clutch lever, I ended up getting an Aprilia Mana 850 which had a CV transmission - an automatic. I believe Honda copied a few things from the Mana such as the "frunk" and the under seat gas tank. The frunk was great on the Mana, I could change gloves or take a drink at a stop light, unfortunately Honda's frunk opens in the opposite direction which would make that trick harder. The gas tank filler is under the passenger seat which sometimes was a PITA. When camping and had stuff strapped on the back seat, I had to unpack to gas up.

I kind of like the idea of how Honda tuned the motor, low down power and a low red line, very real world, many call it boring. On my Wee the vast majority of my riding happens at 6K RPM and lower, so It might be fine for me. I love the gas mileage figures, unfortunately it's countered by a small gas tank so it doesn't yield a big range like the Wee. I have a local Honda/Suzuki dealer and have seen the two bikes side by side many times over the years and my "gut" reaction is that the Honda would be a step backwards. It just looks budget and appliance like, very much a commuter. Again not based on riding, just visually.

For the right rider it probably will work well. I bet it would make a great commuter if gas mileage is important, the frunk would be a welcome feature. I just "feel" the Wee has more positives over the Honda, I'd loose more than I'd gain with the NC750.

Reactions: Macdoc

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Your guys are correct ..that 700/750 motor is horrid. My kid and I test road the NC700s and both of us thought it was the worst test ride we'd had.
And Honda can't do automatics worth a damn.

Reactions: Philbytx and om28

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
They are designed to be and are an amazing commuter bike. They are all about being practical, reliable, cheap, etc. The V-strom is as well to a point, but it has more soul. It depends on what you want I guess! I was debating on buying one to use for work, I travel between job sites and the frunk and fuel mileage would be really nice. Just couldnt justify the cost though, the v-strom is to reliable to worry about how many miles i'm putting on it.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
149 Posts
I like the look of the new one. I have two friends had the older models. I was surprised how small it is compared to pictures. The bike didn't slow my friends down much except its top end. They both said same thing: would always bump into the rev limiter and wasn't as powerful as the flat torque curve would suggest. Would just run out of steam/revs quickly. Otherwise they both enjoyed the practicality and overall performance.

Personally, I feel like I would find the NC750x a great commuter/do-it-all bike. Having said that, I would not trade my VStrom 650 XT for an NC. No way. The VStrom is way more exciting to me as I can ride it like a sport bike when I want to. I do enjoy life from 6k-9k RPM. I think the NC redlines at 7k? The VStrom's handling also feels sporty to me. Finally, it gives me more off road ability...the NC has even more limited suspension travel. Having said that, you can take the NC off road if you want to. I've seen plenty of videos of folks doing it with no problem. I don't think it would hold me back. Nevertheless, my VStrom 650 XT has the rugged looks, higher performance, and more fun to ride factor.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Up to 7500 rpm now from the truly horrid 6200 rpm on the early models on the 7xx.
The CB500x is freewheeling, lighter, cheaper and gets the same or better fuel mileage and sells by the boatload.
The CB500x has 19" front wheel as well which moves it far more firmly in the junior ADV category.
Neither are thrill machines.

Ridden in the higher RPMs the Wee can be a hoot in the twists.

The updated 750x version covered has some nice features tho. The frunk is excellent and personally I'd enjoy the under buddy seat fueling

$6999 retail for the CB500x but usually available for less.

$1500 more for the portly lower revving NC750x.

The electronic features on the NC seem wasted except for the DCT which adds another 30lb. I do like the look tho.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is probably the best commuter bike available. (I had a 700X and shouldn’t have sold it)
It is not an ADV like my 13 Wee.

The positives are;
*Frunk
*DCT (saweet!)
*Fuel economy
*Handling (gas tank under seat)
*Frunk (worth repeating)
*Honda reliability
*Can adjust valves yourself

Cons:
*It is not gonna rip your arms out or win many races (although from stoplight to stoplight you’d be surprised how quick it is)
*Needs an aftermarket seat
*Maybe an aftermarket screen too

inditx

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
A mate asked me to look at the suspension on his, after my first ride my comment to him was you are asking me to polish a turd.

Straight out of the box the front sag was way out of spec.

It took me a few days of playing with spacers, oil height and weight to get things worked out.

He was happy with the results but did not keep the bike long so there was more to it than just the suspenders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts