StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all,

I spend most of me time on my goldwing and I have only put 350 miles on my Vee... I am trying to get an idea of how much vibration I should be feeling on the Vee.

I had to put on some grip puppies as my hands were going numb.. I removed my case guards as it made the vibration even worse... I know it is a big V-Twin so I am just trying to figure out if there is a problem or if I am just spoiled from the wing....

Mark

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
Mark, I find the DL1000 to be rather smooth for a V-Twin of its displacement. So, If you find a vibration problem in yours I would suspect you need to check your throttle body synchronization carefully. While it may not be as smooth as your wing, I find mine at cruise rpm ( 3500-4500 rpm ) transmits very little vibration thru the bars, pegs, or seat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Over how many hours/miles? I just put about 250 miles on my 04 DL1000 today after mounting some new tires and while there is a little vibration in the bike I have never had my hands go numb or even tingly. Longest day in the saddle to date was 850 miles and change in one day, no numb hands.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
You probably are indeed spoiled from the Wing -- every other bike on the planet vibrates more!

The Vee is very smooth for a big twin, and the faster it spins, the smoother it is.

Anyway, I've found that tingly, numb hands have a lot more to do with how much weight you're putting on your hands and how tightly you're gripping the handlebars.

In other words, if you develop a light touch and set up the ergonomics to keep weight off your hands, you can ride a real paint-shaker with no trouble. If you're leaning on the bars and/or using a death grip, you're in trouble no matter what.

1) Drop down a gear -- with stock gearing there's no reason to use 6th until you're going about 80 mph.

2) Relax.

3) Consider changing the bars and/or bar position if needed.

Also, I've had excellent results reducing vibration with Manic Salamander bar end weights. They use a solid, metal-to-metal mounting system that makes them far more effective than any rubber-mounted weight (like Throttlemeisters).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Goldwing to V-Strom check your RPM

Hi again all,

I spend most of me time on my goldwing and I have only put 350 miles on my Vee... I am trying to get an idea of how much vibration I should be feeling on the Vee.

I had to put on some grip puppies as my hands were going numb.. I removed my case guards as it made the vibration even worse... I know it is a big V-Twin so I am just trying to figure out if there is a problem or if I am just spoiled from the wing....

Mark
I too went from Goldwing to V-Strom and experienced the same and came to the conclusion the V-Strom just needs more RPM.
I could ride my Goldwing most everwhere within first 3K RPM but found that -above 4K RPM on the V-Strom is the way to go.
2 very differant engines/bikes.
Or if your bike is used,check your chain/sproket wear.Should be 12.6" center of 21 pins also your rear spocket could be worn egg-shaped(check this by lifting you rear tire off the ground,turning it and you can see the chain height rise and fall above the swingarm).

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
+1 on spoiled by the Wing.

You're not going to find a smoother bike than the Wing.

The Vee does vibrate even at the best of times. Synchronize what you can and use Grip Puppies.

The Vee isn't the precision machine that the Wing is, but it's a fine bike in it's own right.

Ride it and have barrels of fun!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
As mentioned by others there is no comparison between the Wing/ Vee re vibes. You might try swapping rides with other local Strommers if possible to compare (or attend one of the get togethers.) I came off of a Valkyrie (Wing offspring) and it was an adjustment. No regrets. :thumbup:

·
Registered
988 Posts
But compared to most inline 4 cylinder engines, it's pretty smooth. My old Connie made my eyes jiggle like when I played the contrabassoon for the Milwaukee Symphony. Sound sample, if you dare. (No, I don't do that sort of thing anymore.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must say that I'm having the same problem, specifically with my right hand going numb. I've been riding for long enough to know about grip tension etc. I find that 20 minutes is about all my right hand can take before I need to take it off the bar and give it a rest.

I just changed out the stock bars on my '02 last night for a 7/8 Pro Taper that I had lying around, just to see if the Pro Taper's will make a difference. They're aluminum, with a much thicker wall, so unfortunately I won't be able to put my Throttlemeister bar ends in 'em, but if they cure the hand numbing then I'll figure something out for bar ends.

I'll know by the end of the commute today.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
I agree with the posts above describing riding position as more of a cause than vibration for numb hands/wrist area. V Stroms just don't vibrate enough to be the main reason for it. Bar end weights make a noticeable difference, especially at cruise speeds/rpms. Bar height/stretch and seat height all should be looked into for improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts