StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test rode Vee this time with wife on back as I am interested to own one after owning two Wees. Mainly looking for power 2 up in mountains; maybe cross country next year.

The Vees power pushes you back constantly even 2-up. It is odd though, when I looked down at speedo it seemed like it took --almost-- about as long to get to the same speed [75] as my Wee (must be the speedo healer). It just has me baffled how much stronger the acceleration check feeling is on the VEE. My wife mentioned it also so it MUST accelerate a lot stronger. Well if it doesn’t get me past a semi much faster it sure feels more exciting doing it. My comparisons is a 07 Wee 16 tooth front sprocket total stock VS used 2002 Vee with PCIII with staintune and I am guessing at least down to 16/43 (6th about 75 at 5k with healer). This VEE shows no sign of letting up at 80 – WEE obviously does (I don’t go much above that-much). BTW I might be wrong but I sort of feel that shorter gearing is more about 0 to 20 than anything.

That 2-up torque has me wanting a VEE but this 2002 has some issues, especially versus the asking price and some newer just as farkled and a few less miles for less $. I’d be interested on feedback from VEE guys in considering an offer or even about looking for newer model. Some issues I am mulling and not sure of:

[1] Big clutch chudder but I can fix with a few hours work and $300 WERKS – no big deal but I hope it is not masking anything else I cannot feel (the mirrors are lot messier than WEE, maybe not so bad cruising).
[2] Would the better/newer ECM in 04 VEE and later make a difference (hard to tell how well this is running with chudder, my first Vee ride and semi-loud exhaust)? My only reference in ECU comparo is I noticed a little bit of smoother delivery between my 06 and 07 Wees at low speed on steep. It is better to start with later ECU system, then use PCIII only if needed?
[3] The VEE feels so much heavier just to roll around garage. My comapro WEE is lowered ¾” front and rear and VEE has flat bars (VEE has Staintune lighter mufflers). I cannot figure why since so similar in wieght– I don’t feel much difference in handling at speed. – odd
[4] The Cee Baily is a bit tall and I don’t like optical distortion if I have to look directly in front of bike at low speed. I assume even though 02 had limited screen setup options that Mastad would bolt on- correct?
[5] This has reworked suspension (Sasquatch/Race Tech) – can the 03 and later fork caps be fitted to adjust preload on an 02 VEE (is it easy as that?)
[6] Do all the Vee models have the easy options of aftermarket slip on silencers? (My 07 WEE does not)?
[7] Wow – I think the solid bars on this one make it handle quicker.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can give you my feedback with '06 Vee and a '04 Wee

The Vee has more low end grunt than the Wee. The power band is nice on it. The Vee from a stop I find harder to work with vs the Wee. The difference in the clutch pull, cable vs hydraulic is apparent. A G2 throttle tamer helps a lot.

Aftermarket cans are nice for the sound, that is about it. The weight savings is nice around 20lbs or so on the Wee the Vee is even more.

The speed difference is not that great, IMO under 80 mph or so, I assume it would be more apparent 2up

Chudder, never have had an issue. Some appear not to be problematic
The engines have been around a long time, I would not worry about major issues if it has been maintained.

I assume you are referring to swapping the 16 bit ECU with a 32 bit? No real reason if you have a PCIII

The suspension is better than the Wee, but neither is great. I went with Blair's springs and emulators and a better rear shock. Figure $1000 or so to to the mods. Well worth it.

The Vee is more top heavy, I suspect it is due to the engine weight diffrence,
but I notice it as well

Screens I am using a Givi on the Vee and the shorter C.B. on the Wee.Nothing else. I can see over the top on both, zero buffetting.

The Vee I have at 16/43 and it is perfect. Wee I like it stock.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
Also

No Madstad on an '02 unless you want to do some heavy mods to the fairing subframe. Never ridden a Wee, but I gotta think the Vee is a whole bunch faster IF you have it on the power band. Thing is, the Vee is torquey enough that you kinda get to ignoring the revs. I'm guessing if you lined up a Vee and Wee side by side with similar weight riders, and run the bikes to redline, the Vee would bury the Wee. I have a pretty stock '02 Vee (with the secondaries out by PO) and it'll nearly loft the front wheel in first with no assist from me. And yes, at least one-up, it can pass in ridiculously short passing zones, so long as you drop it a gear or two. If you are a quiet air rider, then shield choices are limited, but appear adequate. I only ride mine in warm/hot weather, so the stock shield provides plenty of cooling air and keeps any turbulence below my helmet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
04 and later imprvements

thanks for replies. Sound like 2004 and later better ECU is not a difference with PC III (I am not up on details of PC III and thought there might be reasons to look 04 and later for ECU [other than used value]).

Good to know on the windscreen. I'm already up on the suspension stuff and got educated on chudder fixes; other differences starting 04 seem minor.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
.... I have a pretty stock '02 Vee (with the secondaries out by PO) and it'll nearly loft the front wheel in first with no assist from me.

What the hell is wrong with your Vee?

It should pull inappropriate wheelies in second gear, too... :jawdrop:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clutch Vee Vs Wee

"The difference in the clutch pull, cable vs hydraulic is apparent. A G2 throttle tamer helps a lot."

I am sort of interested in this aspect and actually liked the somwhat lighter pull of the VEE compared to Wee clutch lever. Since I only had limited test ride i was not used to the VEE and did not do the best job of feathering the clutch in slow speed turn around manuvers (just figuring it out and would get used to it I assume). I was not sure above if you felt the VEE or the WEE would need the benefit of the throttle tamer. Only reason I asked is my left wrist suffers from some arthritis pain from prior injury and I had thought the VEE hydrulic would be a plus. Or did you mean that the VEE is twitchier at low speed feathering with the higher torque and helps to have the tamer?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't believe the ecm's are interchangeable with later models. with the staintunes the pcIII would be a better way to go. My vee has about the same suspension mods, should be fine. one question, was the PO using the Vee for 2up? if not you'll have to check with Jay at Sasquatch to check on spring rates. Check which springs are placed in the forks. Contact Rich at SonicSprings for a recommendation. I went with the 43 tooth rear sprocket this helped performance without giving up mpg. The clutch is the Achilles heel of this bike. Once that it dealt with this bike is flat Awesome. You can add the adjusters off the 03'. FWIW I had mine dynoed with a custom map and am happy with the results. But it's not totally necessary unless you just have to know that it's tuned to the max. You should be able to get a pretty good deal on a 02' depending on how well it's farkled. Good luck!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ECM change was not intended

Sorry if original post was unclear I was just looking for advice regarding the advatages of shopping for an 04 and later in terms of newer ECM vs the 02 (would not swap into 02 understood it does not makes sense compared to PCIII).

I am now definitely interested in a VEE should the right one come around. Did not attempt a deal on one I tested This quick education on the clutch issue and other items has me up to speed. Frankly, I think that they are powerful enough without major performance upgrades as it defintiely makes the passender weight feel like non-issue compared to a WEE

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry if original post was unclear I was just looking for advice regarding the advatages of shopping for an 04 and later in terms of newer ECM vs the 02 (would not swap into 02 understood it does not makes sense compared to PCIII).

I am now definitely interested in a VEE should the right one come around. Did not attempt a deal on one I tested This quick education on the clutch issue and other items has me up to speed. Frankly, I think that they are powerful enough without major performance upgrades as it defintiely makes the passender weight feel like non-issue compared to a WEE
The power is awesome and you are right that the bike barely notices the extra weight...from a power standpoint. But I will say this: The bike handles heavy as hell! It is a nice large chassis.

My friend rode my bike for the first time yesterday and was like, "Sure is like riding a horse!" He rides a Gixxer 1K and only ever had crotch-rockets.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Suspension upgrades make an unbelievable difference when carrying a passenger. The Vee is quite agile loaded once it's set up correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts