StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This posting is all because while having lunch on our ride today, I happen to mention I'd had a look at a new bike.
Its not that I intend to sell/trade/bugger off my Vee, its simply that I'm already considering what I'd like to have bike wise in the future :fineprint:

The bike in question I'd had a look at is the new K1600GT Beemer, and all I can say is its one very nice bit of kit, and they sound awesome :jawdrop: I mean FRIGGIN awesome, and thats with the stock pipes, let alone the optional Akroprovics (or however its spelt :mrgreen:)
These things have everything a long distance tourer (tar rider) could want on a bike!
Talking to the dealer, I mentioned I might be interested in the GLT but he advised me to go for the GT as its better for taller riders, has better engine mapping (more go go), and with the top box option is the same price as the GLT which retails 2G's dearer anyhow :confused:

Anyway, has anyone else looked and one and your thoughts?

Mind you, that big tasty Italian bike AKA 32ltr tanked Stelvio is still high on the list...........:fineprint:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Beautiful bike, good reviews. Would be a little leery of 1st year gremlins. :beatnik:

·
Registered
924 Posts
The K1600 GT sure looks the part, but I also would be wary of the "first year syndrome". I'd be waiting for the Mk.2 version.

My son's experience with the first of the KTM Super Dukes has convinced me never to be a pioneer. Let someone else do the long-term ownership proving with a new model.

On the other hand DL you'd have to think there'd be some well cared for 1300s being traded if you're planning the jump. A well sorted one of these would give you the Beemer experience at a fraction of the cost of the 1600 and you'd be in a better position to make an informed decision on the 1600 update in a year or so.

But gee I still can't get my head around high 30s for a bike...

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
On the other hand DL you'd have to think there'd be some well cared for 1300s being traded if you're planning the jump. A well sorted one of these would give you the Beemer experience at a fraction of the cost of the 1600 and you'd be in a better position to make an informed decision on the 1600 update in a year or so.

The best place to buy a used 1300 is a Gold Wing dealer. Plenty get traded on Gold Wings because the owners just aren't happy with them as touring bikes. They do seem to be a bike that you love or hate and if it's hate you get rid of quickly and I suspect cop a big hit in the hip pocket.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I can definitely say, I wouldn't be getting a first year model, as it won't be happening for at least another 18 months, so it should be in its 2nd or 3rd generation by then.

Secondly, I wouldn't get a 1300, simply don't like them, and they are vastly different to the 1600 in everyway shape and form, and I've had my fill of buying secondhand bikes, especially when your paying top dollar for them.

I was very impressed with the build quality on the 1600, the refinements its fitted with, and the way it felt just sitting on it.

Of course there is still the test ride to do, and I'm happy being able to get a good couple of hours on it, to really see how it feels.

If I do go that way and get one, it will be brand spankers, and something I'll hang onto for quite a number of years.

Of course there is still the Stelvio option to look at, and yes I've even looked at a Goldie too.

Which ever way I decide I'll still have my Vee, its staying put in the garage no matter what......:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I know you like Guzzi's and the new 8 valve Norge is getting good reviews

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know you like Guzzi's and the new 8 valve Norge is getting good reviews
I'm actually leaning more and more towards the Guzzi's of late Don, and having just read a report on the Norge, it does looks nice, and is getting some great reviews like you said.
Hmmmm :confused: Norge or Stelvio :confused::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Wanna drag??
Only if we go R E A L L Y S L O WWardy :mrgreen::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Hmmmm Norge or Stelvio
Check the availability or lack thereof of both parts and dealer support. Guzzi's are still built using the traditional Italian "close enough" approach and can vary widely from one to another that is supposed to be the same. If you own a Guzzi you are expected to relish the prospect of searching the Internet to source a minor part or to love being able to adapt a piece from a shopping trolley to act as a valve rocker. Couple that with a zero resale value and you need to make any Guzzi that you buy a life long commitment. Guzzi's are very catholic bikes. There is no divorce allowed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I recently looked at a pristine 2002 Aprilia Falco with a view to having a more sporty 1000 V twin for shorter rides, cross-town runs etc.
The bike had done only 19000 klms and had had the universally criticised rear shock replaced with an Ohlins, but otherwise was in beautifully stock standard trim.
There was never any intention of getting rid of my Strom and after a reasonable test ride I came to the decision that the Aprilia was in some ways too similar to my bike, and in others provided not enough difference to have it under the house with the Strom.
It had similar dimensions, probably slightly less performance, certainly less comfort, and I had the same feelings as outlined by K1W1 above; that it would probably require more of a commitment than I was prepared to make at this time of my life.
That, plus the fact that I've recently spent more than I should have on a new four-wheeled toy, meant that desirable as it was in some ways, it was not for me.
Riding home afterwards I had that familiar sense of frustration combined with a weird sort of contentment. I'd love another bike in addition to the Strom. There must be one out there...surely...but what? The old Strom's such a bloody good bike for the type of riding I do that I have strong doubts I'll ever need another. But I can't help looking.....!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I recently looked at a pristine 2002 Aprilia Falco with a view to having a more sporty 1000 V twin for shorter rides, cross-town runs etc.
The bike had done only 19000 klms and had had the universally criticised rear shock replaced with an Ohlins, but otherwise was in beautifully stock standard trim.
There was never any intention of getting rid of my Strom and after a reasonable test ride I came to the decision that the Aprilia was in some ways too similar to my bike, and in others provided not enough difference to have it under the house with the Strom.
It had similar dimensions, probably slightly less performance, certainly less comfort, and I had the same feelings as outlined by K1W1 above; that it would probably require more of a commitment than I was prepared to make at this time of my life.
That, plus the fact that I've recently spent more than I should have on a new four-wheeled toy, meant that desirable as it was in some ways, it was not for me.
Riding home afterwards I had that familiar sense of frustration combined with a weird sort of contentment. I'd love another bike in addition to the Strom. There must be one out there...surely...but what? The old Strom's such a bloody good bike for the type of riding I do that I have strong doubts I'll ever need another. But I can't help looking.....!
My son had been trying to sell his 2001 APRILIA Futura for 6 months fitted with Stainys, Factory Panniers, TANK BAG/COVER, Wilburs shock, h/d FORK springs, Rekluse clutch cylinder, 50K, New tyres, could not sell it.
Ended up virtually giving it away to a dealer.
A real nice bike to ride, great suspension, comfy seat and pillion BUT no ones has heard of them so no one wants one!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My son had been trying to sell his 2001 APRILIA Futura for 6 months fitted with Stainys, Factory Panniers, TANK BAG/COVER, Wilburs shock, h/d FORK springs, Rekluse clutch cylinder, 50K, New tyres, could not sell it.
Ended up virtually giving it away to a dealer.
A real nice bike to ride, great suspension, comfy seat and pillion BUT no ones has heard of them so no one wants one!!!!
I know a bloke who took a YEAR to sell one!:green_lol:

Cheers, Wanderlost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts