StromTrooper banner

Vee Radiator - Anyone Else Used Myler's?

1372 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  EC90T
This weekend, my Vee's radiator started seeping somewhere around the top left. Hard to tell for sure exactly where.

I've always known there's a bit of damage on the left side where the PO dropped the bike, but thus far it's been OK. Oh well... could have been worse, I guess.

Anyway, the radiator is already on its way to Myler's -- from what I can tell, they're one of the only, if not THE only, place in the country that will repair aluminum motorcycle radiators properly, with metal instead of epoxy. They come very highly recommended from many quarters.

So, has anyone else sent a Vee radiator off to Myler's? How bad was the damage to the radiator and to your wallet?

Tell me good things... I'm Vee-less for at least a week and a half. :bom_bigcry:

I guess the GS and the KLR needed some miles anyway...
See less
This weekend, my Vee's radiator started seeping somewhere around the top left. Hard to tell for sure exactly where.

I've always known there's a bit of damage on the left side where the PO dropped the bike, but thus far it's been OK. Oh well... could have been worse, I guess.

Anyway, the radiator is already on its way to Myler's -- from what I can tell, they're one of the only, if not THE only, place in the country that will repair aluminum...
See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
My '07 had a weep from the upper left corner and it turned out to be a loose clamp.

Did you pressure check the radiator prior to sending it off?

Epoxy fixing a radiator is perfectly fine and works great as long as you aren't trying to fix a big area. I use to do all the quality control at a racing radiator shop in Brownsburg, and that's how we fixed them (there are subtle tricks to making the epoxy flow properly around the damaged tube section). These were going into every type of race car imaginable. I only ever had one come back and I was able to trace it down to a faulty "O" ring seal on the cylinder head of the guys engine (expanded tubes are a dead giveaway for too much pressure in the cooling system).

· Registered
66 Posts
Myler's rocks!

I've used Terry Myler's services on 1/2 dozen dirt bike rads. Your rad is in very capable hands and if your experiences are anything like mine, you'll be very pleased with it upon it's return! Rest easy and ride the KLR!

· Registered
299 Posts
I used Myler's to repair a "banana shaped" radiator on my DRZ400 after it butted heads with a big rock. They do excellent work and everything is Tig welded. I couldn't believe they were able to straighten it back out nearly good as new. The repaired radiator is still on the bike and working perfectly 9 years later.

I would not hesitate to use them again, plus they are super fast and extremely reasonable in price. There is another shop as capable on the east coast, I forget the name though.

· Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '07 had a weep from the upper left corner and it turned out to be a loose clamp.

Did you pressure check the radiator prior to sending it off?
It definitely wasn't coming from the hose fitting -- it was seeping somewhere along the second "channel" from the top, but only when fully heated and pressurized.

I'm sure an epoxy repair would have sufficed, but there was damage from the PO's drop and the exact location of the leak was hard to pinpoint. Seemed a good time to send it to the experts.

· Registered
522 Posts
Just an easy way to check where radiators are leaking. After removal, install the cap and make a plug for each fitting that is retained with a clamp. Install a schrader valve in one of the stoppers and pressurize the radiator to 18psi max. Submerge the radiator in a pan of water that is as hot as you can stand and start checking for bubbles. You'll have to look closely as sometimes the bubbles are very small. The hot water will make the radiator expand a bit and and those hard to detect leaks will be more pronounced. Make a note of where the leak is (grease pencil works well) and repair as needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.