StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, have not posted in a while (winter riding blues). I need a new 4 wheel ride and was considering a pickup so I could haul my bike occasionally.

Looking at various models but particularly like the Ridgeline.

Questions:

1-Do you haul your 1000 bike on a 4 door pick up? If so what one?
2-How do you get it up on the bed
3-Tie downs?

Any information would be great.

Thanks to all who help me out.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Use a trailer. And if not optional, then you can use pick up bed, but may over hang the tailgate. Always use a ramp, there are a number out there that fold into two. ALWAYS use two people, just have to look at YouTube to see how many fails there are. Various tie downs available on the market, or there are wheel chocks available on fleabay that the front wheel rolls into and keeps the bike upright and prevents it from rolling back and forth, but still use tie-downs. I've always used a trailer, and they are cheap enough, only down side is storage, however I have looked into a bike carrier that uses the vehicle hitch and lets the front wheel sit inside a 'box' with only the rear wheel in contact with the ground, but I would only use it sort short distances............

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've carried my Harley around in a Dodge Dakota with no problems other than visibility. I prefered trailering it and I trailered my Strom the day I bought it. If you're gonna do it often/frequently, invest in a good ramp and a few ratchet straps. Four or more would be ideal but I've done it with two (all highway, of course).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dakota Crew?

Thanks, is your Dakota a Crew Caruser4? If so did you have to have to utilize the tail gate up or down?

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
A V-Strom will fit into a 6.5' truck bed if you lift its front wheel onto a auto lift ramp (the kind that you drive the front end of your car onto for a home garage oil change or whatever). Lifting the front end tucks in the rear enough to close the tailgate. I do the same thing with my ATV, but using two ramps.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Brought my Vee back from the shop in a 4 door Toyota pickup. We used 2 ramps, one for the bike and one to walk up beside it. Fired the bike up and walked it up, with a 2nd guy making sure it was straight on the ramp and operating the back brake so the 1st guy can maintain control. Lots of straps ... we had a handlebar strap then 2 down to the front corners, then 2 from the grab bars to the rear corners of the bed. The tailgate was down and the rear wheel was on the tailgate. We used another strap wrapped around the rear wheel and then connected to the corners. The bike didn't move. Of course strap the ramps to the truck so they don't move, and I'd invest in really good firm ramps. One of ours was cheap and it was kinda bouncy. You can also get full size ramps the width of the pickup bed, but storage of them and your bike in the truck at the same time is a little tricky.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm gonna side with the people suggesting a trailer here...

Speaking from experience because getting home and trying to unload a bike like this sucks:

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went with an older Tacoma largely because I could get a lower bed. What helps much is backing the truck so the back wheels are in the raingutter at the bottom of the driveway. This really brings the tailgate height down to a manageable height. You definitely want another set of hands as a spotter when taking it on or off. I would not do it regularly on a bigger truck myself, and would agree that a trailer is much easier to load and unload.

For tie down I use two simple cam straps and they do fine. I sometimes will use four, but if I do I route the backups to the front of the bed too so that it is keeping the bike from rolling out if there is a failure. No point tying to the back as the bike will just roll out if the front straps go. They also sell webbing in a figure eight pattern that you can route around your forks above the fork tree. Your hooks then hook onto the straps without scratching the finish or damaging handlebars. I can't recall what they are called.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow that looks crazy Pele2048

Seeing Pele's bike on the pickup makes me change my mind about the trailer idea. I was dead set against it but seeing that beast up on the truck like that makes me sure I would be posting on youtube.

Thanks for all the advice. Particularly the pic.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Kendon

I have a Kendon which folds up and stores on its end up against the wall in my shop. Once folded upright, it rolls on small casters. It's a 2 bike model, very solid, and pulls like a dream. I use it for my dirt bikes, but I've had two full dress Harley Ultras on it (probably 1800 pounds give or take) and no issues. I've hauled my DL on it a time or two but not much as she ain't no trailer queen! Give Kendon a google and you'll like what you see. New they sell for around $2500 but I picked up mine used for $1000 from Craig's List.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Seeing Pele's bike on the pickup makes me change my mind about the trailer idea. I was dead set against it but seeing that beast up on the truck like that makes me sure I would be posting on youtube.

Thanks for all the advice. Particularly the pic.
Yeah... After dealing with both the bike and a beds full of mulch and compost, I'm starting to doubt my purchase of a pickup. I think a large SUV capable of towing my flatbed trailer would have been a wiser choice.

I'm going to build a dump attachment for my trailer and transplant my Cummins engine into a Ford Excursion for a little more practicality.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used my Ford Ranger to haul my Wee from Green Bay to Peoria when I purchased it. To get it in, I put the truck on one side of a streetside ditch, span the gap with a 2x6 and roll her in. Compress the front shock and tie her down at 4 points. I was able to get the truck in a position - backed into a hill - so WE were able to roll it out fairly easy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another thought

I got to looking at the various ones on the internet. So far, I like the Cycle Tow.com system best for the price. I think I like this better than pulling a trailer too. My first thought was that it would be wearing the tire out but as there is almost no stress on the tire, there should be minimal wear. It's just rolling, not pulling against the wind and weight of the bike. Freewheeling.:thumbup:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have loaded all kinds of cycles in the back of my F150 with 6.5ft bed...the trick is to look around and find a hill or a drive way where you can back up to and decrease the loading angle...makes a huge difference....I usually do not ride it up but walk along side, (on the right side) and slowly drive it up...works for me.....thinking through each step helps....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Using this tri-fold ramp, I've loaded big and small bikes in the back of a Frontier with a standard bed. Ride up the middle with never an issue.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've had my Strom in back of our '01 Tacoma

and our '12 Tundra Crewmax

Loaded & unloaded with ramps and/or ditches except for the 1 time the Strom was in the Tundra when I rode to NH to buy it, the salesman and a couple other guys lifted it into the bed for me.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I found its best to use a HD LONG and WIDE ATV/Snow Machine tri fold ramp, but thats only if you have no trailer option. I've gone through the cheap ramps and ended up with the expensive one.

IMO the V-Strom size bike is a challenge, I hate the unloading part when I'm only have a level area, backing up to a ditch is ideal but, that is hit and miss. A 650 size thumper like my old DR650 is easy. I bought a trailer though, my trucks are currently are tall dually one tons and two were 4x4 over the years, so its a good climb into the bed. I walk the bikes up under power on my long 1000 pound rated ramp thats almost as wide as the tail gate. These taller bikes are actually easier than a cruiser or my past heavy sport touring bikes with limited clearance. I almost dropped a Honda ST1100 years ago in a RV park. I even had a neighbor helping, 700 pounds or so is hard to handle on a steep ramp. I bought a used bike on a whim and didn't have a trailer and forgot also there was no good places to unload either.. Haven't made that mistake since. There is usually a Uhaul rental place around with trailers for such occasions, I found out later that I could have rented a Uhaul motorcycle trailer right next door to the place where I was staying!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts