StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine in my 2007 Vee has a drinking problem.

I last topped off the oil just 1100-ish miles ago.

Just had to add 500 ml to get it back to the "H" mark on the sight glass, when on the centerstand, engine stone cold (sat overnight).

It's not leaking out anywhere.

I replaced the breather filter foam, that's not it either.

No obvious signs of oil burning, but it has to be, right?

What do I do about it?

50930 miles as of today. Using Rotella 5W-40.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,559 Posts
Adding a half liter per 1100 miles is not considered a problem by manufacturers. Most do better of course. I would try a different oil, probably not synthetic and see what that does. Might even run a batch of 5-30 through it and run it easy for a hundred miles or so. Then go to 10-40 of something like Castrol GTX and run it hard to see if it changes oil consumption. It could be valve seals....but it could be the oil rings acting up. Sometimes some thin oil can "clean" those. Loosen them up so they seal properly.
Sometimes.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just saying "Hi" to the mechanic would cost you a hundred bucks. The real work goes up quickly from there.
You could buy a lot of oil for a hundred bucks.

If you're handy you could buy refurbished/newer heads for 200-300 bucks. If the primary problem is the valve seals that would totally fix it for not too much money.
If that's how you end up doing it, you could acquire the heads and watch some videos over the summer. Then when it gets cold out you could swap heads and not miss any riding season.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not going anywhere near a mechanic. For one thing, there's not a shop here I trust.

Might try swapping oils once it gets low again. I've changed out the entire oil volume over the last year of riding, due to the needed top offs. So I haven't bothered doing the usual kind of oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
This is an indicator of a problem. I don't think your oil-change regimen is going to help.

For comparison, in the 214000 kms I owned mine, I never had to top up. Synthetic blend.

In another thread you were considering checking valve clearances. Is this why?

What happens when you open it up and find the clearances are fine? On to new heads?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the two are related, but I'm overdue for a valve clearance check.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swapping cylinder heads isn't going to happen. Way too much $ and effort. If the oil consumption can't be reduced, I'll just have to get a new-to-me bike once it gets truly out of hand.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It may be a long time before the oil consumption gets worse.

I'd like to hear how it turns out either way.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's done. Totaled. Poor Green card. RIP, 2007-2021. :(

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super injured. Planning my next Vstrom purchase though.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. 1050 out of my price range. New ish 1000 with ABS more likely.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I'm not doing a science project. Spent more than enough time working on the Vee.

Don't need more power. The Vee was perfect. Enough for fun, but not such an excess as to be scary.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I'm supposing you'll tell the story when you're ready.

I'm fortunate enough to never have been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, but I've had a few. Most incidents have been off-road and me testing the limits of both rider and bike. But there have been some mundane back-and-forth-to-work incidents as well.

My most recent was locking up the front in the rain when an oncoming left-turner didn't see me coming. I was on the way to work and going too fast for conditions and was running an end-of-life front tire and sticky calipers and on a stretch of pavement rife with tar snakes. Bad luck, but also avoidable. The front tire let go instantly. That was mostly overdue maintenance in the middle of winter. Just a slide down the road on the left knee and pick the bike back up.

Another one was on the way home from work, following a cube van down a wide two lane residential road when the van suddenly pulled to the right to go around a stopped left turner. I tagged the right side of the rear bumper of that left turner with my left side bag. That sent the bike around and me over the top. That hurt the bike more than me. Just some whiplash type muscle soreness. I wasn't paying attention--I was, for a second, looking at something in someone's front yard and not a the traffic ahead of me. It was a comfortable situation, low speed, and entirely unexpected.

Another, I was coming hot into a left canyon corner and overcooked things and ended up in the marbles and high-sided when I regained traction. That one was expensive and I was lucky not to end up 200 feet below in the river. Wasn't commuting and wasn't my bike (RG500). Ugh.

In all occasions, the crash was avoidable. But that's how accidents happen.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I'm not sharing details for reasons that will become clear later.

So far I haven't come up with any way I could have avoided the crash other than "don't be there that day."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts