StromTrooper banner

Vee headshake

1525 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  PTRider
All right, what gives.

My Vee has shaken its head since I got it at 37,000 miles. It has been on Tourance tires the whole time and now sits at 53,000. It does it under decel when the engine is braking. I ignored it because the front wheel had minior cupping and figured with a new front it would go away.

Well, I now have new Tourances again front and rear. The headshake is minimal now but still there.

Before you answer keep my hand on the bars....doahh, I know that already. This is a sign of a chasis issue. I know the head angle is dirt bike steep. Am I gonna have to put a stabilizer on this beast. Already fuxxored with the front fork hieght...some positive effect but not the solution.

Oh yeah, beside NOT leaking any oil, my junk Harley with an engine that tries to jump out of the frame has NO head shake.

SIGH....
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Administrator
15,291 Posts
All right, what gives.

My Vee has shaken its head since I got it at 37,000 miles. It has been on Tourance tires the whole time and now sits at 53,000. It does it under decel when the engine is braking. I ignored it because the front wheel had minior cupping and figured with a new front it would go away.

Well, I now have new Tourances again front and rear. The headshake is minimal now but still there.

Before you answer keep my hand on the bars....doahh, I know that already. This is a sign of a chasis issue. I know the head angle is dirt bike steep. Am I gonna have to put a stabilizer on this beast. Already fuxxored with the front fork hieght...some positive effect but not the solution.

Oh yeah, beside NOT leaking any oil, my junk Harley with an engine that tries to jump out of the frame has NO head shake.

SIGH....
It's been discussed many times before. It has little to do with decelleration (if you lock the throttle at the speed it occurs and maintain your speed it wil do it as well.)

Some bikes do it some don't. narrower profile front tires do it less than flatter profile front tires. Higher loading on the back of the bike increases the effect. My pet theory is that minor mis-alignments between the front and rear wheels, along with possibly loose steering head bearings, combined with flatter profile on the front tires (which gets worse as the tires wear), magnifies the effect.

..Tom

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Tourances and Conti Road and Trail Attacks are often reported to shake. My RAs did and the only time I got a head shake was with them.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"It's been discussed many times before. It has little to do with decelleration (if you lock the throttle at the speed it occurs and maintain your speed it wil do it as well.) "

V-Tom...you have not ridden my bike. I have not discussed it before and the other symptoms from previous posts didn't sound like my issue. But thanks for the standard response of "go look for the answer in the bowels of the old posts".

Constant speed is fine. Throttle chopping will do it once the back toque hits.

· Administrator
15,291 Posts
"It's been discussed many times before. It has little to do with decelleration (if you lock the throttle at the speed it occurs and maintain your speed it wil do it as well.) "

V-Tom...you have not ridden my bike. I have not discussed it before and the other symptoms from previous posts didn't sound like my issue. But thanks for the standard response of "go look for the answer in the bowels of the old posts".

Constant speed is fine. Throttle chopping will do it once the back toque hits.
I'm not a search nazi! You didn't mention doing anything different from all the other threads on the subject so a gentle mention of them was in order. I mentioned what I think are the common factors that contribute. I also initially thought the wobble was only under deceleration but noticed, after getting the throttle lock, that it occurs at steady state riding as well.

You also didn't mention that your toque is hitting! I can see how a toque can cause issues and would suggest getting a smaller toque that doesn't interfere with riding the bike, or at least securing it so that it doesn't hit.

..Tom

· Registered
1,633 Posts
my favorite topic

my EX250 never used to head shake - now it does

I have not given my Wee the cahnce to exhibit head shake

I promise to solve the mystery of head shake when I retire :green_lol:

· Registered
1,596 Posts
For what it's worth I have always felt that the deceleration is a factor. I think it is the deceleration causing your weight to move forward suddenly that instigates the oscillation. There also needs to be something in the geometry and the mechanics that perpetuates the oscillation. I think it's 5-6 small things coming together. You can knock out 1 or 2 and it may stop, or you can add a steering stabilizer to dampen it. Do you have a fork brace on it? Are the front wheel bearings in smooth order at proper torque, with no warp in the front discs?

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Consider either loose or damaged steering stem bearings. If they're damaged, or you want better bearings, All Balls has a roller bearing kit with seals for a good price. Black Lab has a great write up with pics on changing the bearing, and part of that procedure is used to tighten existing bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.