StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been through 2 Anakees and the stock TW. 6000 miles, flat spotted wore out. I am just fine with the mileage and the how the Anakees grip, but is there a less expensive DS tire that I could throw on for sidecar application? Some have suggested Avon sidecar duty front tires but I'm concerned that they are not "sticky" and they are tube type, which means what? I'm not sure other than tube required.

FWIW, I had the "SteerRite" conversion done to the triple trees which effectively reduces trail by around 50%. This helped with tire wear and of course, steering effort.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm running a Kenda Cruz on my Vstrom rig and it wears like iron !!.I have over 15,000 miles on it ( 6,000 miles of sidecar duty) and it still has lots of life left !!.It was a terrible tire for a solo bike BUT as a sidecar front tire it ROCKS !!.I just did a 1,200 mile ride( about 800 miles of dirt) and it worked GREAT !!

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a Shinko 705?
Yea, how about it? Did some reading and I like this, and its affordable.

Thank you for your reply.

Much appreciated.

I'm running a Kenda Cruz on my Vstrom rig and it wears like iron !!.
You know, this might be my next tire after the Shinko. I just really like the looks of the Shinko but the Kenda would probably wear longer.

Thank you for the reply LoneStrom. Hows the CT wearing?

17" conversion, run a rear tire up front
Randy, I bought a rear rim, with brand new Karoo mounted, off ebay last year for $180. I ran it in the snow for a few days last winter until I froze may ass off but it was fun. So I have a donor rim but I have clearance issues already with the subframe on the bike and I couldn't bear to give up that 1" of clearance.

Thanks for the reply RandyO. What did you give for the CT you have on?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
I think Coker has an antique 19 inch replica car tire

Side hacks no lean so car tires are superior front and rear

Though I never understand the motivation

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
richw wrote:

I am an above knee amputee, left leg. My brother Jim bought this vee to ride to Alaska with a bud. At 53 he fell over dead on a jobsite. Those points aside, its a fun rig that many could enjoy. I do.

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Coker has an antique 19 inch replica car tire[/QUOTE
Thanks Rich, I will check that out. I do favor the MC tires because of the stickier rubber. Hard accel. causes a front tire to slide to the right, that and braking issues. :fineprint:

·
Registered
245 Posts
richw wrote:

I am an above knee amputee, left leg. My brother Jim bought this vee to ride to Alaska with a bud. At 53 he fell over dead on a jobsite. Those points aside, its a fun rig that many could enjoy. I do.
Did you modify the shfter or can you use it with your prostethis?
(No offence here, I am truly interested in your ingenuity. Scientific curiosity)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I always thought they were cool and if I can figure out a way to buy the 2012 DL650, I'm seriously thinking about a hack for the '07 DL650A.

Taking the dog and the grandkids is my motivation.

---

Oh, and I have a few thousand miles on a set of Shinkos and I'm liking them.

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you modify the shfter or can you use it with your prostethis?
Cannot shift on left side. I constructed a linkage and ran a 3/8" rod under the bike through a couple heim joints attached to the subframe and have a right footed shifter set-up. I should post some pics for those that may have ended up in my "boat". This set-up has been refined over the last year and performs flawlessly for my application.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cannot shift on left side. I constructed a linkage and ran a 3/8" rod under the bike through a couple heim joints attached to the subframe and have a right footed shifter set-up. I should post some pics for those that may have ended up in my "boat". This set-up has been refined over the last year and performs flawlessly for my application.
Wow, very cool.
Have you considered electronic shifting? I test rode a Can Am Spyder that had a paddle on the left grip. No clutch required, also no down shifting required, although you could if you wish for cornering etc.. I realize this isn't feasible for your application but it's interesting technology if needed.

·
Registered
22,435 Posts
Randy, I bought a rear rim, with brand new Karoo mounted, off ebay last year for $180. I ran it in the snow for a few days last winter until I froze may ass off but it was fun. So I have a donor rim but I have clearance issues already with the subframe on the bike and I couldn't bear to give up that 1" of clearance.

Thanks for the reply RandyO. What did you give for the CT you have on?
I paid $109 at a local mom & pop tire store for the 205/50-17 General Altimax Artic

I wasn't thinking so much of a rear rim conversion, rather a 17" front from maybe a SV1000, and run a 130/80 rear or similar

therea a guy local to me that has an older bandit1100 sidehack, he's got car tires on all 3 (custom) wheels

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I always thought they were cool and if I can figure out a way to buy the 2012 DL650, I'm seriously thinking about a hack for the '07 DL650A.

Taking the dog and the grandkids is my motivation.

---

Oh, and I have a few thousand miles on a set of Shinkos and I'm liking them.
I'm thinking the same thing. Don't know what hack to look at though. They look rather expensive when you add in the subframe, mounting and front wheel work.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have a shinko 705 front in my shed with only 6,000 miles on it that had the tread seperate,no more stinkos for me !!.I'm building a leading link this winter and running a rear Dl wheel on the front.

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Randyo:

paid $109 at a local mom & pop tire store for the 205/50-17 General Altimax Artic

I wasn't thinking so much of a rear rim conversion, rather a 17" front from maybe a SV1000, and run a 130/80 rear or similar

therea a guy local to me that has an older bandit1100 sidehack, he's got car tires on all 3 (custom) wheels
I'm getting the picture. Wider 17" from an SV, run a rear tire.
Maybe gain back some of the 1" of height that I lose. I will check into that.

Thanks Randy

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lonestrom,

I'm building a leading link this winter and running a rear Dl wheel on the front.
Ok, now you're talking. :yesnod:

I will be watching for the build report.

Thanks Lonestrom

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
I've run the Avons SMII on my BMW/Ural rig for a long time. Didn't like the Metzler Block K.
I get about 5000 miles out of a tire. If you could find an old Dunlop 491 you might be set for life.
I've never had a problem with handling. I can over come front grip with hard acceleration while trying to turn but never lost grip once moving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts