StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have a '08 Vee w/ 20K miles. Original chain & sprockets look good and previous owner claims a rigorous chain maintainence schedule. I measured 21pins at various locations and chain measures 12.5" which is nearing Greywolf's previously mentioned threshold for a 'spent' chain. I am scheduled for a Dealer service (valve clearance check) at end of June and may replace chain at that time.

What are my chain options or do I stay w/ OEM specs.? What is the 21 pin measurement of a new chain?

Anything else I should have the dealer check?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A new chain measures 12.5".

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If there are some stiff sections of chain, it's dead. If you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position, the chain is dead. If you see any wear on the sprocket teeth, the sprockets are done for. At 20k, replace them when you renew the chain anyway.

There are various qualities of chain. OEM Suzuki chain is medium quality. OEM Suzuki sprockets are top quality. For a hard rider on a Vee who plans on keeping the bike for the life of this chain, a 530 width chain and sprockets gives longer chain life than stock 525 width chain. (On the Wee a 530 chain is little benefit vs. greater cost & greater weight.)

Your dealer can get higher quality chain than OEM chain. He would have to get after market 530 sprockets (probably Suzuki uses them on some other bike, but we don't have a cross reference). For DIY, Blair at svracingparts.com is a good source for excellent chain & sprockets fairly priced with great advice and service.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
Your dealer can get higher quality chain than OEM chain. He would have to get after market 530 sprockets (probably Suzuki uses them on some other bike, but we don't have a cross reference). For DIY, Blair at svracingparts.com is a good source for excellent chain & sprockets fairly priced with great advice and service.
if ya like the rubber sound dampers on oem front sprocket and want to go 530, use a SV1000/TLR/TLS front sprocket

I use SV1k front, plain DID o-ring chain, nothing fancy and Sunstar steel 42t rear

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts