StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading topics in the vstrom 1000 2017+ section...

What makes a new generation, the colour yellow?
A small aesthetic piece of plastic around the headlight assembly?
Wired wheels?

I mean, sure, at first i believed technological advances, such as the clutch assist, only available on 2017+ models. But then i went in for service and my bike got it too.

:serious:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I thought the '14+ was a V2, the modified beak made it a V3. Then the Euro-4 emissions compliance made it a V3.
So, to simplify things for me, I refer to ALL '14 and later 1000s as V2s.
I'd have to see VIN#s for the different years to see if how Suzuki refers to them.
For example, the '13- '16 Mazda CX-5 Vin# starts as JM1KE***, while the '17 and later Vin# starts out as JM1KF***. '17 and later CX-5 is known as Version 2
My '14 1000 is JS1VU. Those with '15 and later, send your 1st 4 VIN characters in and we'll see what's what.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Personally I think substantial changes are what merit designation as a new generation. There are significant technical differences between the 2014 - 2016 models and the 2017+ models. Though the changed beak is the most noticeable visual difference, along with perhaps the now black rear sub-frame, the biggest real difference is probably the addition of the Bosch IMU that enables the more advanced "lean sensitive" ABS. The 2014-2016 also don't have the "Combined Brake" system that applies some rear brake when the front brake pressure hits a certain threshold.

Whether or not those changes are enough to merit calling one a different generation over the other is debatable I suppose.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Agreed. But I'd still like to see different year VIN numbers to how Suzuki differentiates between the model/changes.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get that the new bike has new (bolt-on) options, but does that make it a new generation bike?

By that reasoning, wouldn't cars be a new generation every year?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts