StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vee 2 maintenance schedule stays the same (edit: for canadian market at least)

I tought it would be better with the "new" engine, but it seems like the maintenance schedule of the new vee is the same as it was before (every 6000km or 4000 miles). EDIT: THIS INFO IS FOR THE CANADIAN MARKET.

·
Administrator
17,525 Posts
Hard to improve on what is already very good. Oil and filter changes, and occasionally checking the valves, pretty darn good IMHO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The cams on the new engine lift out - makes changing valve shims a snap. Thank you, Suzuki. Much less cost to have it done.

·
Registered
719 Posts
After owning my first and last Harley, I will never complain about any maintenance on my suzuki again. You better have deep pockets to properly maintain a Harley. My pockets are not that deep unfortunately.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hard to improve on what is already very good. Oil and filter changes, and occasionally checking the valves, pretty darn good IMHO.
When even the 90's oilhead BM's "managed" 6000 miles / 1 year between oil changes and recently KTM / Triumph, and probably others "manage" to get 10 000 miles between oil changes. So what's Suzuki doing different to the others? Granted the GSSXXRRRRR9999 owner might only do a few thousand miles per year on race tracks and the need to pay the chiropractor bills, but surely an "adventure" bike should be able to get from one side of Europe / USA and back and not need a service in between?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oil changes....

The new oil products are so good, along with manufacturing of the engines...I doubt that changing the oil, every 3000 miles, is necessary. I would think one should be able to go 5000 miles or so between changes.
Obviously, if you are riding "in the dirt" more frequent changes would be prudent.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Stuff that! Fully synthetic and filter change every 6000 miles! Not like it's running at 11000 rpm just to keep speed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Coupl'a thoughts...

...Oil drain intervals are partly dependent on the capacity of the sump. Double the oil capacity for the same engine and you double the time the oil takes to get puked up.

...Japan is a very hierarchical society with great emphasis on seniority. If the old dog chief engineer of Suzuki has always said to change the oil every 5000 km (just over 3000 miles), then that's what they'll do. Ditto for renewing the hoses before we find them deteriorated, etc. Or, there might be perfectly good technical reasons they don't share with us at the risk of exposing less than perfect attributes of the engines.

·
Administrator
17,525 Posts
When even the 90's oilhead BM's "managed" 6000 miles / 1 year between oil changes and recently KTM / Triumph, and probably others "manage" to get 10 000 miles between oil changes. So what's Suzuki doing different to the others? Granted the GSSXXRRRRR9999 owner might only do a few thousand miles per year on race tracks and the need to pay the chiropractor bills, but surely an "adventure" bike should be able to get from one side of Europe / USA and back and not need a service in between?
5K to 6K oil interval is no problem on the Vee, so it is right there with them, plus the filter gets changed every other one anyways per the manual.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talked with Suzuki Canada today. The guy couldn't say why exactly, but the maintenance schedule for the vee2 in Canada is every 6000km/4000miles and NOT every 12000km like in Europe. He said the decision for maintenance schedule is taken by the engineers in Japan. Suzuki dealers in Canada will be happy, more $$$ in maintenance for them. I'm curious to see what will be the maintenance schedule for the US market.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just received a new Suzuki DL-650 manual for my 2012 Adventure, although it does not have a date on the outside of the manual, inside says it is the same for the 2013 and 2014 models. It states every 6000 KM which translates to every 3500 miles. The filter is changed every third time. Filters are too cheap to not change them earlier.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just received a new Suzuki DL-650 manual for my 2012 Adventure, although it does not have a date on the outside of the manual, inside says it is the same for the 2013 and 2014 models. It states every 4000 KM which translates to every 3500 miles. The filter is changed every third time. Filters are too cheap to not change them earlier.
Oil change scheduled every 6000 km here, in Canada. (3750 miles)
By the way, 4000 km = 2500 miles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oil change scheduled every 6000 km here, in Canada. (3750 miles)
By the way, 4000 km = 2500 miles.
I did not do the conversion. In the manual it says every 6000 km then under that in miles it says 3500 mile intervals. My bad if I said 4000 km, should be 6000 km.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts