StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just got back last night from a nice afternoon ride about two hours north of where I live to assist in the purchase of a nice '05 dl650.

My friend, the new owner, is jumping out of his skin with joy over the purchase.

I've been a long time appriciator of the Wee, but have never ridden one. I'll have to wait until next week to get my turn :yesnod:

I have ridden the new Triumph Tiger 800XC. It has been the object of my lust for the past several months now.

For the past year, I've been enjoying a '92 R100GSPD (two wheeled gas tank) I re-built. But I'd like something newer, ABS, lower CG (see comment above), and largely worry free (I guess I just don't trust my own mechanical ability when it comes to internal engine stuff) though I haven't had any major problems with the GS.

So besides saving a boatload of money, why should I buy a Wee over a Tiger?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I just bought a wee from a long-time Triumph guy who just got his Tiger 800. I didn't like the Tiger's looks, but that's personal. He commented about how hard it was to get the Tiger up on its centerstand due to the balance at the required mounting point, but that's minor. Have there been any reports of Tiger reliability, or are they too new? We know that the stroms have excellent reliability.

If money isn't the deciding factor, ride both and see which puts the biggest smile on your face. If possible, ride a strom with suspension upgrades to make the comparison more equal--it'll still cost less than the Tiger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was at a Harley/Triumph dealership yesterday, looking at the Triumph Thruxton with a friend. I've had a Wee for 3 years and 10K miles. My friend took a test ride on the Thruxton and I took a Tiger out for a spin. I must admit the Tiger has me thinking.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Truthfully, I love the Triumph Tiger 1050 and it will probably be next bike when I decide to sell the FJR. I like the Tiger 800. Good Ergs, excellent power, very smooth EFI and wonderful power delivery. The 800 is still however, version 1A, of a new bike. I am by nature cautious when it comes to new motorcycles, cars, software or anything else. I want a track record on the model / version I am looking to buy.

Why buy the Wee over the Tiger 800? Basically a proven track record of reliability, incredible aftermarket product availability and very large, extensive dealer network. To me those are the reasons. You can almost make or modify either the Wee or Vee into anything you want simply because of the tremendous aftermarket product availability. And on the (true) off-chance you have a part failure in Lolo, Montana or Kamloops, British Columbia, there is a dealer near you.

Triumph has truly improved their reliability and a friend of mine who is a certified Triumph as well as Suzuki repairman tells me that Triumph has really improved their products over the last few years and makes a very good motorcycle. Thus after riding my buddies Tiger 1050 quite a bit, I am seriously considering a Tiger 1050 regardless of the small dealer network. Again however the 800 triple is still new and therefore w/o a proven track record of reilability. So I would wait on it.

I am keeping my DL650 regardless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in the same position after a pretty extensive search. I like the Wee and the Tiger800XC. I am partial to Suzuki since both the GS1000 I bought in "78 and 1100 Katana I bought in '88 were great performers which I never had a problem with. The Tiger's maybe a more solid platform, but at an approximately $4K price difference. That leaves room for suspension upgrades for the Wee with plenty of money left over.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
A friend just got a 2005 Wee. He has an older Honda VFR. He also races vintage bikes. He's amazed at how well the bike handles. He, like myself, is very happy with the Wee!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
So besides saving a boatload of money, why should I buy a Wee over a Tiger?
Pat, the Greywolf with an "E." This board and the information here was a key factor in my Veecision. I've never seen another board that even comes close.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Pat, the Greywolf with an "E." This board and the information here was a key factor in my Veecision. I've never seen another board that even comes close.
+3
[because Pat and this forum are both worth more than a +1 :thumbup: ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts