StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip next week to PG. Does anyone have any sugestions for alternative routes, other than hwy 97. I like twisty dirt roads but don't want too many dusty gravel roads. I looked at the Harrison/Lillooet road, but it also sounds dusty . Gang Ranch road ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
99 through Squamish and Whistler is a nice ride but I don't know how dusty it would be or what the status of the road-work is. If you have the time, a neat thing would be to take BC Ferries to Prince Rupert and then go east from there.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Take #99 north and enjoy some of the twisties. Paved all the way with a few rough spots but no biggy. Some construction to slow you down on occasion but then you have time to rubberneck. Take your camera too. Stop in Squamish for a coffee, I will buy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gang Ranch and Horsefly

I know hwy 99. I love the ride, especially when there is sand and rocks on the road. That makes it even more challenging. How is the ride up from Van to Whistler these days ? The sea to sky hwy construction must be making it rather slow ?

I am considering hanging a left at Pavilion and heading towards Gang Ranch and taking the Dog Creek Road to Williams Lake.

Another route would be 100 Mile House through Horseflyand Barkerville to Quesnel.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
I know hwy 99. I love the ride, especially when there is sand and rocks on the road. That makes it even more challenging. How is the ride up from Van to Whistler these days ? The sea to sky hwy construction must be making it rather slow ?

I am considering hanging a left at Pavilion and heading towards Gang Ranch and taking the Dog Creek Road to Williams Lake.

Another route would be 100 Mile House through Horseflyand Barkerville to Quesnel.
The west side of the Fraser from Willy's Puddle to Quesnel is a mostly paved road with nice views and little traffic.
And the road from Lillooet to Pavilion (and out to Cache Creek, if you continue east) is a great windy, scenic ride. The pavement is a bit slumpy/rough in bits, so be prepared.

I don't know about the Horsefly route. It's on my "to do" list.
I do know the road from Barkerville to Quesnel is nothing special.
If you overnight in Barkerville, the hotel there does a hell of a breakfast.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts

Van to Whistler is okay. Been between Van and Pemberton lately and the ride is good.

Guess I gotta show Saturday no matter what. I am hoping to get my long awaited can of Du Pont chain lube.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

another good route is . from lilloet you take the gravel road that follows the fraser river on the west side . you end up at the big bar ferry that crosses the river to a place called jesmond . jesmond is on the road to dog creek [there is nothing there but a few farms] and close to the same place you would end up if you took the pavillion road . the ferry runs on a cable and you phone the operator on a solar powered phone or his dog will bark and alert him when he sees you. then he will come across the river and get you . the ferry closes at 7 pm though . you could make the distance between lilloet and williams lake on one tank . the views of the fraser canyon on this route are awsome

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swann strom, that route sounds like what i'm looking for. Thanks.
A PG fellow on DualsportBC.com said the ride to Barkerville from 150 Mile through Horsefly and Likely is a fantastic route also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoodoos

This is my ride story.

I cut and folded a thick piece of aluminum sheet and had a buddy weld it together for a bash pan on my new motorcycle. Where I was heading I figured I'd probably need it. Next I bent some metal tubes to make crash bars. I machined a fork brace to help prevent high speed wiggles. The handle bars were changed for a more relaxed position. I heated and bent a peice of Lexan into a touring windshield. I filled up the old typwriter case with supplies, after mounting it on the back. I squeezed a couple tents, dehydrated food, and my sleeping into a duffle bag, and straped it to the passenger seat. It doubles as a back rest. The tank bag was filled with some clothes and rain gear and off I rode on my Suzuki V-Strom, DL650.

Highway 99 is a always a blast. It is a windy narrow paved road that follows narrow passes through the mountains from Whistler to the dry interior. At Pavillion I turned off the pavement onto a reasonably smooth, windy dirt road. The scenery was fabulous: high altitude pastures, forests, green valleys, rail fences, little lakes. The road joined the Jesmond Road and became smoother and a bit wider. Motorcycling heaven. Wide open pasture land, sage, dry, rutless smooth dirt and gravel. There were a few corners that were like riding on marbles, though. The next day, after camping in a waterfowl preservation area, I crossed the main highway going north at Williams lake. I took the twisty paved road to Likely and was detered from going to Barkerville because of snow. Instead I took a short cut to Quesnel along a mud hole filled, creek crossing, nearly overgrown, unused logging road. Some miners pointed me in the right direction.

The next day I picked up my son Kyle in Prince George. We camped near PG the first night. Great campsite on a little lake teaming with trout that wouldn't bite. The next day I stayed at PG in a nice budget hotel because of bad thunder storms. Next stop was the Hoodoos, you know, those tall columns of rock left over after erosion ? The scenery changes quite dramaticly between Williams lake and the hoodoos in Farwell Canyon. It's like going from typical forested BC to Arizona. The Chilcotin is part of a dry strip that goes past the Dog Creek area through to Lillooet, Kamloops and further south. I picked up a few cactus buds in my bare feet. It got hot. We also saw some pictographs nearby our camp at the old homestead where a few log homes are still standing.

I dropped Kyle back in PG and continued on into the beatiful Robson Valley to visit my old friends and Kyle's Mom in Dunster.
After a few days of helping out in Nancy's garden, bottling Arlene's wine, shoveling April's sheep shit, visiting, swimming, eating Glenda's great food and tasting Andy's brownies, I was ready to ride and beat the rains that were coming.

I cruised down highway 5 and turned off onto highway 24 and took some lovely , twisty side roads to 100 Mile house. I crossed the main highway and took a short cut on dirt roads and was expecting to come out at the Dog Creek road. I went past the Hanging Tree. The road branched and became smaller, branched and turned into a dry weather road through the dead pine plantantions. All the way from 100 mile there are dead pines. 1000's of square kilometers of dead pines. Pine beatles are not killed because the cold winters are thing of the past. I checked out all the other road branches as the darkness fell. It was raining. It was nearly hell. All the dead trees, the mud, the rain, the thought of picking up a heavy bike out of a mud hole. I decided to ride past the hanging tree and head to a camp site that was close by, somewhere.
I saw the Hanging Tree and took a photo in the dim light. I checked my GPS and soon found the camp . There was a small group of campers who were a welcome sight. The camp is on a little lake surounded by live spruce trees. A live oasis in a mostly dead landscape. I had a comfortable warm and dry sleep while it rained through the night. The morning was damp but not raining. I packed up and went back to the car wash in 100 Mile.

I'd had enough back roads and mud for this trip. I headed back down the main highway and cruised along down the 99, too tired to do any blasting. I got 60 miles per gallon coming down from Whistler. I am lucky I came back yesterday. It's been raining all day here today.

Check out the photos, start at the bottom of the page that opens.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/Ross-Judy/

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
That route from Likely to Quesnel looks like a blast. Was the entire road like that?

Those are some nice shots. Glad you had a safe trip, even if the weather wasn't the best. (On the positive side, the wet keeps the mosquitos down.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The entire ride! However there were lots of large puddles because of the rain and the puddles were lined with gumbo clay. I suggest knobby tires if it has rained in the past month before you try it. There was evidence of quads a few knobby dirt bike tracks but not many 4x4 tire marks. Next time I will take the Beaver instead of Hydrolic. The west side north from Willy's Puddle to Quesnel was easier, very pleasnt ride with only a few knarly hills and rutts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts