StromTrooper banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the feedback from those of you in Western Canada and the US. The trip was amazing. Was supposed to go with a couple of pals one on a Kawy 440 ltd (which much to his dismay I have nick named "The Down Hill Racer") and another buddy who was just buying his first VStrom !1000, but as it turns out the Kawy rider just got called back to work after months of rehab and the proud new Vstrom owner couldn't cover shifts to be free... Oh well! Like any self respecting Vstrom owner I wasn't going to cancel!
So I departed from Tawassen ferry terminal on Friday morning of Easter Weekend to land at Duke point in Nanaimo. Where I then proceeded North to Campbell River where along the way I encountered the only captive Bison herd in the lower portion of North America pretty cool!
Once in Campbell River I headed West on Gold River Hwy which was supposed to be one of the best roads in BC to ride! Well it was pretty dammed good, the road condition was the only thing keeping it from being a 10 had to be a little cautious. I stopped down by one of the lakes where a fire was still smoking from someone I must have just missed, so I stoked it and warmed up and snapped off a few shots. Back on the road to the SMALL town of Gold River where my next road was the Nimpkish logging road for about an hour and half where I would reconnect with Hwy 19 and gas up in Woss. Well the logging road was both challenging and awesome where speed ranged between 20k/hr to 60km/hr as there was small to large loose gravel and pot holes and cliffs and bridges. As it was a holiday there were no logging trucks to deal with :yesnod: which was a bonus while learning to safely navigate the bigstrom on the logging road. It seemed that a somewhat relaxed but firm grip on the bike worked best, accepting that the bike will wander on the gravel and not fighting it and just being very cautious about speed and the big bike seemed to absorb the potholes I couldn't safely avoid. Coming into one gentle corner was the only underwear threatening experience I had where the bike was drifting on the gravel towards the trees but I stayed relaxed and went with the bike until I felt I could regain control and navigate back to safety. Not long after that I came to where the logging was taking place and what a view. The road was pretty clearly marked, I felt triumphant to have completed my first back road but was still relieved to hit the hwy again after wards.
Gassed up and set out to Port Mcneil as it was around 7pm now and after seeing three beautiful white tailed deer on the side of hwy 19 I decided Port Hardy could wait till Saturday. Picked a reasonably priced hotel and had a steak sandwich then a hot bath along with some well deserved beers and crashed for the night.

Sat
Got up and with some advice from hotel staff decided to drive to Port Alice as apparently other riders have raved about that roads twisties. MAN ALIVE that is the best road I have ridden to date. Way more twists and turns ups and downs than Gold River road and it was in much better condition with some lakes and rivers for scenery. Had breakfast in Port Alice and checked out the town. The golf course was interesting...see pics.

Well off for Victoria now back down the East Coast of the Island with a few stops along the way. Once you head south past Nanaimo towards Victoria the landscape changes a bit and man I can see why people choose to live over here. Victoria is a beautiful port city with channels of water running all through it. Stayed in Victoria Sat night took in some local watering holes and had fun. Booking thru travelocity saved a good chunk as well at a nice downtown hotel. A little touring throught Esquimalt the next morning and off to ferry terminal North of Victoria at Swartz bay and home.

The Island has much more to offer than whats described here especially if you don't mind country and logging roads and a gazzillion reserves and parks and ferries you can take to explore the many smaller Islands East of the main Island. Also for long stretches on Hwy 19 the speed limit is 110 kph or you can ride hwy 19A for a good portion of the journey which is usually 70-80 kph but it hugs the coast line.
Anyhow pics are below in approximate order of the trip as written above...hope you all enjoy! I know I did and will certainly be doing the Island two or three more times before the end of the year.

CHECK MY ALBUM TO SEE PICS!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Some familiar looking shots. Looks like the weather was kind to you also!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts