StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace my tires again. The Battle Wings have about 10K on them & they are squared off from too many highway miles. I took a ride in the mountains of MA, & VT this weekend I felt myself in turns falling off that flat edge on the tire that has built up. Not to mention the two plugs I have in the rear tire have to go. Plenty of tread left but it's time.
It's been a few sets of tires since I have replaced the valve stems. I have had valve stems let go in the past. I was thinking of 90 degree valve stems like these below.

TB Discount Motorcycle Tires | Maintenance | Tune-Ups | Acessories | Brake Pads - Ariete Racing Valve Stems

All thoughts are welcome, open forum have at it.
Bill

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have been interested in the 90's myself so watching for info.
The straights can be a Pain in the Ass to check and fill when your in a hurry.
Mike

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
90 degree valve stems break more often than the straight ones; I'd just use a short straight stem.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
I install bike tires for a living and replace stems on every tire change unless they are metal valve stems. The rubber pull-thru valve stems dry rot and crack at the base over time. The duck is correct about 90 degree valve stems being more susceptible to failing. They have much more G-force on them when the wheel is spinning then a straight valve stem. I also replace inner tubes on tube-type tires every time too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My other bike has 90 degree valve stems. They break more often, partly because of the side pressure from checking and filling them. There is a plastic holder attached to the wheel to prevent them tipping too far but they still have a good amount of side to side movement. Also, if you plan to use Dyna beads, you can't get valve stem core filters for the 90 degree ones.

·
Registered
392 Posts
stems

We've got three spoke wheels, it's not like there is alot in the way of an air hose. Why ?

I've had bikes that were a real pain to get to the stems, not on this bike though.

Bill H.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
We've got three spoke wheels, it's not like there is alot in the way of an air hose. Why ?

I've had bikes that were a real pain to get to the stems, not on this bike though.

Bill H.

Agreed. No need for the 90 degree stems, especially with that roomy 19" front wheel.

I install new rubber valve stems with every tire change. (Bikes with metal valve stems get new ones every three years or so.)

TR412 stems are a measly $1.29 each at any Napa auto parts, and the "valve fishing tool" to install them should be nearby for about $6 - $7.

TR413 stems also work fine -- they're simply 1/4" longer -- and are available in any Walmart or auto parts store. The TR412 stems can be a little harder to find.

Reactions: Tony D P

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK that some good input above. I just get the short rubber ones at napa & call it a day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1 on not using the 90 degree valve stems. It's a nice idea, but the centrifugal force loosens them and then they leak. Not fun.

·
Registered
22,342 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
+1 to what randy said: usea tire gage with a 90 degree bend; the digital ones are pretty good.
I also never fill up witht the water they provide at the gas station; I have a slime compressor on my bike and use that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Suzuki stems shorter than an off the shelf valve stem you would find elsewhere?

I always use Suzuki ones when i change them out, never had one fail though.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Bikes with metal valve stems get new ones every three years or so.
Yep. The rubber grommet that seals the metal stem to the rim dries out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TR13's are in the bag. 3 bucks for the pair

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
How necessary is the fishing tool? My Napa doesn't carry it so I'm wondering if I can just lube up the valve and push it into place.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I just screwed on one of these and pulled the stem into place with a pair of vise grips grabbing the tip.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I just screwed on one of these and pulled the stem into place with a pair of vise grips grabbing the tip.
Perfect, I certainly have a lot of those around here after buying all that Ride-On sealant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts