StromTrooper banner

Valve shim source

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Stalky Tracker 
#1 ·
I’m planning to do a valve clearance check soon. I see on the parts fiche that the shims are sold in .05mm increments, but I think I have read of people using .025 increment shims. Where would I find these if they do indeed exist? I’m weary of aftermarket parts - maybe there is another oe using .025mm increments and the same diameter shim as my 06 dl650? Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks. Have you used these pro x shims long term? If I have to buy shims I want oem quality. It appears that Honda gl1800 gold wing uses the same diameter shims (along with dozens of others I’m sure) and offer oem shims in the .025mm increments. I would feel better about the quality control there.

#4 ·
If you are worried about quality control, simply measure each shim with a micrometer. These things really don't wear, so there isn't much "quality" involved beyond correct dimensions. I am pretty sure Honda, or Suzuki, don't make their shims. There is likely one or two companies that make 90%+ of them for everyone.

Many of us have used the Hot Cams branded shims. You can buy the kit, or like many just buy a few sizes of the refill packs. That is all I ever needed. These are readily available, just shop for a good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.