StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much "drag" should there be on the feeler gauge when checking the clearance?

I checked my DL650 a few weeks ago and everything seemed OK so I moved on to my XR 650L which has the screw and locknut adjusters (much easier!).

The spec for that bike is exactly .1 and .12 mm for the intakes and exhausts respectively, there's no range specified like for the Vstroms, so I'm a bit more concerned about getting them exact.

The corresponding feeler gauges slid in fairly snugly so I figured I was good but then I tried a .15 in the exhausts and it went in but with some effort. Are they too loose?

- Martin

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Drag is only for screw and locknut adjusters. Shim adjusters are go/no go. The value of the largest gauge that you can get in is the value to use.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yep!

Listen to the Wolfman, he knows whereof he speaks. Sounds like he's done a valve clearance inspection a time or two. I was told to expect about a pound of drag when checking screw and lock nut adjusters but a lb for me might not feel like an lb for you so it's kind of relative. I guess after 35 years of sliding the old feelers one gets a "feel" for it.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Post wh*re

But you can also check by swiping in a pulling motion If it pinches and won't go in then it won't go in.

Sometimes if you can not push squarely into the gap it does get confusing

I believe that if in doubt go to the looser not the tighter, shim and buckets close over time as the seat is pounded

1 - 4 of 4 Posts