StromTrooper banner

If you have done at least one valve clearance check or had one done, please answer

• I have a 650 and have gone through 3 or more valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 21 3.1%
  • I have a 650 and have gone through 2 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 50 7.5%
  • I have a 650 and have gone through 1 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 248 37.2%
  • I have a 650 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at one check

Votes: 130 19.5%
  • I have a 650 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at more than one check

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • I have a 1000 and have gone through 3 or more valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • I have a 1000 and have gone through 2 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • I have a 1000 and have gone through 1 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 56 8.4%
  • I have a 1000 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at one check

Votes: 132 19.8%
  • I have a 1000 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at more than one check

Votes: 14 2.1%

Valve clearance adjustment poll for those who have done it or had it done

96K views 163 replies 104 participants last post by  Jjonahjamison 
#1 · (Edited)
Please do not take the poll if your bike has never had a valve clearance check. Those who have had more than one bike can vote for each if I set this thing up right. They have to have different answers though. I saw no way to choose the same answer twice unless you have somebody ineligible vote for your second answer.

#82 ·
Im getting ready to do my first valve check on my 08 Wee with ABS

I have 24K miles and think i am overdue. anyone got Advise on getting to the tensioner bolt on an 08 Wee with ABS. or any other tips.

thanks and Ill add to the poll when i am done.

Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well..:yesnod:

#83 · (Edited)
Performed Valve Job w/many pictures for 650(warning 56k)

Mrfixit check out the link. There is a valuable tip about getting the cam out without removing or loosening the cam chain tensioner at all.Only thing is you need another pair of hands. I just did mine this way a couple weeks ago and it worked fine for me.Although I found it easier to push the pawl back by pushing the chain,guide and pawl at the same time with a large screwdriver behind the chain while holding down on the cam lock with the other screwdriver.
Do one cam at a time and zip tie the chain to the other cam.Just be carefull when you cut the zip tie so none of it falls into the engine.damhint.:headbang:

I also marked the alignment of the chain and cam gear with a felt marker which made it easier to to line things back up when I put the cam back on.

#84 ·
thanks for the tip and just in time - i just finished removing all the cowling and was coming in to ask if anyone had done the valve inspection with the crashbars still on. it looks like i will have to remove them also.

but i really appericate the chain release tip - will save me LOTS of :headbang:

#85 ·
all valves were in the middle - Thank you for all your advise

has anyone had a problem with leaks on the valve covers - i reused the old gaskets and torqued them to 10.5 Flbs, even though the book calls for 10

i thought since they were used that should be fine, although it seems a little loose

any thoughts anyone:thumbup:

#86 ·
The bolts are shouldered. Tightening them more won't help the seal and people have stripped the tapped holes before. I'd recommend 7lb-ft instead of 10. It's usually a damaged gasket, old sealer present or a failure to use a non hardening sealer on the semicircular sections, especially where they meet the straight sections, that causes leaks.

#87 ·
Grey wolf

thank you for the fast response - i will do as you say - you have done more inspections then I and have way more history with these bikes than me.

I was very happy that all valves were either right at mid range or very close.

Thanks again for looking out for us Newbies :thumbup:

#88 ·
Just finished the third valve clearance check on my 2004 DL650 now with about 48k mi. Rear cylinder was perfect, and the front only had one of the intakes out of spec. Interestingly, the one that needed a change had a different shim than the other intake and when I matched it to the other it was right in spec. I am suspicious that whoever did it before put the wrong one in it...

Other than that the cams and everything looked great and I am looking forward to another 48k out of her!:thumbup:

#91 ·
K3 1000 at approx 20,000 km. Front exhaust in middle of spec (both 0.25mm), 1 valve on each of the other 3 cams were tight (Intakes 0.07 & 0.08mm, exhaust 0.18mm), and the other 3 valves on those cams very close to the bottom end of the range. Replaced 6 shims on 3 cams to put all valves around the middle of the range.

Should be good for another 8 years or so....:thumbup:

Geoff

#92 ·
Valve Check

I just did the valve check today. I entered the poll, also.

Here are my results:

Front Cylinder - left intake .13mm yes / .18mm no
right intake .10mm yes / .13mm no

left exhaust .23mm yes / .25mm no
right exhaust .20mm yes / .23mm no

Rear Cylinder - left intake .15mm yes / .18mm no
right intake .13mm yes / .15mm no

left exhaust .23mm yes / .25mm no
right exhaust .20mm yes / .23mm no

The right side is the side towards the timing chain. Every valve on the right side is tighter than the one to its left. This is as deep as I want to go into my engine. I think I am just going to put it back together and recheck it in another 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

My bike has about 19,500 miles on the odometer and this was my first valve check. My bike is a 2007 DL650 ABS (E-33).

#93 ·
Just did my 3rd valve check at about 46K miles. All except the rear cylinder intake were still in specs. The out of spec ones were just outside of specs on the loose side. It's been 30K miles since they were last adjusted.

#95 ·
I just checked my valves for the first time with 24500 miles. They were all within-spec. Intake in the middle. Exhaust were on the tight side of spec. I left them alone and will check them again in 10-15k miles.

Im taking the poll and marking 1st check no adjustment needed even though my mileage is closer to 2nd check and no adjustment?

Its a 09 DL1000

#97 ·
08 DL1000 16,229 miles, 1st valve clearance check, did it my self.
All measurements are the "go" feeler guage.
Front cyl. intake-.006 & .004/ exhaust .010 & .010
Rear cyl. intake-.005 & .007/ exhaust .011 & .011

All are within range, little concerned about the .004 on the one intake, see what it says next time.

The fact that the intakes are not equal, is that an issue? I assume the one intake would open slightly sooner than his buddy next to him? Bike runs fine though, except for the occasional stumble at low rpm because of being lean, I can live with that.

#101 ·
The poll assumes valve clearance checks at the manufacturer's recommended interval of 14,500 miles between checks.

#102 ·
Cbrxxcess and I just did my adjustment on my 2006 Vee and 6 of the 8 valves were out of spec (tight) and one cam was 1 tooth off presumably from the factory. The bike has 14990 miles on it.

#103 ·
Results

I just checked my 650 at 13500 as I am going on a summer trip which will take up 8500 miles and don't want to stop for that. Also prematurely replaced tires, chain, and spark plugs for same reason.

The results in inches were
FLE .011 FRE .010
FLI .0045 FRI .005

RLI .0045 RRI .0045
RLE .010 RRE .009

The front intakes were close I have seen that they move little and the range is there for a reason with allowance for wear to next adjustment- so I have chosen to leave them alone for now. If the exhausts were closer then I probably would have done several of them.

#105 ·
valve check

just had the valves checked on the new to me 2005 650. 27,000kms 1st check done on bike all valve,s were still in upper end of specs. Dealer here in kamloops did the valves and thottlebody sync for $275.00 :hurray:(great day)

#119 ·
valves

just had the valves checked on the new to me 2005 650. 27,000kms 1st check done on bike all valve,s were still in upper end of specs. Dealer here in kamloops did the valves and thottlebody sync for $275.00 :hurray:(great day)
Have done another valve check 48,000kms still in spec:yesnod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.