StromTrooper banner

If you have done at least one valve clearance check or had one done, please answer

• I have a 650 and have gone through 3 or more valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 21 3.2%
  • I have a 650 and have gone through 2 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 49 7.5%
  • I have a 650 and have gone through 1 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 243 37.0%
  • I have a 650 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at one check

Votes: 128 19.5%
  • I have a 650 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at more than one check

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • I have a 1000 and have gone through 3 or more valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • I have a 1000 and have gone through 2 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

• I have a 1000 and have gone through 1 valve clearance checks with no adjustments required

Votes: 56 8.5%
  • I have a 1000 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at one check

Votes: 131 20.0%
  • I have a 1000 and have needed a valve clearance adjustment at more than one check

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I just checked mine for the fourth time at 48,000 miles and nothing moved. In those four checks, the only change was an exhaust valve that closed by .001" on the third check. I'm getting real tired of doing checks so I did what I should have done the first time and got all the clearances between midpoint and maximum. As long as the engine runs okay, I'm never taking the valve covers off again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
valves at 63,000 miles = ok

I just checked mine for the fourth time at 48,000 miles and nothing moved. In those four checks, the only change was an exhaust valve that closed by .001" on the third check. I'm getting real tired of doing checks so I did what I should have done the first time and got all the clearances between midpoint and maximum. As long as the engine runs okay, I'm never taking the valve covers off again.
OK Buddy, meant to give you the final update but basically they are in spec for me and i dont plan on checking anything now until she rolls over 100,000 which could be the end of this year...what a bike !
Umpteeeeeenth rear tire going on in a couple weeks...metzler torrence by the way...outstanding tire and i will never switch....but bascially the entire bike is just stone AX reliable and ther=e are 9 guys locally that have either a wee or the biig brother and we all have the same good things to say about them...EVEN the beemer/GS guy who thought his was the best...until he rode a strom....now he owns one.
D'dog

·
Registered
213 Posts
38,000 km all valves out of spec

I know this check was long over due but I was supprised to see all 8 valves way out of spec. All were tight with the intakes at around .07 to .09 and the exhausts were around 0.13 to 0.15.

This is the first time I've done valves and what a PITA.
Strip the bike apart, pull the cams, find the current size shims, order new shims from dealer, wait a week for them to show up, put it all back.

What I first noticed when I started it back up was the tapping sound was back:thumbup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
From the picture you appear to be riding a '06 Vee. No surprise to find all of them tight. I found 7 of 8 tight on my '06.
It is an '06. I'll have to make sure I check them more often.
I wonder how they are set up new out of the factory.
You would hope they would set them up on the loose side but with mass production they probably just get them anywhere in spec and move on to the next one..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tapping sound? Gray Wolf, have you heard this ?

what do you mean by "tapping sound". I think this is a wee strom and would think the engine noises would be the same? anybody idea what these noises could mean? is there any cam chain noises that could do this and can the tensioner wear to point if making this noise?

I know this check was long over due but I was supprised to see all 8 valves way out of spec. All were tight with the intakes at around .07 to .09 and the exhausts were around 0.13 to 0.15.

This is the first time I've done valves and what a PITA.
Strip the bike apart, pull the cams, find the current size shims, order new shims from dealer, wait a week for them to show up, put it all back.

What I first noticed when I started it back up was the tapping sound was back:thumbup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
were these measurements in MM or inches....? and were they intakes or exhausts?

what do you mean by "tapping sound". I think this is a wee strom and would think the engine noises would be the same? anybody idea what these noises could mean? is there any cam chain noises that could do this and can the tensioner wear to point if making this noise?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's all good just the valves making the tapping sound.

·
Registered
213 Posts
were these measurements in MM or inches....? and were they intakes or exhausts?

Measurements in MM.
Intakes before 0.07 mm to 0.09 mm, After around 0.15+
Exhaust before 0.13 mm to 0.15 mm, After around 0.25+

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think the intake are supposed to be .004 to.008 and exhaust 008 to 0012 so technically if you are inside those measurements you are good. i had one intake that was.0035 and i am callling that good most people might not but i have been around these engines for so long feel ok that one measurement.
tappet noise i cant hear when they are this close...you must have really good EARS !

Dave what do you know about the cam chain tensioner....does the rubbing block ever wear?

It's all good just the valves making the tapping sound.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think the intake are supposed to be .004 to.008 and exhaust 008 to 0012 so technically if you are inside those measurements you are good. i had one intake that was.0035 and i am callling that good most people might not but i have been around these engines for so long feel ok that one measurement.
tappet noise i cant hear when they are this close...you must have really good EARS !

Dave what do you know about the cam chain tensioner....does the rubbing block ever wear?
Never checked the chain tension. I'll have to remember to do that for next time.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since it seems that the exhaust is the one that gets tight over time, would rough running and backfiring on decel be symptoms? Just wondered, since my
'08 only has 7500 miles on it, and runs perfectly :thumbup:

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Since it seems that the exhaust is the one that gets tight over time, would rough running and backfiring on decel be symptoms? Just wondered, since my
'08 only has 7500 miles on it, and runs perfectly :thumbup:
If you have a DL1000, that's because of being on the bleeding edge of leanness. Every adjustment has to be right on and that is sometimes not enough.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear. Mine (dl650)doesn't have any symptoms or running problems, I just wondered what the indicators of valve adjustment being needed were.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If symptoms appear, it's often too late. Valves tend to close up and exhaust valves clearances close faster. A bike will run better when cold and the valves are shortest. A hot valve will "grow" and too little clearance will keep it from seating. The engine will run poorly and be hard to start when warm for lack of compression. It may produce afterfire in the exhaust as the mixture might not fire every time and, when it does, it will also light unburned fuel in the exhaust. It doesn't take long with a valve not seating for the combustion products getting by it to burn the valve and valve seat. An intake that doesn't seat will cause a backfire through the throttle body.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
That's more indicative of a rich mixture or more short trips than long runs. A decrease in performance as the engine warms up is the big key. You say yours runs perfectly. Just check the clearances at 14,500 miles.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Good so far

Two checks, first at 14,500, second at 30K and change. All valves in middle of adjustment range on '07 650. TB sync was a half a tad off on the ole merc gauge and brought into sync with about a 16th of a turn. Secondary butterflies within .20mm of even.

41 - 60 of 163 Posts