StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some places on the forum where people wait many more miles than 14.5K miles to do a valve adjustment. What do most people end up doing?

My thinking is because I plan on just running this bike into the ground until it just won't run any more... I might as well check the clearances as I have also read that not doing the valve adjustments regularly could lead to needing to do a valve replacement (that sounds expensive!).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I used to do them that often and most were close to minimum. After seeing only one close up to the next smaller gauge after 3 checks, I changed most of the shims to get all the measurements between the middle and the high end of the spec and quit checking.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
This is what I fear the most about this bike. I want to do my own maintenance, but I've heard the valve check/adjustments are a real bear! I would love to only check them every 25 or 30k miles like my last bike-an FJR.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
:yikes::yikes::yikes:
51,000km and mine haven't even been checked yet.

The bike just seems to keep getting faster and smoother, I mentioned recently in a reply to a post that it seemed to have "kicked up another notch" when it passed the 50,000km mark. :jawdrop:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Never

48,000 and never checked them on my 08 Wee. I probably should do it, but just never do because she runs and sounds great.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I plan on getting mine checked at 24,000km (as stipulated in the manual) and then never again. :thumbup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have an '09 Wee with 22K miles on it. I checked my valves last winter at 13K miles. All readings were within spec -- all were in the lower half of the tolerance range. I just finished checking them this winter at 22K. All readings were exactly the same as they were last year.

I don't think I have to check them again for as long as I own this bike. I expect to sell it this coming year as I move over to a Guzzi Stelvio.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Read here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/27756-dl650-valve-adjustment-notes-tips.html

And here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...alve-adjustment-thanks-whistler-greywolf.html

(Note: You will need a genuine Suzuki Service Manual, some tools, and the second thread listed above to do the required work.)

Arooni, are you really an Eagle Scout?
Thanks the helpful resources. Yes to answer your question, I really am an Eagle Scout.... Being Trustworthy is the first point of the Scout Law. My expertise has always been in the computer field.

I just lack a lot of mechanical knowledge as I was never taught this stuff; and really never had a desire to learn until I decided to ride my bike to South America. Then mechanical knowledge becomes a necessity. And you know what, I'm really enjoying learning how to fix/debug my bike. If you told me I'd be doing my own oil changes, changing & cleaning air filters, changing brakes, changing fork seals and springs, installing crash guards and skid plates a year ago, .. I wouldn't have believed you :)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I really am an Eagle Scout.... Being Trustworthy is the first point of the Scout Law.
Nope, it isn't. "Be Prepared" is at the core of being a Scout.

Your posts lead me to believe that you left on this trip as NOT being a "true" Scout!

But, I DO give you credit for admitting that below. Maybe you are trustworthy, if not prepared for your adventure.

I just lack a lot of mechanical knowledge as I was never taught this stuff; and really never had a desire to learn until I decided to ride my bike to South America. Then mechanical knowledge becomes a necessity. And you know what, I'm really enjoying learning how to fix/debug my bike. If you told me I'd be doing my own oil changes, changing & cleaning air filters, changing breaks, changing fork seals and springs, installing crash guards and skid plates a year ago, .. I wouldn't have believed you :)
It is good that you are getting your hands dirty, and are exercising your mind on other, new things. Soon, you will become an expert and will be able to pass along your lessons learned to help others.

How about some more photos, please? It is cold way up here in Maine...... Maybe some hawt photographs to warm us New Englanders up?

B.L.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Boy Scout Law

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Boy Scout Motto

Be Prepared!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Boy Scout Law

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Boy Scout Motto

Be Prepared!
Thank you for the correction.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your posts lead me to believe that you left on this trip as NOT being a "true" Scout!

How about some more photos, please? It is cold way up here in Maine...... Maybe some hawt photographs to warm us New Englanders up?

B.L.
I certainly prepared as much as I possibly could for the trip. Including a Adventure Motorcycle Camp, a day long class on motorcycle maintenance... as well as countless research. At the end of the day, you can only prepare so much. I'm learning more each day.

In terms of hawt photos; this'll have to do until I get my blog/website up and running. This is Kat; and she's a lovely German girl I met in Puerto Escondido, and we rendezvoused again in Merida (both spots in Mexico). I have found girls love to sit on the back of the motorcycle. Maybe I should ditch my camping gear .... ? :)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
In terms of hawt photos; this'll have to do until I get my blog/website up and running. This is Kat; and she's a lovely German girl I met in Puerto Escondido, and we rendezvoused again in Merida (both spots in Mexico). I have found girls love to sit on the back of the motorcycle. Maybe I should ditch my camping gear .... ? :)

HA!!! Good man! You have all that you need, my friend! The best motorcycle in the world, and a beautiful gal to share it with!

Ride Safe, and keep us posted with your travels!

B.L.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Now I understand why you're taking your time in Mexico.

I thought it might be the senoritas--never occurred to me it would be the frauleins!

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
If your usually bouncing off the rev limiter then 14.5 may be too long.

If you short shift at 5K then maybe a LONG time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts