Strom Trooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first one. Just wondering for those who have done their own, did you reuse the gaskets? Apply any sealer? Manual says to use a sealer of some sort. I am tempted to just reassemble and hope for no leaks but thought I would check for the general consensus. 2014. Only about 30000 kms.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Mechanic that did my valves just used a little silicone sealant mostly where the cam ends are.
He made it look easy and no leaks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The gaskets can be reused in almost every case unless they are damaged, which would take some effort. The semicircular parts, especially where the curve meets the straight, are the only places sealer is needed.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. Figured as much. Long gone are the replacement every time gaskets. Unless it's some exotic foreign model, of course.
Hard miles; did you find any shim replacement necessary?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My oldest 2014 Vee2 reached the first valve check mileage so I talked with the dealer about getting it done (I'm too old and broken to do it myself anymore). The service manager told me I could have it done for peace of mind but he'd never seen one out of spec, yet. Seems odd to me that they don't run into a few out of spec now and then. However, my last Goldwing 1800 went 103,000 miles and never needed adjustment. I know as I checked it myself. I'm curious to know if anyone is finding their Vee2's valves out of spec.

·
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
ToadRide, what were your clearances like? Mine were done at 24 000km and were on the tight end of the allowances right across the board. Mechanic set them all to middle clearance values and noted it down for next time. His opinion was that they were probably set on the tight side from the factory. Would be interesting to hear from others what the clearances were at the first major service interval.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hard miles; did you find any shim replacement necessary?
I replaced them all. If I remember right 3 were getting tight and the rest were in the middle. I didn't want to do the job in another 25,000 km so I put everything at the max gap. I will check them again at 100,000 km but from what I have read on this forum and other vstrom forums I should still be OK.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Put a smallest possible smear of RTV silicone sealant on the half-moon parts of the valve cover gasket. You do not want clumps of RTV in the oil system and clog the oil pump pick up screen.

Double check that the gasket is correctly in its groove before you put things back together. Do put the tank up on its strut and test run the engine...check for anything not connected and for oil leaks...before you put the plastic back on.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hooookay. Got the specs. Turns out I got 42000 on it. Fukkin old mind is slippin. Gonna need some shims, tho.
Front Cyl got .15+ on both Ex. Get to leave them alone. .10 and .10+ and .10 on the In so I'll be doin em. Rear has .20 and .15+ on both EX. They are good. Ins are .10- and .10+ so they are gettin done. Replaced the plugs only cause I bought new over a year ago. But really didn't have to.
Now to arrange shim pickup in Kelowna. Lucky I'm going camping on the coast next week so I can hit em up on the way back.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I bought my 2005 V-Strom 18 months ago and have 36000, miles on it. Sounds like I should add a check of the valve clearances to that maintenance list. It gets longer every time i log in.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I hear of bikes upward of 100000 kms that haven't had valve adjustments I am a bit skeptical. I mean, there's gotta be wear. And, doing my own maintenance means that I double and triple check my settings. Hell, this one I'm doing is literally taking me days. A bit at a time. When your bike goes to the shop it's the old in and out. Mistakes can be easily made.
The wear I found is just what I expected. Next check will be 100000 if I live that long. lol.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hope I get a quick response here. The parts guy said I needed to tell him the bucket size in the bike before we could figure the best replacements. My shop manual shows 275s so I am assuming that's what they all leave the factory with. I popped the front journal and sure enough, 275s on both. Haven't touched the rear and would leave it if I was sure. I know, ten minutes work but I am curious if they ever leave the factory with a slightly different size. Guess it's academic cause I'm going to go check anyhoo.
Edit: Now that I consult the book again I see it shows it a s 290 (probably just an example for a replacement. Going to tighten the front a bit and spin the crank to get at the rear.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Hope I get a quick response here. The parts guy said I needed to tell him the bucket size in the bike before we could figure the best replacements. My shop manual shows 275s so I am assuming that's what they all leave the factory with. I popped the front journal and sure enough, 275s on both. Haven't touched the rear and would leave it if I was sure. I know, ten minutes work but I am curious if they ever leave the factory with a slightly different size. Guess it's academic cause I'm going to go check anyhoo.
By bucket size, I don't know if you mean shim diameter or thickness. As for thickness, I'm virtually certain the factory installs several different ones. As for diameter, I think they're 7.48mm.

Regarding thickness, did you mean to say 175 - not 275 ?

·
38,049 Posts
Any thickness may be in there as appropriate to do the job. 650s are usually in the 1.50-1.75mm range but can be outside of that range. I've had a 1.80 and a 1.82mm shim from the factory. Factory shims may end in an unusual number. I've seen them end in 2 and 7. Replacement shims always end in 5 or 0. All 650 shim diameters are 7.48mm and all 1000 shim diameters are 9.48mm.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rear has the same numbers. 275. Manual says 275 is 2.75 mm. Total of 25 sizes ranging from 2.30 to3.50 mm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts