StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being unable to find a shop I can trust, especially for items you can't see once the bike is back together, I decided to do the air filter/spark plug replacement and valve check myself...just bought the service manual..anyway couple of questions....06 Wee 16,500 miles...

1.For air filter, silicon grease recommended for engine side of gasket to help seal the gasket? Not mentioned in the manual

2. Are all factory shims .165 to start?

3. My previous bike, honda shadow, they recommended anti-seize when replacing spark plugs. no mention with Wee, any suggestions on that?

4. Any other tips or tricks to make it easier? Essential tools needed

5. If I get through the check and there is an adjustment needed, might as well right....

6. What's moly paste, super grease, super bond ?what are alternatives?
thread lock, they list 4 different numbers, whats its all mean?

Just preparing, any help or advice appreciated, looking forward to getting intimate with my Wee, in the biblical sense

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
After being unable to find a shop I can trust, especially for items you can't see once the bike is back together, I decided to do the air filter/spark plug replacement and valve check myself...just bought the service manual..anyway couple of questions....06 Wee 16,500 miles...

1.For air filter, silicon grease recommended for engine side of gasket to help seal the gasket? Not mentioned in the manual
I have never heard of using silicon grease for an street bike air filter... That's what I thought the rubber gasket on the air filter itself was for...

Richard

·
Registered
241 Posts

I've used grease on foam filters before
2. Are all factory shims .165 to start?
No they are not, no way to know what shims you will need beforehand
3. My previous bike, honda shadow, they recommended anti-seize when replacing spark plugs. no mention with Wee, any suggestions on that?
Doubt it would hurt but also not something I typically do
4. Any other tips or tricks to make it easier? Essential tools needed

5. If I get through the check and there is an adjustment needed, might as well right....
No point in opening it up if you're not going to do an adjustment
6. What's moly paste, super grease, super bond ?what are alternatives?
thread lock, they list 4 different numbers, whats its all mean?
Moly is used on the cam journals
Super grease is.....grease
super bond is used on gaskets
thread locker.....loctite comes in various strengths

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Moly paste is assembly lube. It's a heavy oil containing Molybdenum Disulphide. At a valve clearance adjustment, engine oil is really all you need. A/L is required for a rebuild or a new engine. Use a non hardening gasket compound like RTV sparingly on the half moon sections of the gaskets especially where they meet the straight sections. The rest of the gasket is not treated with anything. The pressure on the thin straight parts is all that is needed. Use medium strength thread locker like blue Loctite where recommended. Keep thread locker away from plastic parts. The numbers are Suzuki part numbers. There is no need to use a specific brand.

Some people like silicone grease on the bottom of the air filter gasket to assure the seal. Most people leave it dry.

Most spark plugs now, including all NGKs are coated for use in aluminum engines. Anti seize requires a decrease in torque over a dry spec because of the lubrication effect. NGK says don't use it. http://www.ngkplugpro.ca/content/contentfiles/pdf/NGKSP-0907-1R-Anti-SeizeonSparkPlugs.pdf

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, between this forum and the brand new manual, I am ready to do this.
What could possibly go wrong?

·
38,103 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Willy,
The air filters for the older bikes come without a gasket; reuse the old gasket. Newer bikes have a different part number for the same air filter with a new gasket. Old gasket, new gasket, it doesn't matter as long as you use a gasket and don't leave it out. If there are a lot of big solid pieces in the air box--bugs, leaves, etc.--fabricate some pieces of screen for the outside of the air inlet tubes.

·
38,103 Posts
I didn't see a need to type assembly lube twice in the same post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts