StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gives?

I have a 2005 vee with 27k on the clock. Recently did it's first valve job with a lot of help at a tech day and my fuel mileage has dropped about 2mpg. It's not a big deal, but kinda frustrating that i'm getting 20 or so miles less per tank.

Bike has been dyno tuned in the past... could the valve adjust have thrown the tune off?

and yes, i re-synched the throttle bodies.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
2mpg is well within the margin of error due to variable differences between the fuel, weather and speed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2mpg is well within the margin of error due to variable differences between the fuel, weather and speed.
the drop is consistent over three tanks of gas from my normal stations. I have been riding it the same as always.

I'd have to say leave well enough alone. If the valves were in spec why change them?
what? they are all in spec now. 6 out of 8 were not in spec when i did the check.

·
38,103 Posts
the drop is consistent over three tanks of gas from my normal stations. I have been riding it the same as always.
That's not a valid scientific experiment. What if your local stations went from summer blend to winter blend fuel? Could the air temperature been lower since the valve work? Might you have been going just a little faster on average lately? 2mpg is insignificant statistically.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Yep, mine has dropped 2-3 mpg in the last few weeks due to the cooler temps. Same as every year at this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I mean no disrespect, but wow! You fellas really seem all worked up on this mileage thing between this and the 9 page long thread. 2 mpg? Really? No offense, but riding a big bike like a V-Strom is not a way to save money. Better mileage than many cars for sure, but maintenance and tires will offset alot of those costs.

What would 2 mpg really cost you in the long run anyway? If you are that cash strapped you should try a 250 ninja/cbr/dual sport. Huge fun in a little economical package.

I get 40 or so mpg, many times probably a bit less. I make a quick mental calculation at fill up and call it good. Good enough for me anyway. I haven't started a spreadsheet yet.... What would I have achieved if I found out I got 2mpg more of less? Certainly not going to push me to a different bike. I understand there are people that have to analyze this stuff to death, but to what end???? Can you say OCD?

Overall the mpg seems to be about the same as many other full size motorcycles I have had.

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
yep, with my IBA rides, I've documented 4-5 mpg loss of fuel economy when it rains on my Vee

its really hard to document milage when you ride a few miles here and a few miles there, when you travel longs distances to use whole tanks of fuel under similar conditions, only then do you start seeing the wide variation in fuel economy

in winter, cold air = free horsepower cause the air is denser, denser air requires more fuel to mix, fuel economy can drop dramaticly, My SV650 that would get 48mpg on the highway in summer would only get 32mpg on the highway in winter freezing temps

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
could a loose intake boot (the bit of rubber from the throttle body to the head) being loos cause a loss in mileage as well?

·
38,103 Posts
could a loose intake boot (the bit of rubber from the throttle body to the head) being loos cause a loss in mileage as well?
That can cause an air leak which can result in a number of running problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That can cause an air leak which can result in a number of running problems.
yeah. had it pop all the way off yesterday after work... had to do little operation. runs better now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts