StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrrggghhh...in preparation for a long trip this summer I'm pouring over my '06 Wee. I bought the bike with 16k and now have almost 20. Long story short is that after steeling myself for an unpleasant job I find that 6 of my 8 valves are out of spec and one on the low limit. One lone exhaust sits at .010' one at .008 & 2 at .007. The intakes are all out; not much but 2 at .003 and 2 at .0025. I haven't pulled the buckets yet, ran out of time today so I'm not sure of what shims I have. Any suggestions on a shim kit that won't break the bank but has a good selection? Someone has also changed the plugs, pulled out NGK CR8EK will be installing NGK CR8EIX and a K&N air filter. The bike ran great prior to this discovery. Any suggestion would be helpful! Sorry, this post was accidentally posted in the 2012 forum originally.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The Hot Cams Refill Valve Shim Packages - 7.48mm OD / 1.50-1.75mm HCSHIM04 will probably cover the shims you will need, have more shims in the sizes you need, and cost less than a full kit. Do recheck the the measurements were done right, maybe involving another person. That many out of range is extremely unusual.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I worked quality control for years in the aerospace industry. Im going to recheck with a different set of shims. Believe me I'd love nothing more than to say upon reinspection I was wrong (not the first or last time). I'll repost if any changes.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Thanks! I worked quality control for years in the aerospace industry. Im going to recheck with a different set of shims. Believe me I'd love nothing more than to say upon reinspection I was wrong (not the first or last time). I'll repost if any changes.
Might want to take Greywolf's wisdom at heart. He's not just the volume of knowledge here, he wrote most of it and he's seldom wrong. Just sayin....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On recheck with a different set of shims only one valve is .001 under low spec limit (.0002) difference between shims with mics). My error might have been the amount of drag felt when snaking around to get under the cams and over the buckets. It takes some side to side "wiggling" to get everything to go. Of course the tight valve is on the rear cylinder and I dread the cam chain tensioner back there. Thanks for letting me panic a bit and saying get back to it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Drag is for screw adjusters that have continuous adjustment potential. Shim adjusted valve clearances are go/no go. If you can get a gauge in there and can't get the next larger one in, write the smaller gauge in as the present clearance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roger that! It's my first experience with shim adjustments. The strom is another new chapter of things to learn. Thanks for the sharing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Amazing how well the Wee's valves stay in adjustment. My current 2006 with approx 62,000 miles on it are still right in middle range of spec according to my mechanic's telephone call to me yesterday. That is sort of amazing ... they have never been adjusted and all still in spec.

Of course saying that is probably the kiss of death and when I check them again at around 75,000 miles or so, they will probably all need adjustments. :confused: So I'll enjoy it while I can.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Get the refill kit. I did not but lucked out. The rear cylinder is not too bad getting out the chain adjustment screw. Putting it back was the pain. Take out the screw for the brake line, I think it would have been easy if I had taken the rear wheel off.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
According to this link,

Performed Valve Job w/many pictures for 650(warning 56k)

You do not have to remove the cam chain tension adjusters, to release the tension. Or to remove and reinstall the cams. I have always removed the bolt and spring in the past, but apparently you do not have to. Looks like you just press on the pawl and push the tensioner back in or pull up on the chain.

On edit; whoops I just noticed the 2012 date, I though the last reply was 2 weeks old, not a year and 2 weeks

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Most likely, you do not need to purchase a shim kit.

This is what I did, I determined what size shims I needed. I took the shims that were in the engine, to my local dealer, and traded them "even" for the correct size. They got my old shims and I got a set of shims that fit.

This article might help you with some of the steps: 2007 DL-650 Valve Check and Adjustment | Black Lab Adventures

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I borrowed the shop shim set from our local Suzuki dealer over a weekend and returned it first thing Monday morning.

Also kept a record or what shims I'd put in so that next time I can measure the clearance and know exactly what shims I'm going to need.

This might not work if your dealer wont play ball but worked good for me.

PS Very good write up from BlackLab re adjusting valves, appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts