StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with the valve adjustments. I cannot get the chain tensioner to release.

I am following these instructions:
Suzuki V-Strom DL650 Valve Check and Adjustment

I have taken all of the tension out of the tensioner by backing the bolt all of the way. My problem is that i cannot get the little tab to release to release the tension on the cam chain. I have tried pushing on the tab with a screwdriver but nothing budges. From the videos i have watched, this looks like it should be easy. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I've done this work twice.

On my 2012 Wee, at least, I recall having to completely remove the tensioning bolt and spring from the engine (they come out together - not terribly difficult to get back in place).

Even then I recall having a bit of trouble getting the chain loose enough to remove a cam, but I eventually got it. I did this work about 10 months ago.

Hope this helps, somehow. Good luck.

:smile2:

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the adjuster to release. It just needed a little persuasion on the handle of the screwdriver to get it to release. I almost resorted to taking out the entire cam chain adjuster out of frustration. There is not a lot of extra room when it is released but there is just enough room to move the cam out of the way to remove the buckets.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Hope you zip tied the chain to the cam sprocket. That way you don't have to fuss with counting chain links and worrying if they are in the correct position.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you zip tied the chain to the cam sprocket. That way you don't have to fuss with counting chain links and worrying if they are in the correct position.
I used a bungee cord so nothing can slip. The zip tie idea is also a good one.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Out of curiosity, how many miles since last inspection/adjustment? And what if any adjustments were required? Thanks.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the question is for me, this is the first valve check at 15,000 miles. All four exhaust valves are at the minimum of 2mm so I will be changing the shims. The intake valves are all well within spec so no changes there.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If the question is for me, this is the first valve check at 15,000 miles. All four exhaust valves are at the minimum of 2mm so I will be changing the shims. The intake valves are all well within spec so no changes there.

Me, I move all the valves out to max while everything is apart.

Loose valves are happy valves!

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
That is typical on initial inspection for most who have checked their valves or had done by a trustworthy/reputable mechanic. The first inspection is the most important, if adjustments are made they don't change drastically after that. Some neglect their valves and assume all is well, but I will say that I am not aware of anyone burning up their valves yet on any Strom. Properly adjusted the engine will run better and better for longer, that's my opinion and I'm gonna stick with it. :smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts