StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be comming to the area in June with my wife for a week.
We will be staying near the dragon. We plan on doing day trips from there.
Need to include some tourist type breaks for the wife (shopping).
Any info would be appreciated.
Places to see & places not to be.
I'm looking forward to some good BBQ.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Several guys on here live in that area. I won't call anyone out, but they should be able to give you several suggestions. Give it a few days and see if/when they chime in.

Tige

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dragon

There is a lot of great shopping in Seiverville (outlet stores) and heading south towards Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Places to stay are optional. There is one hotel in Pigeon Forge that more or less caters to people doing the dragon. They gave us maps of the dragon and other areas. I think they gave us a discount as well. And of course you can ride further and go over the mountain to Cherokee N.C. The name of the hotel is America's Best Value Inn right off the main drag in P.F. Pm if ya want for more info in this area.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Iron Horse MC Campground

You may want to check out Iron Horse MC Campground. They have very nice cabins you can rent. Even cabins with cooking facilities. It is a wonderful place and and easy ride to Cherokee. Also you will meet other riders for rides and suggestions for rides.

·
Banned
307 Posts
The Majectic Triangle

I'm going to be comming to the area in June with my wife for a week.
We will be staying near the dragon. We plan on doing day trips from there.
Need to include some tourist type breaks for the wife (shopping).
Any info would be appreciated.
Places to see & places not to be.
I'm looking forward to some good BBQ.
for best riding check out the majectic triangle. as in ride around in between these three points on a map.
1. blowing rock NC.
2. Helen GA.
3. Deal's Gap NC.
has everything you looking for and more. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
There's a motel in Townsend TN (Talley Ho) that is reasonable and has door front parking and a buffet breakfast rest. next door (nice, old style motel). Townsend is just outside the SMNP and is much more calm than Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. V good BBQ across the road. Good access to HWY 129/28/Cherohala Skyway via the foothills parkway. Dirt roads out of the cades cove loop. Long day trips to the Helen/Suches GA area are easily done.
Easy to cut across to Pigeon Forge via Hwy 321 to Hwy 441 if outlet shopping, crowded roads, and county and western stage shows are req'd. Also ALF's Bar (Hwy 441 between Pigeon Forge and Seiverville) has good cheese burgers,onion rings and cold beer (could be considered redneck).
Hell, I think I'll go for the weekend.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.
It's hard sometimes judging how long a section will take when your in the mountains. What looks like a staright line on the map can turn into a long winding road, which is not a bad thing.
I have booked in at the Iron Horse and plan on day trips from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
for best riding check out the majectic triangle. as in ride around in between these three points on a map.
1. blowing rock NC.
2. Helen GA.
3. Deal's Gap NC.
has everything you looking for and more. :thumbup1:
...Good advice. Since your wife is tagging along ensure you make it to Helen, GA. It's a very unique Faux-German village in the north GA mountains...straight down 127 too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...Good advice. Since your wife is tagging along ensure you make it to Helen, GA. It's a very unique Faux-German village in the north GA mountains...straight down 127 too.
Sounds good.
I picked up a book called "Great American Motorcycle Tours" which has some good detail of that area.
It's a decent book, shows the better roads (for biking) in the area and talks about restaurants and site seeing. Its a good mix
In the book the also recommends going through Highlands NC on the way down to Helen.
Helen looks like a good place to stop for lunch.
German beer gardens...:D

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Take a look at www.tailofthedragon.com and www.killboy.com these sites will point you to the places to stay and eat and Killboy will take your picture. They're nice people!

There's a Microtel in Robbinsville NC that caters to riders..(at the start of the dragon).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check out Last Month ROadrunner Magazine. JAN issue i think.

In last months ROADRUNNER Magazine, there were a nice write up(ride report with map) about the area and places you are gonna be at. Try to back order a issue if the stores are out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If it were me , I'd by all means stay at the Iron Horse MC Campground . Bro , you can ride for ever around here and hardly go wrong . As for BBQ , what I can tell you is to NOT eat at the Carolina Smokehouse in Cashiers NC . If you are in Cashiers at anytime , there is a resturaunt called , " The Cornicopia that service really good food at resonable prices and they have a pork bbq samich that rocks out loud .

Not to sound smart alec or anything , but just ride , ride , ride , you can hardly go wrong here . BUT...... If you don't take in the North Georgia routes as well , you missed out on a lot . I wold make it a point to visit TWO ( Two Wheels Only ) campground in Suches Ga . They also have great food and the riding IMHO is superior to here by far . You might think on dropping in on Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground as well . They also service good food and some serious man killer derserts . Their death by chocolate will have you doing flips in the pillion position . LOL . BRMC is just a few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkaway and a great ride . There is a really good Mexican resturaunt called El Pobro several miles past BRMC on 276 . I mean AWESOME Mexican Fare .

PO

links

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

http://www.twowheelsonly.com/

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

May I add this . I live here in the area right dead middle of all of where you are going to be . So keep in touch and maybe some of us can hook up with you . Until you have been in this area , you simply can't understand how much we all enjoy Strommers coming in to let us show them around . If you don't end up with at least one , most likely several folks wanting to be your guide , I'll be amazed . Let us know , we're nice folks and we know where the GOOD GRUB is . LOL

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds good.
I picked up a book called "Great American Motorcycle Tours" which has some good detail of that area.
It's a decent book, shows the better roads (for biking) in the area and talks about restaurants and site seeing. Its a good mix
In the book the also recommends going through Highlands NC on the way down to Helen.
Helen looks like a good place to stop for lunch.
German beer gardens...:D

Dave ,

I only live about 15 miles from Highlands . Let me know . I don't drink , but I know how to rob a drunk . LOL .

Wes

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In last months ROADRUNNER Magazine, there were a nice write up(ride report with map) about the area and places you are gonna be at. Try to back order a issue if the stores are out.
I have a copy of Feb issue.
Some of the rides they have shown I plan on giving a try.
It seems like a week won't be enough.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave ,

I only live about 15 miles from Highlands . Let me know . I don't drink , but I know how to rob a drunk . LOL .

Wes
Sounds good Wes.
We are going to be at the Iron Horse For the June 15 week.
I have a few routes planned.
Day 1. South towards Helen Georgia, and if there is enough time we'll swing by the Two Wheels resort.
Day 2. North to Gatilinburg and spend a bit of time in the Great Smoky Mountains park, then across to Deals gap.
Day 3. East to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Day 4&5. ????

Dave

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
Take a look at www.tailofthedragon.com and www.killboy.com these sites will point you to the places to stay and eat and Killboy will take your picture. They're nice people!

+1, probably too late this season to make a reservation, I have always stayed in one of Ron Johnson's houses (usually Treetops). but you have to book with him maybe a year in advance

perfect location out of the hustle & bustle but close enuf

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bbq?

If you get anywhere close to Asheville, N.C. during lunch hours you need to get your BBQ at 12 Bones. So good they've made Good Morning America. Rated tops in the U.S. Two locations, but the one on highway 25A would be the easiest to find. Well known enough that President Obama ate at that one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts