StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Shorting out the two terminals on the starter solenoid bypasses every other system on the bike.

It is just like having a battery and a starter, that is all so no safety switches can stop the starter from spinning.

If he has a full battery and is preforming the test correctly it is the starter or the stater cable that is the problem.

I would love to see the size of the sparks when the solenoid is jumped, that would tell me a lot.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Shorting out the two terminals on the starter solenoid bypasses every other system on the bike.

It is just like having a battery and a starter, that is all so no safety switches can stop the starter from spinning.

If he has a full battery and is preforming the test correctly it is the starter or the stater cable that is the problem.

I would love to see the size of the sparks when the solenoid is jumped, that would tell me a lot.

The size of the sparks was big enough to burn the screws almost to where it's missing a small chunk where the burn is. I could be wrong but it almost looks melted. Believe me it was pretty big. I did not hook up the battery to the starter and just opted to get another one as I found a used one from a reputable dealer on eBay for $40. If this doesn't work then I don't know what to do. I'm so ready for an Africa Twin and just about had enough of this. This is the second time I've had this problem now. The first time was due to the recall issue with the ground. Now that I think about it I had an issue last winter with the main fuse as well. Greywolf pointed out that's was it probably is and sure enough switched the fuses out and it started right up. Did I get the one out of a million screwed up stroms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
OK burning leads me to believe you are on the right track.

With the fuse blowing that could be caused by the starter but have a good look at the main battery lead going to the starter and ensure there is no damage, put some tape over the end of the cable that you removed from the starter and then perform the solenoid bypass test again, you should get no sparks.

For others to learn from a big clue in your posts is the fuel pump, the ignition switch & kill switch will stop the fuel pump as will the kickstand switch if the bike is in gear (not in neutral), the clutch switch will stop the starter from spinning but it will not stop the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'm so sorry you are going through this John, what surgery are you about to have? I too don't see how the starter could be the issue, heck I don't see how you are having any issues. :(

It's all good Brian. I have a second bike but it's the DRZ and it's useless when it's cold out. I just wanted to ride my V before winter. I'm going in for a small surgery to fix a pinched nerve in my elbow. I'll be back to work early January. Just in time for it to be way too cold to ride woohoo!

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Look for junk in between the slots of the starter commutator, apparently if there is something shorting in there the starter motor will not turn.

This Vid has some other info you might find useful, although not a V2 starter, such as locking the brushes in place outward by pushing them really hard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry it's been awhile since I have been on and I may have been able to help. I tried to do the abs by pass switch and it got to be a bit of a pain so i aborted that mission and put everything back to stock, at some point I grounded out a fuse and it took me awhile to find it because i only checked 1 leg of the fuse and not the other. I am still not sure how one leg will work but the other does not. Anyway I believe it was the ignition fuse? My brother is a master mechanic for MACK TRUCKS he said he sees it a lot.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Shorting the starter relay terminals bypasses EVERYTHING. If the starter won't spin then, the problem is not with anything else but the motor, battery and large cables.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Sorry it's been awhile since I have been on and I may have been able to help. I tried to do the abs by pass switch and it got to be a bit of a pain so i aborted that mission and put everything back to stock, at some point I grounded out a fuse and it took me awhile to find it because i only checked 1 leg of the fuse and not the other. I am still not sure how one leg will work but the other does not. Anyway I believe it was the ignition fuse? My brother is a master mechanic for MACK TRUCKS he said he sees it a lot.

Wish it were that easy. Fuses should always be the first thing one checks when there's an electrical issue.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I get my starter today and will keep you all posted. I'll probably just order a new clutch switch as well since brand new they're only $20. It will still be cheaper than bringing it to the dealer who's been around for 30 years, just sold to the biggest motorcycle dealer in my county, so I'm not looking forward to seeing what their prices will be.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
NyMeTsFaN912,
Sorry I cannot offer any scholarly advice. My motorcycle repair skills include minimal electrical experience. Sounds very frustrating. I hate frustration, and regardless of the financial pain, I would have had this thing back to the dealer a long time ago. There must be other Stromtroopers besides me that have been following your plight. I am sure you will be thrilled to get your Vee2 back on the road.
Just in time for the N.Y. Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center?

BTW, my Dad and I used to go to Mets games at Shea Stadium back in the late 60's when I lived in L.I. Good times.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
NyMeTsFaN912,

Sorry I cannot offer any scholarly advice. My motorcycle repair skills include minimal electrical experience. Sounds very frustrating. I hate frustration, and regardless of the financial pain, I would have had this thing back to the dealer a long time ago. There must be other Stromtroopers besides me that have been following your plight. I am sure you will be thrilled to get your Vee2 back on the road.

Just in time for the N.Y. Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center?

BTW, my Dad and I used to go to Mets games at Shea Stadium back in the late 60's when I lived in L.I. Good times.

Yes, frustrating is the exact word to describe this situation. I know how to work on bikes and have always done my own work. What I do know is that a motorcycle does not stop running after having plastic removed and sitting for two months. Especially when it's a 2015 with under 10k. I would love to take it to the dealer but I go on disability starting Dec. 1st and need all the money I can get to pay bills until the state finally gets around to disbursing my funds which is usually 8 weeks!! I feel like I'm in a race against time with my surgery and the winter coming so the frustration has really taken over lately. As much as I love the V2 I wish I would have kept my XT because that was and is one amazing bike. Well thanks for yours and everyone else's concern.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
More good news! They sent me the wrong starter. I doubt they even have the correct one now. Here's their listing and here's what I received. The description also says it's for a 2015 DL1000. I swear this bike is cursed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That sucks.
Althought the numbers and markings (apart from the grease) are exactly the same when you compare the listing vs what you've received. That starter is for an SV1000.

The part number you need is 31100-06G01

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
That sucks.

Althought the numbers and markings (apart from the grease) are exactly the same when you compare the listing vs what youve received. That's starter is for an SV1000.

No, what I received is a 00 and what I need is an 01 and the listing shows it's an 01. The seller refunded me in full and told me to keep it. Now who needs a starter for an SV1000?!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have been following your thread closely.
From what I have just googled it looks like the starter motor you received is the earlier SV/DL1000 one (all models) that has now been superceded by 06g01.
I can't see why it wouldn't be ok to use it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That sucks.
Althought the numbers and markings (apart from the grease) are exactly the same when you compare the listing vs what you've received. That starter is for an SV1000.

I see what you're saying. You mean the photo not the listing. Yes I didn't bother to zoom in to the photo because I trusted it when it said both my part number and that it was for a V2. It looks the same so I never thought twice about scanning the photo closely.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If the starter motor failure is the answer for your problem, I'd install the one you have now (...G00) just for the sake of test until new one arrives (...G01). It would be a great pleasure to have the bike starting nicely, even with old starter. That is what I'd do.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
If the starter motor failure is the answer for your problem, I'd install the one you have now (...G00) just for the sake of test until new one arrives (...G01). It would be a great pleasure to have the bike starting nicely, even with old starter. That is what I'd do.

If the G00 fit I would have installed it. The shaft wasn't the same. I had the old starter put back together by a starter repair company and ordered a new clutch switch. Now we wait for that. After that I guess I'll try a new kill switch.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts