StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finally got my V2 back together since the accident. Went to start her up and no cranking but full power. Checked the fuses and they all seem good. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finally got my V2 back together since the accident. Went to start her up and no cranking but full power. Checked the fuses and they all seem good. Any ideas?

Does it turn over and not fire, or nothing like the starter is not turning?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
John,

The statement is not as clear as you think. What do you mean by full power?

No cranking = will not turn over with starter?

Check the clutch switch.
Kickstand switch, neutral switch. Lights should dim when starter button is pressed? Fuel pump will cycle if all of the above switchs are working.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The side stand switch and kill switch will show a CHEC on the display. The neutral switch can only be a problem if there is also a side stand switch problem. The clutch lever switch will just cause the starter motor not to spin. The headlight will go out when the start button is pressed, not just dim. The start switch is almost never a problem except with the headlights. The starter contacts only activate a relay and are very lightly taxed. 99% of the time, the symptoms described with no CHEC displayed are due to the clutch lever switch.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking it's the starter switch since it was pretty dirty from the accident. When I press it the headlight shuts off as it normally does. If the starter switch was bad would it still kill the headlight when depressed?
No chec or anything out of the ordinary. The bike has full power and just won't crank. I checked the clutch switch and the wires were connected and fine. The fuel pump primes and when I turn the throttle makes a whining sound.
Before I pulled the bike apart the bike ran absolutely fine. Something went wrong between disassembly and assembly.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tomorrow morning before work I will try to mess with the clutch switch connectors again. I had to change my handle bars because they were bent so I had the wiring and levers hanging off to the side and they were moved around often. I can see this disturbing the wiring but since I checked the connectors and they were still firmly connected I don't know what else to check on the clutch switch.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Run one wire between negative on battery and one of the screws visible on the metal bracket between the seat and the tank (visible with seat removed). If the bike starts, you have broken "ground" connection wire.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Run one wire between negative on battery and one of the screws visible on the metal bracket between the seat and the tank (visible with seat removed). If the bike starts, you have broken "ground" connection wire.

I'm not sure I understand that. How would that allow the bike to start?

·
38,103 Posts
You can check the clutch switch by temporarily connecting the two wires electrically. If that allows starting, replace the switch.

The contacts on the start switch that activate the starter relay are separate from the contacts that cut off the headlight.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can check the clutch switch by temporarily connecting the two wires electrically. If that allows starting, replace the switch.

The contacts on the start switch that activate the starter relay are separate from the contacts that cut off the headlight.

Ok, so I can unplug the two connectors on the clutch switch and touch them together? Then hit the starter button and the bike should start? Sorry but anything electric is the one part of motorcycle and car mechanics that I've always struggled with.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Did your clutch lever get bent in the crash?

If your switch turns out to be okay and/ or you have replaced the switch and the issue isn't fixed you might think about the clutch lever. On my 2012 DL650 and my wife's Gladius bent clutch levers casued the clutch switch to not activate properly.

(Have not yet bent the clutch lever on my DL1000 so don't know if this would also be true here.)

..Tom

·
38,103 Posts
Ok, so I can unplug the two connectors on the clutch switch and touch them together? Then hit the starter button and the bike should start? Sorry but anything electric is the one part of motorcycle and car mechanics that I've always struggled with.
Just make sure the metal parts of the connectors are touching and that is how it works. You may need to add a paper clip jumper to make sure you have contact.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did your clutch lever get bent in the crash?

If your switch turns out to be okay and/ or you have replaced the switch and the issue isn't fixed you might think about the clutch lever. On my 2012 DL650 and my wife's Gladius bent clutch levers casued the clutch switch to not activate properly.

(Have not yet bent the clutch lever on my DL1000 so don't know if this would also be true here.)

..Tom

No actually the bike fell on the right side. Clutch lever untouched. Everything worked fine until I took it apart. I guess I'll see tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm not sure I understand that. How would that allow the bike to start?

Have you heard about Suzuki's recall on this bike? One of the things that make part of that recall is the ground wire that loses connection. I would explain you the wire we are talking about but only if your bike starts after the "test-wire" I told you to run.
People that have broken connection on ground wire can not start the bike and temporary solution is the wire they use until new one is installed by their dealer. Now it's up to you to believe it or not, to try it or not.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you heard about Suzuki's recall on this bike? One of the things that make part of that recall is the ground wire that loses connection. I would explain you the wire we are talking about but only if your bike starts after the "test-wire" I told you to run.

People that have broken connection on ground wire can not start the bike and temporary solution is the wire they use until new one is installed by their dealer. Now it's up to you to believe it or not, to try it or not.

I already had the recall done and that was because it caused the bike not to start. I'm going outside in a little while to mess with the clutch switch and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Go out now and catch that monster moon on the horizon

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I gave it a shot and still nothing. Touched both parts of the metal connectors at the clutch switch together, hit start and nothing. Added a paper clip as a jumper and nothing. No CHEC nothing out of the ordinary. I'm clueless now.

·
38,103 Posts
A more extensive tracing of the circuits will need to be done then. The next thing I would try is shorting out the two large terminals on the starter relay with a large bit of metal to make sure the starter motor will spin then. Wear eye protection and be prepared for a large spark.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts