StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m up here in Alaska and I’m on gravel roads quite a bit plus our infamous road construction. It seems that when I get into thick, deep gravel or super soft road construction the handle bars want to saw back and forth. It can be quite a handful at times. Also after a 100 miles of gravel road it is pretty fatiguing.
I like the suspension on the bike and have adjusted it to what I think is good, I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the forks or if it’s something a steering damper would be best for. Nothings broke, just want better performance.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
How are your steering stem bearings?
Worn, adjusted correctly?

Back in the day riders would tighten up the steering stem some to improve straight line stability. (That was pre-steering dampners!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering stem bearings seem to be ok, I’ve never adjusted them but have no reason to believe they are worn out. It’s only certain times when I get into nasty stuff that this happens, most gravel roads aren’t a problem.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What tires do you have? It makes a difference. and you are going to get people telling you about their favorite tires. worn tires are worse. get good tires and an adjustable steering damper and you will breath a lot easier.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So I’m up here in Alaska and I’m on gravel roads quite a bit plus our infamous road construction. It seems that when I get into thick, deep gravel or super soft road construction the handle bars want to saw back and forth. It can be quite a handful at times. Also after a 100 miles of gravel road it is pretty fatiguing.
I like the suspension on the bike and have adjusted it to what I think is good, I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the forks or if it’s something a steering damper would be best for. Nothings broke, just want better performance.
I think you will find that your suspension is fine. A steering damper will help with arm fatigue but won't cure the wallowing. It is a geometry issue. If it happens often enough to bother you, you could lower the rear an inch, with links, and leave your front forks in the stock position.
Alternatively, if you stand up ... weight one peg more than the other. (its a dirt bike thing)

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Steering damper prevents tank slappers, it can save your butt when you hit the deep stuff. I was up there with mine and it saved me at least 3 times. That deep gravel can sneak up on you unexpected sometimes. Add a Scotts and a set of fork covers and you should be good up there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I don’t think it’s the forks either, a damper would help some which is all I really need. Too bad Scott doesn’t make a damper for the Vee2, nor does pro moto billet or GPR. Öhlins makes one that is sort of universal, just need to come up with mounting options.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess you can’t edit your posts with the new system.
I said I think it’s not the forks but I did talk to a few suspension guys that do it for a living and they told me I need to set my suspension up properly before I think I need a steering damper.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I disagree with your suspension experts. The situation is that on a soft surface such as deepish gravel or sand, the front tire sinks in and the contact patch moves forward. This reduces the normal straight line stability. this instability is more pronounced on bikes with steepish fork angles such as the V stroms. There is a time and a place for a steering damper and soft surfaces really need one.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
If you do a search using my name I did a post on fitting a Scotts damper from a Wee to my V2.

It's easy with basic hand tools and a drill.

The secret is keep the power on to keep the font light.

I lowered the front of my V2, it makes the bike steer quicker but it also feels lighter and more nimble so it helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses. I’ll probably do new springs as I’ve always thought they were under spring for me. I’ll see how that works but I’m thinking there is a Scott’s in my future.
Thanks Rolex for the post info.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Many people consider a damper expensive but I think they are cheap insurance, they can save you time and money if they stop just one accident.

I got a call one day to tell me I was successful in my application for the best job in the world, the next day I high sided my WR450f and broke my collarbone, there and then I decided all my major rides would have a damper fitted.

Often the damper is going about it's business and you don't even know it's there but every now and then you know it has saved your ass.

A few months back I was hit in the front wheel by a Kangaroo, I have no doubt if I did not have the Scotts the bride and I would have spent some time sliding down a dirt road and you know she would never let me forget that one.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
This is my original post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Rolex, I’ll probably be hitting you up if I get a Scott’s on your instillation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts