Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has experienced any wobbling/ instability at high speeds on their V2, particularly with luggage.

My 2012 650 was totaled after a tank slapper. I had full luggage and was accelerating for a pass, it turns out that is a recipe for disaster on the 650. I've read reviews saying the V2 is very stable but I would like some more input on the subject.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I did a 10,000 mile trip, coast to coast and down the west coast. I put a brand new set of Torrence Next tires on, and used Dyna Beads for balancing, before my trip and was more than pleased with them. At times, I did hit speeds, a little on the 90+ side(crossed Nevada on Rt 80, always over 80). I never had the slightest bid of instability at all. The more I went over 80 mph, the more, the stock windshields upper half, would vibrate, making my Nuvi, shake like a dog, hitting cinnamon seeds. It was a subliminal reminder to slow down.
I have a set of Jessie 10" bags and center box, mounted on the V2, which surprisingly don't seem to cause any problems, even at high speeds. I also have a 2012 Wee, Adventure model, which does get head shake while decelerating, even within speed limits. I feel the racks that came with it, might be flimsy and part of the problem. It doesn't have a problem when the bags of off.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't shatter the speed limit, but have had her up around 90 on some interstates due to the surrounding traffic speeds. So far she is rock solid at every MPH.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got my 2014 DL1000 up to 115 with all 3 Givi cases on it. There were 4 of us riding together - a 2015 BMW 1200 GS Adventure, a 2003 BMW GS1150 and a 2012?? Super Tenere. The 2015 BMW was leading us and he just took off and we all followed! I was surprised that they didn't out run me - I stayed right on their arse!

My friend with the 2015 BMW radioed me and asked how fast I was going. I said I wasn't looking at the speedo! He said that he shut it down at 115 mph. I know that the DL has a problem with the speedo being correct so my guess is it was much higher than 115. Still - it was really fun to see all the bikes stick together.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has experienced any wobbling/ instability at high speeds on their V2, particularly with luggage.

My 2012 650 was totaled after a tank slapper. I had full luggage and was accelerating for a pass, it turns out that is a recipe for disaster on the 650. I've read reviews saying the V2 is very stable but I would like some more input on the subject.
How fast were you going when that happened?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yeah, I would like to know how fast too. I have had my 2012 Wee up to 125 indicated and it was stable. Top case but no bags, and an oversized Givi windshield.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
One thing that has a great effect on stability is an overweight top box.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was accelerating pretty hard (keeping up with 1300's)and may have hit 90 when it started. I had a sleeping bag in my top case. Tried to keep most of the weight in the adventure side cases (which I know have a pretty low speed warning on them)

·
Registered
18 Posts
High speed is relative with the strom. I had it over 100 a couple times with a top case and had no issues. When I was young and dumber (still dumb) I often went well past 100 on other rides. My z1000 was scary above 125 with how much it felt unstable. This was all on a closed course...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I rode up through Spain and France in the summer, panniers & top box loaded, stuff strapped to the top box too. The bike was rock solid everywhere 100+ mph on motorways, evil crosswinds over the Millau Viaduct. Love my V2 does everything I've asked it to, so far well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can feel the slipstream from trucks gently wagging the bike from side to side slightly at 70mph plus. My fault as I usually ride with my Givi 52L topbox and Suzuki panniers attached. The effect varies depending on the wind direction. There is a warning about riding at high speeds with the luggage on anyway so I use that as excuse to behave myself. Its never caused me any real concern and have noticed it on other bikes too. I felt a similar thing on a Triumph 1200 Explorer. The V-Strom feels super stable at speed over bumpy roads. Years ago I had a GPZ900 that was prone to violent lock to lock tank slappers. These usually involved high speed, bumps and bends :-(

·
Registered
60 Posts
On a 2 day 1K mile blitz across Utah & Nevada the speed limit on the slab in Utah was 80, so everyone was going around 85. What's another 15 to see what 100 felt like. Rock solid!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
New to all of this. What are Dyna Beads? Also, do fork stabilizers help with high speed stability?
Dyna beads you put in your tires in lieu of balancing them with traditional weights.

Do fork stabilizers help with high speed stability? Maybe a little bit, I have had the fork stabilizer so long I forget what it feels like to ride without. I would have to ride them back to back, it seems to help more with crosswinds and cornering on bumpy roads.

I would think a steering stabilizer or steering dampers would be more useful to avoid tankslappers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New to all of this. What are Dyna Beads? Also, do fork stabilizers help with high speed stability?
Tire pressures, suspension settings and weight distribution are the things to look at.
Make sure the bike is set up for your weight/load; is the bike sprung and preload adjusted correctly for the weight your putting on it and check tire pressures often.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2012 Vee new to me a couple months ago. Touched 100 today for a very short time on an empty smooth road and the bike was rock solid. Top and side bags on and lightly loaded. The longer I ride this bike the better I like it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts