StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just picked up my new '14 V2 last Tuesday. I really like the way it rides and handles but there's a problem. Sometimes it won't shift into third ( and sometimes 4th ) gear. I've been riding for quite a few years so I'm very sure it's not operator error. I rode the bike to Suzuki of Dalton (great people), and their mechanic rode the bike for 20 minutes. It shifted perfectly. It's been a intermittant problem and it did it again on my way home.

I'll be taking it in for the 600 mile check and I'm planning on leaving it with them so they can ride the bike and really check it out.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? What was the fix?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Yes mine was like that stock too, there is an arm that connects to the spline that arm connects to a rod that you use to adjust the gear shifter height along with the position of the arm. The position of the arm should be at 90 degrees. I can take a picture for you if you need further clarification.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
As Tenny80 says the linkage is the first thing to check. Later on in ownership often that same linkage may need lube but that isn't likely the issue today.

Even though you/we have lots of experience in many cases it is user error.. We all get in habits of shifting certain ways based on bikes we are used to. When we get on a different bike with different ergonomics often we don't move the shifter quite right and as a result have bad shifts.

I haven't had anyone on the back on my DL1000 but I found on the 650's when I had a passenger my sitting position was a bit different and as a result I would occasionally mess up shifts when riding two up (or when carrying really large things in the back seat.)

Assuming the linkage is adjusted properly for you the odds are the problem will disappear or minimize as you get more seat time on it.

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Is this occurring while wearing boots or tennis shoes? Also I have found that the Stroms typically require a pretty firm upshift unless you are short shifting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, Thanks for the replies.

I adjusted the linkage when I got home and there was no improvement. I always ride with boots and always solo.

I've tried pre-loading the shift linkage before using the clutch and sometimes it still does it. I've shifted fast, slow, and everything in between. The bike has less than 600 miles on it so I haven't wound it up yet.

Also - How do I post pictures on this forum?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Try this:
- When upshifting, try to be as quick as possible and shift it when the clutch is only half way pulled in.
- When downshifting keep some throttle so the engine never goes down to idle rpm. I mean, keep it on 1500rpm or so.

That is just for the sake of testing.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I put my photos on photobucket and then grab the IMG link for them to paste in here. It will look like [ IMG ]http://www.photobucket.com/yourimagelink.jpg[ /IMG ], but without any spaces.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is the shifting problem the same whether the engine is cold or hot??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't matter - hot or cold.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I get the clunky shift like the older Vees did going from first to second. Sometimes if I shift at about 3000 rpms, it shifts normally but thats not often. And the bike temp has little efect on it, it seems a little better for the first 500 miles with new oil in it.

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Hello, Thanks for the replies.

I adjusted the linkage when I got home and there was no improvement. I always ride with boots and always solo.

I've tried pre-loading the shift linkage before using the clutch and sometimes it still does it. I've shifted fast, slow, and everything in between. The bike has less than 600 miles on it so I haven't wound it up yet.

Change the oil and filter.......wind it up, your worrying over nothing in that regard. Need another Strom owner to take it for a spin, I am sure they can tell you whether something feels normal or not.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't use a photo-sharing site, so I click on the Go Advanced tab, then there is a paperclip icon for attaching. Click Choose File (from your computer) and then Upload.

Sorry, no clues about the shifting problem. Sometimes a good synthetic oil will help with shifting issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes mine was like that stock too, there is an arm that connects to the spline that arm connects to a rod that you use to adjust the gear shifter height along with the position of the arm. The position of the arm should be at 90 degrees. I can take a picture for you if you need further clarification.
Hello, Please post a picture if you can. This is making me crazy.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hello, Please post a picture if you can. This is making me crazy.
I'm assuming since the bike is so new, you have not lowered the footpegs? When I lowered the pegs, it changed the angle of the shift linkage, making shifting very cranky. I added some length back to the linkage with some misc. hardware. Here is a pic of my 650 with the lowered peg, extended linkage and proper angle on the shifter arm.

Edit: Just looked at the V2, and the linkage is different and probably not affected by lowering, but the principle is the same regarding the angle of the shift arm to the linkage.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for posting the picture but my linkage is different. No it's not lowered. I'm taking it in for the 600 mile check on Tuesday. I plan on leaving it there for a day or two in order to give them a chance to ride it again. Hopefully it will misfire and they can figure it out.

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture but my linkage is different. No it's not lowered. I'm taking it in for the 600 mile check on Tuesday. I plan on leaving it there for a day or two in order to give them a chance to ride it again. Hopefully it will misfire and they can figure it out.
Most here don't tend to take their bike in for a 600 mile service, but I hope they can figure out if there is indeed actually something wrong.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It is baffling isn't it. Here's a guy who has been riding quite a few years and he has a problem getting into 3rd gear from 2nd. It's an intermittent problem so he knows how to do it the rest of the time. A problem (clunking) shifting from 1st to 2nd has been reported before but I've never seen from 2nd to 3rd which is easier. My bike shifts perfectly when cold however it can be a bit finicky in town after a hard ride but he says it happens no matter the temp. You can only hope it happens to the tech when he rides it at your 600 mile service. Maybe the dealership could recommend someone who could ride your bike for an hour or so to see if it happens to him. Good luck Zig, let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't understand it either. Today (Monday) I'll take it out and try shifting without using the clutch just to see if that does anything.

Also, why would you not take it in for the 600 mile check? If the bike is messed up get it fixed under warranty.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts