StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering a new VStrom but I'm a little stuck in a Glee vs V2 loop. I'm a returning rider coming off a 10 year break and looking to get a bike for longer weekend trips and some distance exploring capabilities. My last bike was an SV650 so I'm also considering if the Glee will be too similar to that ride. Flat footing on both bikes is fine, but the V2 posture feels a little bit more comfortable.

The price on leftover 2014 models is narrowing the gap and tempting me to reach. While some reviews I've read say that the V2 handles very much the same as the Glee with the exception of the bigger power plant. The only thing I've noticed is that the Glee seems to hold its weight higher than the V2 in the unscientific lifting the bike off the side stand.

So what are the thoughts on a returning rider jumping onto a V2 over a Glee? Is the V2 refined enough in handling to make it a possibility, or is the engine that much of an "obstacle"?

·
Registered
198 Posts
it

My V is the best bike I ever owned! I am sure there is better/faster/more comfy/better off road/looking/more expensive one out there, but I smile every time I get on mine. And to be honest if I smile every time I do not care what other bike is out there.

But I still look

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I went from a Wee to Vee2. Great move. The V2 feels taller to me; don't know if it is or not.

What's your size & strength & dexterity? Are you ready for a great bike that is tall and feels top heavy at stop and coming to a stop, but really nimble underway? If so, get the V2. If not, get something else this year and a V2 next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Size and strength wise, I'm flat footed on the V2 and wouldn't feel weak pushing it around. Just holding up the bike, the 650 and the V2 seem to feel the same with the V2 feeling a little less top heavy. I guess it's boiling down to an emotional decision for me. I'm drawn to the V2, but I can't help feeling like some punk kid with a fresh endorsement wanting to jump on a 'Busa. My reservation is the handling which everyone seems to like. I may have to see if I want to make the jump now or later.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
V2 over a Glee? Is the V2 refined enough in handling to make it a possibility, or is the engine that much of an "obstacle"?
The V2 has sweet handling. You need to set the suspension right for you, but that's easy with some measurements and trial, then re-set after the suspension breaks in and frees up. The V2 is the only one of the flock with front adjustments for the compression and rebound damping. The engine is certainly not an obstacle, it is an advantage. The only advantage of the 650 is lower fuel consumption.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Size and strength wise, I'm flat footed on the V2 and wouldn't feel weak pushing it around. Just holding up the bike, the 650 and the V2 seem to feel the same with the V2 feeling a little less top heavy. I guess it's boiling down to an emotional decision for me. I'm drawn to the V2, but I can't help feeling like some punk kid with a fresh endorsement wanting to jump on a 'Busa. My reservation is the handling which everyone seems to like. I may have to see if I want to make the jump now or later.
what are the V2's going for? With the US dollar I could probably give you a good deal on mine ;)

I'm considering switching bikes just for the sake of switching bikes.. I think i have adhd lol.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Kenny Mac, go for test rides. My local dealers were happy to let me ride a couple bikes(nc700x, glee, wee, v2, tiger XRx, versys 650). I am in a completely different situation and I am probably buying the glee. If I was buying just one bike, it would probably be the V2, but I have a big bike already and am looking for a small alternative as a second bike.

forgot to ask, how long since you have ridden? editing since you provided this info.

Since it has been so long, a 650 may be a good play. I rode the v2 for almost an hour and the throttle is not the friend of a ham-fist-ed newbie. If you think you have good throttle control, you may be able to modulate it. It took me just a few miles before I had it worked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to ask if the dealer would let a rusty rider on a demo ride. I might need to find a different dealer since I might have spilled the beans on that one. The Triumph dealer was trying to get me on an XRX. I was interested in that one, but pricing was too much of a stretch for what I wanted to pay.

I've read a bit about the jumpy throttle. I rode a friends R6 a couple years back, so I'm picturing that kind of "twitchy" power. I'm still circling the idea. I'm hoping I won't run out of summer before I can pull the trigger on something...anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts