StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a folding shift lever, but having trouble finding a picture of one installed on a V2.

I understand these attach directly to the splines and the linkage goes away which is cool, but when I measure from the splines to the end of the shift lever on my current bike, it is only 2.5 inches, and I don't see ANY levers that short.

Curious if anyone has a folding lever and could supply a picture?

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Any follow up on this topic? I hate that sick feeling when the shift lever becomes a pretzel...

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't that funny, the lever arrived this morning.

I took a stab at installing it, but unfortunately it won't work for two reasons.

- The lever when installed sits too close to the engine cover due to the splines on the bike being recessed. It would need some kind of adapter to pull it out from the bike about an inch or maybe a little less.
- The hole to insert it on the bike is one size too small. It could be drilled out, but then it would lose the splines and likely not be as secure. I was able to get it on by opening the gap with a screwdriver, but there was no point since it would be too recessed when on bike if inserted this way.

Original setup

New lever

It's darn close, but not going to work. If someone made an adapter to convert the larger bike spline shaft to the slightly smaller shift lever splines that would probably be OK since it would also bring the lever out slightly farther.

Anyone know where to get such a thing?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I installed SW Motech Adjustable Folding Gear pedal. It works great but it's more expensive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an email in to Touratech to see if their shifter will fit the 2014. Is the shifter/linkage set-up the same between the 2012 & 2014? Touratech doesn't have one listed under the 2014 products, only the earlier.

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
It should be a simple matter to cut the tips off and weld the folding unit to the stock shifter. All it takes is someone who can weld aluminum and the guts to cut the stock tip off that expensive stock shift lever.

Kind of reminds of those DIY sun roofs for cars in the 1970s. Not very hard, except for getting the nerve to cut that hole in a perfectly good roof.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It should be a simple matter to cut the tips off and weld the folding unit to the stock shifter. All it takes is someone who can weld aluminum and the guts to cut the stock tip off that expensive stock shift lever.

Or..., weld the arm of the folding jobbie to the base of the bent lever you're replacing ;)
though you,d have to wait to damage the first one :(

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
650 Posts
Isn't that funny, the lever arrived this morning.

I took a stab at installing it, but unfortunately it won't work for two reasons.

- The lever when installed sits too close to the engine cover due to the splines on the bike being recessed. It would need some kind of adapter to pull it out from the bike about an inch or maybe a little less.
- The hole to insert it on the bike is one size too small. It could be drilled out, but then it would lose the splines and likely not be as secure. I was able to get it on by opening the gap with a screwdriver, but there was no point since it would be too recessed when on bike if inserted this way.

Original setup

New lever

It's darn close, but not going to work. If someone made an adapter to convert the larger bike spline shaft to the slightly smaller shift lever splines that would probably be OK since it would also bring the lever out slightly farther.

Anyone know where to get such a thing?
Maybe send Blair at svracingparts an email? apparently he's quite an innovator.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ha ha :) hey he (SVracingparts) could be accused of "restrictive trade practices" if he only "duplicated" stuff from adventuretech ;)

slightly more serious, I "saved" a broken gear lever from one of my SV suzukis' - the tip had snapped off in a lowside, so I drilled and tapped a thread into the straight end of the arm, then screwed in a bolt with the rubber boot from the old lever slipped over it.I may have fitted a "locknut" against the lever arm and used a cuphead bolt. I cant remember at this time, another thought may be that I threaded the bolt through from behind the arm and fitted a dome head nut to the exposed end to hold the rubber boot on. In any case I reckoned that the bolt would either bend in an accident - not the lever arm-and be able to be straightened enough to get home, or worst case the bolt may snap off (be sacrificed) and I could just unscrew the stub and replace the bolt or improvise at the scene so to speak ;) For a sacrificial setup you wouldnt want to go beyond 3 or 4mm dia.
Certainly not a folding tip per se' but the lever should survive enough to be repairable or useable if the bike takes a nap ;)
Speaking from experience :( a folding tip brake pedal wouldnt be a bad idea either!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Verified that Touratech will not work with the newer bikes. They stated that it only fits 2002-2007 models.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, since you only paid $15 for that lever, put some heat on it and bend out outwards. It looks pretty beefy, but that what BFH's are for :bom_smash:

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I was hoping to find something that would fit inside it at its current size, and then weld it onto a fitting to fit on the bike. Then it would be sticking out just far enough and still be a cheap fix. Could make a few of those adapters so i have a spare lever in the topbox in case the folding lever broke, although I suppose carrying the stock lever would also make a decent spare.

I think more than likely this lever will just sit in my garage until end of time. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts