StromTrooper banner

V-Tom rides to Anchorage, Alaska July 2022

1138 41
In June 30,2022 I left for a ride to Anchorage Alaska, I am just getting around to posting pics.

I'm going to mainly post pictures first and then fill in commentary

Below is overviews of my route out and back, I had to change the route in two ways:
I was going to head north of Lake Superior but decided to go to Aerostich in Duluth Minnesota. Also there was flooding on the Trans Canada HIghway in the Yukon so I went out on BC Hwy 37 (was going to return that way) and instead came back on the Trans Canada Hwy's 1 and 97.

..Tom

World Ecoregion Map Line Atlas

Ecoregion Map World Atlas Screenshot
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day one, June 30, 2022. Furkot, my route planner says 1,339 km / 832 miles ahead.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Ready to go!

Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Tar

This is one of the bridges across Hwy 400 made for animals to cross. They also have tunnels under the higher but harder to get a picture.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Stop in rest area past Bruce Mines, Ontario for a (sourdough) sandwich.

Cloud Water Sky Vehicle Lake

Crossing the bridge and Saul St Marie entering USA.

Tire Water Wheel Sky Cloud

Lake Superior

Output device Communication Device Flat panel display Gadget Tablet computer

GPS shows some heavy storm cells heading my way. One got me and it came down very heavy for maybe 20 minutes,

Sky Tire Asphalt Wheel Shade

I love steam engines so when any are on my route I take picture's This one in Ashland Wi.

Sky Cloud Vertebrate Car Vehicle

Crossing the harbor bridge in Duluth, Hotel for the night.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Congrats Thomas.........!!!!
I also rode to Anchorage via other routes and destinations.......still working on my 1,250 pics. I left B'ham, Bama on Aug 2, got home Sept 5. I took the easterly route up thru Canada (Banff, Icefields, Jasper, Whitehorse) to Dawson City. Was stranded there Tuesday thru Saturday when the Ferry lost its propeller in the mighty Yukon!! Worse towns to be stranded in. Long story short: from there Top of the World Hiway, Tok, Fairbanks, attempted The Dalton (failed), Denali, Anchorage, Homer (fun!!), Hope, Seward, back by Anchorage then heading east.......looks like I came back into the USA same place you did. Met with friends in Richland/Kennewick, then hightailed it back home.......the "thrill" was over by then. Thirty five days, about 12,000 miles, camped about half that time.....all on the same rear tire!!!! (Scout 60)

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day two, July 1 : Duluth to Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada. Furkot says 1046 km / 650 miles.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

First stop Aerostich in Duluth. I bought an Aerostich Darien Riding suit and have them fix a zipper on my Roadcrafter.

Sky Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Stream engine DM&IR 2-8-8-4 #225 on the way out of Duluth

Wheel Motor vehicle Rolling stock Vehicle Train

Me in the pic to give some sense of how massive these engines were!

Train Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock

Steam engine 4-6-2 #735 in Minot ND

Sky Natural landscape Slope Cloud Grass
\

Whenever ever I see abandoned houses or farms I wonder what the story is.

Cloud Sky Natural landscape Slope Road surface

I suspect in a few thousand years these markings on the valley sides near Baden, ND will be taken as messages to the gods. (I think they are the numbers of the local football team celebrating a past major win.)

Sky Cloud Asphalt Road surface Plant

Oil wells are common in Southern Saskatchen (and norther North Dakota) \

Cloud Sky Land lot Natural landscape Terrain

This area in Southern Saskatchewan had a lot of coal (?) mining in the past before there were environmental regulations to the area is a real mess with piles of dirt all around .

Cloud Sky Road surface Afterglow Asphalt

Sun setting

Tent Shade Slope Camping Tints and shades

Tenting in Weybourne Saskatchewan.

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 3 July 2, 2022 Furkot says 906 km / 650 miles Not a lot of pictures . Things to see but most not worth pictures

Heading to Edmonton Alberta couch surfing at my nephew's place.

Sky Cloud Silo Architecture Asphalt

Lots of grain elevators

Cloud Sky Natural landscape Plant Horizon

Abandoned farms

Cloud Sky Plant Infrastructure Road surface

Wicked looking storm ahead over Regina. (Looked nasty on the radar as well.) Diverted to the west a bit to avoid it and ended up heading north just east of Moose Jaw

Train Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

CNR 4-6-0 #1158 in North Battleford, Saskatchewan

Sky Cloud Plant Hood Motor vehicle

Headed west from Battleford. Lots of Canola fields along the way. Head over to Edmonton, Alberta for the night.

..Tom

· Premium Member
3,594 Posts
If you were in Duluth, did you happen to stop at the huge train museum that is right in town?

Reactions: JTUP

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 4 July 3, 2022 Edmonton AB to Prince George, BC Stopping in the town of Jasper, BC. Furkot says 750 km 466 miles, Shorter than previous days as there wasn't much for places to spend the night over the 300 or 400 km after Prince George and I didn't feel like tenting that night.

Riding through Jasper National Park. Kodak moment every few feet!

Plant Sky Cloud Tree Motor vehicle

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Mountain Plant

Cloud Water Plant Sky Mountain

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Train Sky Wheel Cloud Plant

Steam engine CNR 4-8-2 #6015 in Jasper. Last time I saw this engine was about 45 years ago. Nice to see it is well taken care of! In was hoping to have lunch in Jasper but the town was crazy busy (Sunday of a long weekend.)You couldn't park anywhere near a restaurant and I didn't really want to leave my bike out of sight with all my stuff on it. I just grabbed some gas station food moved on.

Cloud Water Plant Sky Mountain

Cloud Sky Water Mountain Water resources

Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Fawn

Cloud Water Sky Plant Mountain

..Tom

Attachments

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you were in Duluth, did you happen to stop at the huge train museum that is right in town?
Unfortunately the timing didn't work for me but I will likely stop in sometime in the future.

..Tom

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 5 July 4, 2022 Prince George BC to Meziadin Provincial Park Furkot says 689 km / 428 miles.

Some pics on the way (not necessarily in order)

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface

Cloud Sky Land vehicle Mountain Vehicle

Wheel Mountain Tire Vehicle Water

Sky Water Water resources Mountain Ecoregion

Bear Glacier

I went by the park and went over to see Bear Glacier. If you watch Itchy Boots she stopped at the same place probably a couple of weeks later.

Plant Road surface Tree Asphalt Motor vehicle

After Bear Glacier I setup my tent and then went up Meziadin Junction to gas up and grab a bite to eat. On the way out saw this bear heading near the Park entrance. Just as I'm falling asleep around 11 pm the park ranger came by and told everyone there was a report of a grizzly in the park. (I made sure my bear spray was handy! ) I don't think the bear I saw was the grizzly.

..Tom

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 6 July 5 2022 Meziadin Provincial Park to Yukon Motorcycle Park & Wolfs Den restaurant. Furkot says 963 KM / 598 miles.
Yukon Motorcycle Park is a bit of a "Work In Process" but is a decent place to stop with a bike. I slept in my tent there, Had dinner with several other riders most didn't know each other. Food was decent and it had a nice warm feel to the place. I would stop in there again.

Cloud Plant Sky Mountain Road surface

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Water Sky Mountain Plant Lake

I think this is Teslin river.

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Infrastructure

Sky Plant Building Window Land lot

Small Forest fire

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Mountain

Plant Brown bear Tree Grizzly bear Kodiak bear

Mama bear and cubs

Cloud Sky Plant Daytime Mountain

..Tom

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 7 July 6 2022 Yukon Motorcycle Park to Motel in Tok, Alaska Furkot says 643 km / 399 miles

The day was messed up as there was a fatal crash on the Alaska Highway. Two cars had a head-on crash. :( The Alaska Highway was closed and it caused about a two hour delay. I hadn't planned any place to stay so had to just play it by ear. I was waiting in line with another rider and he suggested I could split the room he had booked in Tok. I said sure but he ended up changing his mind so I found a motel in Tok. There is a decent restaurant in Tok (Fast Eddies) but it was booked solid with a long wait so I just grabbed some takeout pizza and ate it in my room. (I had lunch at the restaurant on the way back and it was not quite as busy Nice place with decent food and service.)

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Ecoregion

Sky Cloud Mountain Ecoregion Road surface

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Mountain

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Sky

Too bad I forgot his name but he seemed to be a decent guy.

Sky Plant Road surface Tree Asphalt

US Border Customs

Truck Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree Road surface

Alaska!

..Tom

· Registered
K9 Wee
554 Posts
View attachment 311945

After Bear Glacier I setup my tent and then went up Meziadin Junction to gas up and grab a bite to eat. On the way out saw this bear heading near the Park entrance. Just as I'm falling asleep around 11 pm the park ranger came by and told everyone there was a report of a grizzly in the park. (I made sure my bear spray was handy! ) I don't think the bear I saw was the grizzly.

..Tom
Doesn't look like a black bear to me...
I did this ride back in 2017 from Northern Minnesota. I live in Grand Rapids, MN, just about 1 kilometer South of Hwy 2.

Reactions: V-Tom

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 8 July 7 2022 Tok to Anchorage Furkot says 512 km / 318 miles

Very scenic ride! One side note is if you watch Itchy Boots there was a stop were a group of British riders did a temporary fix of her fork seal. FWIW I sat on the table that is in the background although probably a couple of weeks before she was there.

Following is a bunch of pictures from this part of the ride. Not much commentary but I hope you'll like the pictures! (More from the same day following.)

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Road surface

Sky Plant Ecoregion Mountain Infrastructure

Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Road surface

Sky Plant Mountain Plant community Natural landscape
\

Sky Plant Cloud Mountain Infrastructure

Sky Mountain Plant Tree Natural environment

Sky Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

Sky Mountain Water Plant Snow

Attachments

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 8 July 7 2022 Tok to Anchorage Furkot says 512 km / 318 miles (Continued:)

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Road surface

Out of order but I love this picture!

Cloud Sky Mountain Ecoregion Plant

Cloud Sky Mountain Tire Plant

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Mountain Road surface Asphalt

Matanuska Glacier.

Cloud Sky Plant Road surface Natural landscape

Water Sky Plant Cloud Mountain

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Mountain Tree

More in next post.

..Tom

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 8 July 7 2022 Tok to Anchorage Furkot says 512 km / 318 miles (Continued:)

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

Premier Mine 0-4-0T #5 in Palmer, AK, USA

Wheel Train Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Train Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock

Alaska RR 2-8-0 #556 In Anchoarge.

After this I settled in for the night in a hotel. Next day I rode down to Seward, Alaska.

..Tom

· Premium Member
2016 DL650 bought used w/3600mi now 15000mi. 2004 Honda VTX1300 bought used w/1079mi now 103,000 mi.
411 Posts
In June 30,2022 I left for a ride to Anchorage Alaska, I am just getting around to posting pics.

I'm going to mainly post pictures first and then fill in commentary

Below is overviews of my route out and back, I had to change the route in two ways:
I was going to head north of Lake Superior but decided to go to Aerostich in Duluth Minnesota. Also there was flooding on the Trans Canada HIghway in the Yukon so I went out on BC Hwy 37 (was going to return that way) and instead came back on the Trans Canada Hwy's 1 and 97.

..Tom

View attachment 311901

View attachment 311902
Tom
We just missed each other. I road this route on June 30. My brother rode out from Minot North Dakota to meet me in Ashland Wisconsin. I was returning from Newfoundland and heading to to North Dakota to visit family before heading back to Phoenix. Our motel was right on Highway 2. You probably rode right by later in the day. My brother and I rode to Fargo North Dakota on June 30th to see my youngest brother. It was on this day that I turned over to 100,000 miles on my VTX.
From your map you rode through the town where I grew up, Rugby North Dakota. Rugby's claim to fame is the Geographical Center of North America. Did you snap a picture of the monument?

Sky Plant Tire Tree Grass
Sky Plant Flag Flag of the united states Landscape

Attached is the Garmin inReach track on my route.

Attachments

· Administrator
15,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I didn't t take a picture. In only vaguely recall seeing a sign about it (perhaps on the way in to town?). It prob was late in the afternoon when I rode through town. No earlier than 4:30 and perhaps after 5. That segment was on July 1st so we missed connecting by a day.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 42 Posts