StromTrooper banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Second last day: Winnipeg Manitoba to Nipigon, Ontario 818km, roughly 500 miles.

Member here Bob Collins @CollingsBob and I were in contact. Bob lives in Manitoba and decided to meet me in the morning and ride east with me a ways in to Ontario.

Bob no longer has a Strom His current ride is a Yamaha FJR (I think?) and a Vincent! I would have loved to see the Vincent in action!

Into Ontario:

Before we parted (near Kenora, Ontario) Bob and I filled up out tanks and parted ways. Our tanks were filled with gas, there just happened to be a liquor store there and i did buy a bottle of bourbon.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Last Day. Nipigon, Ontario to Home in Port Perry, Ontario 1,238 km, roughly 760 miles.

I had a bite to eat before riding. This was sittign outside the restaurant. Any idea what it does?

Beautiful bridge on the Trans Canada Highway east of Nipigon:

The trans Canada Highway between Thunder Bay and Sault St Marie is quite scenic. Pictures don't do it justice! if you are heading from Ontario to Western Ontario or vice versa it is worth riding that way instead of going through the USA. Pictures don't do it justice.

I stopped taking pictures around this time so this is the end of them.

Now to start thinking about my next ride.

..Tom

·
Registered
432 Posts
What you pictured is an ancient communication device. To enable it one used round flat metal discs. To choose your communication target one had to enter a sequence of random numbers which you had to remember and keep separate from other sequences of numbers. After placing the discs in a slot one waited for a hum on the handset indicating that the unit was ready for you to enter the number via the buttons. Interesting relic of a bygone era.

I still remember hitchhiking the top of Superior over 45 years ago. Spectacular scenery, was like an ocean. Mists, fog, turning into brilliant sunshine. Need to do a slow putt across the country.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did the trans Canada years ago and since have always taken #11 across the top. Will get to it again. Both routes have spectacular scenery, lower route more so. Great thread. Cheers

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did the trans Canada years ago and since have always taken #11 across the top. Will get to it again. Both routes have spectacular scenery, lower route more so. Great thread. Cheers
I've done the eastern parts of 11 to a bit east of Cochrane. For some reason I thought the rest of 11 to Thunder Bay lacked interesting scenery. I'll have to give it a go in the future.

..Tom

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've done the eastern parts of 11 to a bit east of Cochrane. For some reason I thought the rest of 11 to Thunder Bay lacked interesting scenery. I'll have to give it a go in the future.

..Tom
Agree, but quickest way to get through Ontario. Doesn't get interesting until some 100 Kms from Nipigon, good road though. About 200 Kms between fuel stops, cheapest gas across the top is in Kapuskasing. If headed west, bypass Cochrane if you can, gas up in Kap, but top up in Hearst before venturing further.

Great thread and pics. Like these journalistic threads. Cheers

Reactions: V-Tom
21 - 26 of 26 Posts