StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I recite this movie scene every time I cross the Oklahoma state line:
I don't know the movie or the context. what is the name of the movie?

..Tom

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I hope you find those Arkansas Ozark pictures. I took my wife on a few of the roads south of Branson, Mo that we ride on in the truck recently and she got motion sickness almost immediately.

I went into the Arkansas Ozarks (but don't know where the pictures are as I'm at work. If I find them I'll post them here later.

Was really nice riding! Scenic, great twisties! thanks @SECoda for making me aware of the Ozarks!

..Tom

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
All y'alls make it to Pikes Peak but did you also do Mt Evans? it's actually higher and doesn't cost to get there.
If you look hard on a clear day you can see Ohio from there!
Too much to see and not enough time, Notacop. Only had seven days, and had a lot of ground to cover. Mt Evans will give me another reason to go back....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tom,

Has your bike been pretty reliable? You have some serious miles on yours so I am hoping you have had no troubles other than routine maintenance.

NC

It's never too early to think about riding!

I only have the 2015 DL1000. The 650's have been gone for a while now. The DL1000 has 159,473 km or 99,091 miles when I last gassed it. (I may have done a little bit of riding since.) Unfortunately there has been too much ice and snow on the roads around my place over the last few weeks to ride it. :(

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Happy New Year, Tom! Thank you very much for the fine report, and the wonderful photographs.
Clearly, you had a fine time, and I reckon you rolled over invisible tire-tracks I laid down while out west
in 2006 and 2008 and a couple of times in 2010. Heck, you probably crossed my route hundreds of times.

I hope to see you in 2019's summer.
Best wishes to you and yours.
Keith

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Tom,

Has your bike been pretty reliable? You have some serious miles on yours so I am hoping you have had no troubles other than routine maintenance.

NC
I had issues with wiring harness (twice) and both were covered by Suzuki. The hydraulic clutch slave cylinder is a week spot and has caused me some issues (some self inflicted) and I had an issue with the stepper motor that operates the valve in the exhaust system (It is why 'FI' is displayed in the photo showing the temperature and appear to not be an uncommon issue on many different vehicles.)

I'm still planning long trips for 2019 just the same. :)

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Happy New Year, Tom! Thank you very much for the fine report, and the wonderful photographs.
Clearly, you had a fine time, and I reckon you rolled over invisible tire-tracks I laid down while out west
in 2006 and 2008 and a couple of times in 2010. Heck, you probably crossed my route hundreds of times.

I hope to see you in 2019's summer.
Best wishes to you and yours.
Keith
Hey Keith nice to hear from you!!! How are you doing?
I am honored to have both followed some of your footsteps and crossed some of your routes!!!

Hope to see you this year!

..Tom

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Umbrianissimo,
When planning trips I pour over maps, the paper kind. I get a general idea of where I might want to go. Online maps like Bing can work out mileage. Google Earth can show you the layout of the actual terrain and points of interest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, V-Tom, excluding the days you were working and the days at your daughter's, I figure you rode an average of more than 500 miles per day. That's a lot of time in the saddle especially when taking in all the sights. I rode to the east coast and back and put in one day of 1070 miles but what you did would be tough. Hats off to you!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Tom, awesome trip man....that kind of mileage is right up my alley. It's all about seeing the sights and having fun. Back in 2000 I rode from Ft. Lauderdale out to Sturgis and did Needles, Black Hills, Crazy Horse, Devils tower, Rushmore, etc on my RoadKing....fantastic area!

You missed the Little Big Horn Battlefield....I had always wondered what happened to Custer and how he let himself get in what must have been a bad tactical position despite the overwhelming number of Indians. When you stand where Custer fell, you understand...it was an eye opener. Anyway, i want opt go back and see that area again,...on my DL650 ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice pics and the kind of trip I want to take some day.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Tom, awesome trip man....that kind of mileage is right up my alley. It's all about seeing the sights and having fun. Back in 2000 I rode from Ft. Lauderdale out to Sturgis and did Needles, Black Hills, Crazy Horse, Devils tower, Rushmore, etc on my RoadKing....fantastic area!

You missed the Little Big Horn Battlefield....I had always wondered what happened to Custer and how he let himself get in what must have been a bad tactical position despite the overwhelming number of Indians. When you stand where Custer fell, you understand...it was an eye opener. Anyway, i want opt go back and see that area again,...on my DL650 ;)
Thanks for the comments!

I rode right by the Battlefield on I90 but didn't stop.

A Road King would be a great ride for most of the trip! (Not as fun in the twisties though.) A few years ago I had the distinct pleasure of spending most of a week on a Road King in Arizona and New Mexico ... great bike for out there for sure! (Actually first time I went north on the Coronado trail ended up being on that Road King. We didn't plan to rent Harley's but the place we had arranged to rent bike from in Phoenix totally dropped the ball.)

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Wow, V-Tom, excluding the days you were working and the days at your daughter's, I figure you rode an average of more than 500 miles per day. That's a lot of time in the saddle especially when taking in all the sights. I rode to the east coast and back and put in one day of 1070 miles but what you did would be tough. Hats off to you!
1070 miles is a big day, especially if it is in the middle of a trip! (Tip of the hat back to you!) I'm going to the Ironhorse meet up this spring. If my wife doesn't come I will slab down there in one day to save a bit of vacation time for bigger rides later in the year. (She rides her own bike and if she comes I wouldn't expect her to ride that kind of mileage so would take two days.) it would be my furthest single day.

When I'm riding solo there isn't a lot of reason to stop early and I am comfy on the bike so I can happily keep riding. I just make sure to **always** take a break every two to three hours. Consecutive 500 to 750 mile days are pretty easy for me to do if slabbing but I enjoy the shorter days on secondary roads and twisties much more.

..Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
That was a great ride report. Incredible ride you did. You must be really comfortable on your bike to be able to do a ride that big. Thanks for the story

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That was a great ride report. Incredible ride you did. You must be really comfortable on your bike to be able to do a ride that big. Thanks for the story
Thanks!

When I get some time I'll post a ride a ride I did this past July. Toronto area, Salt Lake City, Vancouver and back though Canada to home Stay tuned!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Nice ride report.

17 days and 10k km .....oddly that's almost exactly my pace this last June

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wqmhzqmuy8FADp6X9

Flew the bike to Calgary, lovely if white knuckle ride over the Rogers Pass the same day, a few days riding Southern BC mountain routes and visiting in Vancouver. Then a ride back home to Toronto with the wind on the northern Trans-Canada route

I find 750-850 km a day is "okay" when daylight is long and I'm solo ....seems I should take the time to write it up as it's likely a popular bucket list ride.
With two riders it seems 5-600 km is more practical.. found that with my son on a similar 2015 ride to the west coast also flying the bikes west. We had 22 days and used 20 but then Yellowstone, Beartooth and Port Albernie/Vancouver Island and the Inside Passage Ferry added time in a good way.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8nAPy3PetxdYyt38

We originally spec'd out 700+ per day trip but then I knocked it back to 525 per day and that worked out well. He's a type one diabetic so his energy levels vary and we did want to smell the roses. We only averaged over 700 on the plains on the way home.
With ferries and some sight seeing - 500 km a day average was fine - I always build in a rain day or two.....900-1000 km day is about my limit and that may be dropping.

Talking to ST riders in Australia ...I was a bit surprised they averaged 450 k km per day on their jaunts but I suspect that's maybe a consequence of both more riders in a group and strict speed laws in Australia.

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Nice ride report.

17 days and 10k km .....oddly that's almost exactly my pace this last June

Actually there was 12 days of riding and 5 days where the bike sat. Two of those days were training and three days were spent at my daughter's. I averaged a bit over 800 km per riding day but a few days were just over 1,000 km. I'm at the point now where (on solo rides) I can plan on 1,000 to 1,200 km days if slabbing and the bike is setup well for me so slabbing is no biggy. (My personal record is just short of 1,600 km.)

..Tom

41 - 60 of 62 Posts