StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I enjoyed your trip, V-Tom, am very familiar with the Socorro/Datil area, and tho' I know I'm closing the barn door too late, others may benefit -

A few years ago, I was driving my 4Runner east on the freeway near the AZ/NM border. Came down into a long dip across a dry wash and saw a large dust devil coming toward me in the wash. Didn't think much of it and went into it at 75 mph. Baaad mistake. It was like a giant hand slammed that SUV and tried to spin it. I came out the other side at an angle and had to fight the car straight on the road. Nearly wrecked me.......a motorcycle would've been cartwheeled into the next county. DON'T ride thru dust devils. (I know you didn't, but your comment brought back the memory)

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Nice pics and write up. Saw some big nasty dust devils in the So East part of Oregon that had recently gotten scorched. Gave the place a real Mordor aspect.
When we'd get hit by the dust devils out in the Mojave desert we were traveling slowly and they weren't huge but it's good to remember to shut the windows of the 4Runner. Gets messy otherwise.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
That looks like a great trip, V-Tom, and I'm feeling jealous! I've been to the southwest several times now on a bike, and every time I see photos of it I want to go back. I was just standing in front of that same sign as you at Pike's Peak in June.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
All y'alls make it to Pikes Peak but did you also do Mt Evans? it's actually higher and doesn't cost to get there.
If you look hard on a clear day you can see Ohio from there!

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All y'alls make it to Pikes Peak but did you also do Mt Evans? it's actually higher and doesn't cost to get there.
If you look hard on a clear day you can see Ohio from there!
I needed to save something for next time I'm down there!

..Tom

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great write-up! You have ridden pretty much everywhere. Did you think highway AZ191 heading north from the mine was the best? Many claim it's one of the best rides in the country. Living in AZ we not only get to see dust devils a lot, occasionally you have to ride through them. When they cross the road you just hold on tight and go!

·
Registered
96 Posts
All y'alls make it to Pikes Peak but did you also do Mt Evans?
I've done Mount Evans before and it was amazing. Roads are not in great shape, so you have to go slow in several places. When I got to the top, I was very winded and cold. I started the hike up the path to the very top and got passed by a group of nuns like I was standing still.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Great write-up! You have ridden pretty much everywhere. Did you think highway AZ191 heading north from the mine was the best? Many claim it's one of the best rides in the country. Living in AZ we not only get to see dust devils a lot, occasionally you have to ride through them. When they cross the road you just hold on tight and go!
It's a great ride for sure!

My wife and I rode it a few years back. We had planned to ride it on sportier bikes but the stupid rental company screwed things up and we ended up doing it on Harleys. Nice bikes but not the best choice for that road. Being alone and loaded up meant I wasn't very aggressive but enjoyed it just the same. In some ways It reminds me of the switchbacks on 89a but it has been a while since I rode that and memories might be getting mixed up.

I suspect there are dust devils and there are DUST DEVILS. I had experienced the little ones here in Canada and they are no big deal. The ones I saw down there looked like much more powerful ones and I wouldn't want to hit one of those in a 4-Runner let alone a bike!

..Tom

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great write up, thanks for sharing! I drove a car up Mt Evans in Colorado and it was scary as heck. There were people on motorcycles and bicycles while it started snowing. barely enough room for two cars, no guardrail, straight drop, slippery. I didn't envy the riders that day.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks for the nice trip report! My son and I are headed down that way in September from Massachusetts and I was very interested in your route to get down there. I had been wondering if the Natchez Trace was worth a slight detour and it's good to know it isn't all that (I'll skip it) but it seems the Ozarks are definitely a worthy destination so we'll plan to check them out.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Nuns are a bad habit to get into!

Out on Hwy 50 I noticed a dust devil working its way up one of the valleys as I was coming across it . My timing was perfect. Just as I was getting to the far side of the valley the dust devil met me and forced my sidecar rig into the other lane quite abruptly. As it was the Loneliest Road in America, there was no oncoming traffic, thankfully.
It's hard to determine the size and intensity of the dust devil from a distance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the nice trip report! My son and I are headed down that way in September from Massachusetts and I was very interested in your route to get down there. I had been wondering if the Natchez Trace was worth a slight detour and it's good to know it isn't all that (I'll skip it) but it seems the Ozarks are definitely a worthy destination so we'll plan to check them out.
If I may interject here. As I recall, the first bit of the Trace in Tennessee and Alabama is nice and scenic, but as you get deeper into Mississippi in becomes a little boring, straight roads in between rows of pine trees on either side of the road. There is a bit of history to be had though. I'll say this much, it's worth one trip at least.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I had been wondering if the Natchez Trace was worth a slight detour and it's good to know it isn't all that (I'll skip it) but it seems the Ozarks are definitely a worthy destination so we'll plan to check them out.
Previously I said this:

Went on Natchez Trace. Pretty road with a great history. If you are into that history then I am sure it would be a very interesting place to explore. For my tastes it was boring and I got off a Tupelo (and no I didn't check out Elvis' birthplace.)

I am told the part I rode was the most scenic part and it was pretty, just that for my taste it was too slow, nice scenery but nothing amazing (while riding a least) and didn't turn my crank. Lots of other people seem to like it and from what I have heard the rich history is worth the ride if you are into that (I'm not.)

If it was a slight detour then it wouldn't hurt to go on it but it isn't a Skyline Drive, Blue ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway.

..Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
@V-Tom
Thanks so much for this excellent thread and report. The pics are great, and it really helps a touring noob like me to have the distance, time and route map. Even starting from further west, this really helps me visualize what I could do in two weeks or so. Amazing also is the mileage you have on your bike. Looking at the combined total is staggering. That is a lot of seat time. The most mileage I ever put on a car was about 133K kms and that took 13 years.

Am I correct in reading the map as showing your sleep stops, as well as fuel, sights, meals etc? I'll look into Furkot as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@V-Tom
Thanks so much for this excellent thread and report. The pics are great, and it really helps a touring noob like me to have the distance, time and route map. Even starting from further west, this really helps me visualize what I could do in two weeks or so. Amazing also is the mileage you have on your bike. Looking at the combined total is staggering. That is a lot of seat time. The most mileage I ever put on a car was about 133K kms and that took 13 years.

Am I correct in reading the map as showing your sleep stops, as well as fuel, sights, meals etc? I'll look into Furkot as well.
Furkot can actually make reservations for you (that is how the they have made money up until now. They just this last week have added a subscription service for premium services that looks interesting.)
When you setup a trip you tell it when you want your day to start and end and/or the max mileage per day you want to do. It will then propose where you should stop for the night (you have the ability to over-rule it for any day if you want. There is a spot in the fiel for each "Sleep" icon tht yo ucan put a confirmation number. if there is anything in that spot the icon colour changes. (I'm a bit colourblind, I think they are blue when they don't have the confirmation and red when they do so you can quickly tell if you have confirmed the reservation.) The food stops I put in for places I wanted to eat (first three days were Southern fried chicken places!) and you can also put "maybe's" in there that will show on your way-points but not on the route itself. (It also can find twisty roads and all kinds of interesting things if you want.)

It took me a while to learn it but for me it has been well worth it!

..Tom

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the great spring/summer trip report in January. Just what I needed. Now I am thinking about bikes and it is way early in the season for that . . .

How many miles on your V-Strom and do you ride the 1000 or 650?

NC

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks for the great spring/summer trip report in January. Just what I needed. Now I am thinking about bikes and it is way early in the season for that . . .

How many miles on your V-Strom and do you ride the 1000 or 650?

NC
It's never too early to think about riding!

I only have the 2015 DL1000. The 650's have been gone for a while now. The DL1000 has 159,473 km or 99,091 miles when I last gassed it. (I may have done a little bit of riding since.) Unfortunately there has been too much ice and snow on the roads around my place over the last few weeks to ride it. :(

..Tom

21 - 40 of 62 Posts