StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a Weestrom for a season.

Liked the bike but the suspension, with the fork being the biggest offender, wasn't too spectacular.

The rear was not too bad but the fork blew thru the stroke, wasn't overly plush, harsh even, and made this weird clang when hitting sharp bumps.
Without any adustability that's all she wrote.
The bike had only 2k on it and was setup properly so there were no issues there.

I am led to believe that the V has a different/superior fork to the Wee?
is it significantly better than the Wee?
Is the rear shock different too?

I am consdiering another Strom and it would be a V for sure for the extra power and for my riding the weight would be a plus too to hold the road a bit better.

So.....I am pretty much narrowing down my inquiry to the suspension differences between the V and Wee.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Yes forks are different V cartirdge type and Wee damper rod. Both allegedly sprung to soft. Most people concerned with this put in springs and gold valves anyway.

I am not sure about the shocks but they too are of lower quality. Some get better shocks or send them to Susquatch to be tuned up.

Additionally both benefit greatly with a fork brace and tapered roller steering head bearings.

I always ride with stock till about 10K where they need freshin up anyway then I start to add or modify

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Rode a Weestrom for a season.

Liked the bike but the suspension, with the fork being the biggest offender, wasn't too spectacular.

The rear was not too bad but the fork blew thru the stroke, wasn't overly plush, harsh even, and made this weird clang when hitting sharp bumps.
Without any adustability that's all she wrote.
The bike had only 2k on it and was setup properly so there were no issues there.

I am led to believe that the V has a different/superior fork to the Wee?
is it significantly better than the Wee?
Is the rear shock different too?

I am consdiering another Strom and it would be a V for sure for the extra power and for my riding the weight would be a plus too to hold the road a bit better.

So.....I am pretty much narrowing down my inquiry to the suspension differences between the V and Wee.

Thanks in advance.
New springs and oil would have made a big difference on the Wee's fork.
The Vee's fork is nominally a higher spec item, but in the real world the performance is actually pretty similar.
Both bikes need upgrades to both the front and rear suspension.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Better design, but in practice the valving setup is still wrong and the 1000 is heavier so it doesn't help much.

That can be fixed, but it's about the same effort as putting emulators in a Wee.

Pete

·
Registered
751 Posts
I never noticed any difference in the real world.:confused:
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts